1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DmOZ "time validation"

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by French Directory, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Never said anything like that. I said we did not seek to list every site suggested. To list suggested sites is not why we exist. Many suggested sites do get listed, many wait a long time before they do, but we do have a vast quantity of spam and spider food in some categories. Editors working a category can use the suggestions and/or they can find sites for themselves. I find many sites not from the suggestions pool, I also list many sites from the pool. Our first object is to collect and collate web sites because we enjoy doing it, because it is our hobby, we collect them for the end user, we can choose how we do that, when we do that, how long we do it for and within our permissions where we do that. Some categories will get looked at more than others, because editors want to work there.

If editors consistently list badly they are like to be ex-editors before very long. If sites are misplaced etc then all categories do have hundreds of editors and so there is some quality control, that may also take some time, but we do tend to watch new editors to make sure that they do klnow what they are doing.

At present there are very few updates in the whole directory, so anyone who has reported a site for spam, misplaced or just an update has had that dealt with, we do not ofcourse undertake to always agree with some of the issues we are presented with, so not all answered as the person wished, but most updates have been dealt with by an editor as that editor believes is correct.

We have bots that search out certain sorts of sites, take them out of the directory for an editor to look at. Editors find some sites which have changed over time, we also rely on the users to flag up problems. My experience is that the directory is pretty clean of spam and we act where we are informed, just to say again that we don't always agree with reports but we do check them out. I can also assure you that editors in my experience do take their editing seriously, in the same way that I have seen people fanatical about their stamp collections or model railways. But we are not a business, we are volunteers working in our spare time for no payment.

Anonymously, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  2. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Great if I were a business I would want to follow all the rules you suggest, but if you are addressing that at DMOZ we are not a non profit business, we are not a business STOP. We are amateurs working in our spare time and collecting and collating sites because we enjoy doing it, its our hobby. Like stamp collecting or playing with model trains.

Anonymously, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  3. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Do you know what is the difference between amateur and professional?
    Professional based his actions on deep understanding and subject knowledge
    and amateur on likes and dislikes, size, shape and colors.

Going back to my Hospital and DMOZ comparison, I would hate to have an amateur Doctor
    performs my cancer surgery in his backyard tool shack the same way I would hate to have person
    who chooses sites on a bases of color, font size and pretty pictures as a Judge of what my site
    is all about.

Amateurs, eh? Now it makes sense because based on some crap you have listed in DMOZ, you surely are.

:)

fastreplies

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    fastreplies, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my own opinion YOU are VERY amateur. Going through your directory randomly I don't think you know how to spell, grammar, when and not to capitalize, etc. etc. etc.:rolleyes:

If I were you I'll wipe the dirt off your face first before looking at somebody elses. Just like a normal human being.

Sincerely Yours,
    A humanoid :D

popotalk, Jan 4, 2010 IP
    snooks and Anonymously like this.
  5. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Talking about grammar: elses

1. I’m a Webmaster and not an Editor and this is not my directory.
    2. This thread is not about “my directory” so stop personal attacks
    3. If you want to talk about “my directory” or me, then start new thread

Humanoid, eh? I would never guessed.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 4, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As Popo has kindly pointed out the directory in your sig, [are you disclaiming this as yours?] is full of issues, if you don't own it perhaps you should direct your attention to sorting it out or be so ashamed you drop the link.

Why would you worry who judges your site? Especially a directory and one that seeks to offer a service not to webamasters at all, so what you think of us is of no material consequence. I think that people will see the ridiculous statements you make for comparison for what they are, ridiculous. I know a lot of people who collect stamps who know an incredible amount about stamps and collecting them. Absolute amateurs but very knowledgeable.

Personal attacks
    sounds like one to me. Kettle pot.

Anonymously, Jan 4, 2010 IP
  7. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Your argument above is so dumb, that I won’t even honor it with reply but
    you have mentioned alleged Personal attacks and that I will address.

You said:
    and I just confirmed your own statement by saying:
    you surely are (amateurs)

Now, you tell me, how is what you yourself admitted in any way classified as
    my Personal attack?

:confused:

fastreplies

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  8. Toon-c

Toon-c Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, thanks for answering ..

It means (indirectly), become an editor so you can submit your website.
    ok, I'll think about it.

It looks great, but sorry, it's not true ..
    You are a reputed member of DP; and have more than 1k posts, so I guess you visit this forum frequently .. Do you ever look at the domain buy and sell ? "PR4 dropped, Dmoz listed" "I don't know what , Dmoz listed" etc etc ..

DOMAINS ! not websites .. the website is completely changing, and the website still listed on Dmoz (this is just an example from the latest thing I know) ..

Could you explain why you are listing parked domains ? I can explain it! editors are trying to increase the value of their parked domains, and sell them after that .. and of course, no one takes action ..

That's good to hear ..

Anyway, I appreciate your replies in here, really it's great thing you are doing .. all these posts disagreeing with you , and becoming out of line sometimes .. but you still in here, and still posting .. Thanks for that.

Toon-c, Jan 4, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Not sure which you are saying is not true.
    This is true
    Editors who consistently list badly are removed if they don't respond to being corrected.
    New editors are shadowed to see they get things right
    There are few updates offered by non-editors in the directory at the present time. It's even a comment in an official AOL blog by AOL staff. http://blog.dmoz.org/2009/12/08/2009-year-in-review-editor-and-community-achievements/
    I know that domains are sold with a DMOZ listing, and I know that many are subsequently removed. Sometimes there is no need to do that because the site does not change, but we remove the ones we find and we hope that the public who use the directory help with being our eyes if they spot a site that has changed and does need review. That's what the update button is there for as well as simply updating information.

Any editor who did that would risk ceasing to be an editor and that would really not help them if they were trying to do what you suggest. You seem to believe that an editor has some sort of control on certain areas of the directory. That is simply not true, a person's editing name at the bottom of a page often just defines the limit of their editing responsibilities. There is no where that myself and over 200 other editors cannot edit. We can and do go into categories to work, by adding and removing sites, no editor can maintain any area and be sure that another editor is not going to work in there. Any parked domains I find are removed from the directory. Any parked domains our bots find get removed from the directory. Not long ago I listed a site that should not have been listed, it stayed about 3 days before another editor. thankfully, removed it. (I must have been half asleep at the time).

Can you tell me an example of a parked domain that was listed as such. Can I ask why you did not bother to press the update button, but feel that you want to come here and berate editors about it, if you did see one that is.

Thank you for your comments that I stick around despite being hit with baseball bats. Primarily I come to answer genuine questions about the directory. It is not easy to grasp the concept we work with that mad individuals want to spend their spare time collecting web sites, that some of them spend time writing programmes to try and trap spam or find parked domains, that we seek to gather the sites for the person reading the directory and have no interest in PR, or offering a service to web masters. It's daft, but it is what it is and we do have over 3000 current editors working in that way.

10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Still waiting fastreplies or is that ranter too, for the information about if you own that directory described by Popotalk as being very amateurish with many mistakes?

11. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    popowhat, popowho... oh popotalk.
    Well, my pet parrot can talk too but I tell him all the time that talk is cheap.
    The fact that parrot can talk doesn't make him smart, it just make him popotalk nonsense.

As to you Mr. Incognito, why don't you read again what #1 point in my post says
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=13286481&postcount=46

And take piece of advice and stop attacking messengers and start talking about issues.
    I'm getting sick and tired reading your endless attacks toward Qryztufre and others
    every time people pined your Ass to the wall.

If you want to prove us being wrong, then use some evidence and not just your blabbering mouth.
    You can start by showing how and in which way I made Personal attack against you.
    There is big difference between attacking what you are saying and attacking you personally.

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  12. wyn77

wyn77 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have add my site to DMOZ web directory. but i have wait for 3 month and my site never add into that directory. how we do to DMOZ accept our site?? any tips & trick???

wyn77, Jan 4, 2010 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You have done all you can to promote your site at DMOZ it can take from a few days to a few years for a review for a possible listing. Sorry we are not a listing service, we also do not inform people if the site is or is not used.

You could do a self check by reading the guidelines at DMOZ http://www.dmoz.org/add.html to ensure that your site is listable when that review happens.

Anonymously, Jan 5, 2010 IP