1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Chmod wp-admin to 700

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by jasonsc, Jan 1, 2010.

For added protection I chmod my wp-admin directory to 700. When I need to change it I simply chmod it back to 755 through ssh.

Could this have any effect (problems) on WP work? I mean would that cause in any way for Wordpress to not work properly for normal site visitors?

Thanks.

jasonsc, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  2. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd have to go digging through the code but I believe (and it used to be this way) that calls would be made to functions within wp-admin even with normal visitors to just the blog.

It really depends on the ownership of the wp-admin directory and the files within. If they're owned by the webserver, setting them to 700 would be worthless as they'll still be accessible since they're being served by the webserver. If they're owned by your hosting account and you set it to 700, it may be an issue if functions within wp-admin are called.

theapparatus, Jan 3, 2010 IP
    jasonsc likes this.
  3. jasonsc

jasonsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well I haven't found any problems with website when I set wp-admin to 700. Also you can't load any files inside that directory if directory is not readable by public.

Would be great to hear more options on this.

Also does wp have any feature built in against brute force attacks on admin login?

jasonsc, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  4. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    theapparatus, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  5. jasonsc

jasonsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Using it now.

jasonsc, Jan 3, 2010 IP