1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay's Affiliate Program

Discussion in 'eBay' started by digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004.

1. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think sites making $1.3 mil a month are large portal sites who's been there for a long time now. Ebay program keeps paying for the bids of those people you referred to them right?

Just wondering how hard to get new signups since a lot of people already have ebay account.

Their affiliate program that lets you list items seem interesting.

eCommando, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    so are you not even willing to say where on your sites they appear? I haven't seen them anywhere.. eh, just curious :)

disgust, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry... not giving away secrets that give me an advantage. :)

digitalpoint, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  4. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    That isn't you in the elevator ebay commercial is it?

chachi, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Im interested in knowing now, ill be searching.. ;)

schlottke, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  6. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know Digitalpoint isn't going to give you any crumbs - but this is how I'd approach it (If it works I want 10%!):

Place the ebay tool on the homepage/perhaps in a pop up. Make the design of the ad stand out, so that they are tempted to click on it.

If I have a site which requires someone to join, I'd also include the ebay tool on the page - and list the benefits.

I'd also perhaps place the ebay tool in any newsletter type emails that I send out.

Ebay has a dynamic link which you can amend and place on relevant pages (i.e. link to buying Robbie Williams products on a Robbie Williams page).

That's how I'd approach it.

misohoni, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also, eBay has a relatively new API interface for getting auctions. So if you have stuff that is classified by keywords, you could use the API to format your own ads based on keywords (like items relevant to the content).

That approach of course only would work for certain types of sites.

For those that don't want to get into the programming side, they also have an editor kit to help display listings specific to any keywords.

digitalpoint, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  8. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ...and what about intergrating Paypal also?

Paypal is now giving commissions on people you refer...could make quite a bit of money from this also. (Remember my 10% please)

misohoni, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  9. messneger

messneger Active Member

Best Answers:
    At Commission Junction, you can sign up for Ebay.com, but also for Ebay.ca and probably even more regional versions of the ultimate auction site. But I don't get it, because what if a Canadian or European visitor clicks your Ebay.com affiliate link and signs up? You get nothing? That would be illogical, since many sellers ship worldwide anyway. Or am I wrong here.

messneger, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  10. csn

csn Peon

Best Answers:
    eBay's API allows only 50 queries per day. Seems really low. At least that's for the $100 "self-certifying" license, don't know if the other more expensive licenses ($100's to $1000's) allow more (probably).

csn, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  11. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow that is really low. Are you saying that eBay wants us to pay to make money with them (in terms of licenses)?

On a side note, ive been seeing more and more spyware toolbars and such that are packaging affiliate "links" in their program. For instance, everytime I visit eBay I see my browser going through some type of affiliate link. I've run Ad Aware many times but have found nothing. Maybe this is how some of the top affiliates are doing it?

younghistorians, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  12. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    I signed up for Ebay's program about 2 months ago and made $0.25 in a week, and that was with about 50 clicks. I thought it might be a good substitute for some of my lower paying pages on Adsense, but that was not the case.

According to CJ, the CPC is around $2 last I checked (some of the ad formats have CPCs as high as $5) so you'd have to send literally hundreds of thousands of clicks/month to be one those super affiliates. Plus you get extra bonuses for getting a certain number of bids/actions per month.

If you could figure out a good way to integrate EBay into your site, there is the potential to make some good money, but in any case you need a ton of traffic.

SENewbie, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  13. csn

csn Peon

Best Answers:
    More on eBay's API licenses:

Individual API License
    o For use solely by you or your Company to manage your (or your Company's) activities on www.eBay.com.
    o No Annual Membership Fee.
    o Free Sandbox (test environment) usage, limited to 5000 API calls per day.
    o Permission to Self-Certify a single application for $100 to gain authorization to use the API Production servers outside the non-public test environment ("SANDBOX")*.
    o After Self-Certification, free Production usage, limited to 50 API calls per day (AddItem and RelistItem calls excepted from the limit).

Commercial API License
    o Permits the sale and distribution of any API applications you develop.
    o Annual Membership Fee is applied per your Membership Tier (Basic - $500, Professional - $1000, Enterprise - $5000).
    o Free, unlimited Sandbox* usage.
    o Standard Certification process required before any applications can gain authorization to use the API Production servers (outside the Sandbox). Certification Fees are applied per your Membership Tier.
    o Unlimited Production usage. Usage Fees are applied per your Membership Tier (Basic gets 30,000 free API calls/month, above that, and the other plans are charged $1.25 - 2.90 per 1000 calls).

http://developer.ebay.com/DevProgram (sorry, I don't have enough posts for live links)

csn, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  14. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well it sounds like DigitalPoint isn't using the API. Too bad there is such a huge price. If it was lower I would create and open source PHP implementation of it. I did the same for Amazon.com web services. Amazon's only limitation is that you one make one call per second and it's free.

50,000 unique visitors per day is a lot!

Help Desk, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  15. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Hell, if people donate the $500 for a year's subscription, I'll write a php app myself and release openly under the GPL.

If you're crazy enough, donate here. I'll know what it's for because nobody ever donates. ;)

Help Desk, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  16. jdflemng

jdflemng Guest

Best Answers:
    I've done pretty well on eBay by serving a niche. I used the eBay API to create my site, www.powertothebuyer.com. It is a faster and easier way to search eBay, and offers search results via email. By improving on eBay's search interface and allowing users to find what they're looking for faster, I've had good success. Maybe one day I'll be in that super affiliate tier :)

jdflemng, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  17. IPM101

IPM101 Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually, i have had decent luck with the ebay program. i have made $80.40 in the past 6 days. I have a fan site for vida guerra (she's hot!) and it is generated some decent traffic. You can see how i am doing it at vidafever dotcom.

IPM101, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  18. Brad

Brad Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an ebay store and i advertise it in adwords with my affiliate link, I make a few dollars on it and get free advertising.

Brad, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No offense, but you might want to concentrate on other things, like finishing some of your other projects that do not work, that and unhacking your hacked forums :)

Not trying to be a jerk mind you, just thought you might want to know that your forum has been hacked.

Believe me, if the "ad sharing" mod you made actually worked, I'd be the first to donate.

Take care!

Mia, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  20. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, real life is keeping me from fixing anything to do with this hobby right now.

Help Desk, Mar 31, 2005 IP
    schlottke likes this.