1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Submit Website in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by umairraja52, Dec 24, 2009.

I have few websites i want to know , how to submit website in DMOZ directory.

How much time it take to publish my website in DMOZ directory.

umairraja52, Dec 24, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Read the sticky at the top of the thread. It tells you almost anything that you need to know :)

snooks, Dec 24, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If your site can be found in search engines and you have mentioned it in various forums, blogs, or other sources, then you may have no need to even bother submitting to the ODP, as many editors do not bother with the suggestion pool and find their links to add from places outside the ODP...

It can take from several minutes to several years...some NEVER make it in.

Qryztufre, Dec 25, 2009 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This from someone who took the trouble to become an editor, list their own site and a couple of others and leaves,. complains when the site is delisted when it does not return and then tells others not to bother about submitting. How valuable is advice given like that?

DMOZ editors use many sources, one of them is the suggestions pool. Sometimes the pool is so full of spam it hardly merits an editor looking into it. But mostly it cuts down the odds of a review when a site has been suggested. The pool sometimes contains hundreds of sites, the web has millions to search through!;)

Anonymously, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  5. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you're saying that if a site is suggested there's less chance of it being reviewed.

syted, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    This said by someone claiming to be an editor yet posts Anonymously.... how valuable is advice given like that?

So you're saying that if a site is suggested there's less chance of it being reviewed?

How is what you are saying there, ANY different then what I said? At least I was an editor ;) :p

It is TRULY bizarre how you come in and keep saying that everything I say is wrong based on my edit count, yet can not prove your own. It's also rather odd that you keep coming in saying that what I say is bad advice then follow it by pretty much saying exactly the same thing.

If you expect people to not believe me, then follow it by saying pretty much the same thing with different wording, are you really expecting them to believe you?

Seriously, stop trolling! You'll be banned from Digital Point again (heh, something that has never happened to me, so at least one of us can follow guidelines!)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Qryztufre, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:

Please learn to read I said that the odds were better from suggesting a post and ofcourse a site might be discovered anyway, so it has two chances.

So who just got a public infraction for calling AOL staff corrupt. You might yet here from them.

Anonymously, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  8. keithsan

keithsan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been running 5 years have ok pr. and can't get listed.

keithsan, Dec 27, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I don't know... who?

And what you said was: Sometimes the pool is so full of spam it hardly merits an editor looking into it. which most certainly implies it would be better to not even bother submitting. In fact, what you said gave NO indication that a site had ANY chance, let alone two. :rolleyes:

Qryztufre, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  10. Webzcas

Webzcas Peon

Best Answers:
    I sure hope anyone looking for advice on getting their site listed in DMOZ does not follow your advice.

The suggestion pool is one of many resources utilised when looking for sites to list in DMOZ which meet the listing guidelines.

The fact that it is one of many, does not imply it is overlooked. On the contrary, many good sites have been found and subsequently listed as a result of being suggested.

That said, you should only submit your site once and once only to the most suitable category.

Webzcas, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    that is very true... but at the same time many good sites have been skipped because they have been submitted! Editors here time & time again say exactly what they think of Webmasters, and have said time and time again that the pool is not only optional, but is an option many do not bother with.

How does one know if the category they are submitting to has a pool that is used or not? NO ONE CAN TELL BECAUSE THE ODP REFUSES TO COMMUNICATE! so, my advice can not be bad... I'm being nothing but truthful!

And if you are referring to the bolded part in your quote, please note, I did not say that, a supposed editor did!

Qryztufre, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  12. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    did anyone notice that's most probably another hundred thread similar ?

[​IMG]

just maybe a brainless thing to do it's to use search ?

trustnobodynever, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  13. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That may be what you meant to say but you said cuts down the odds which means lessen the chance. 'Odds' is positive, eg 'odds on to win'.

syted, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  14. gaven

gaven Peon

Best Answers:
    and biggest thing ....here are lots of people who feels that they are doing is not right

yet they dont listen and say "i am the almighty,and what ever i do is right".

So,rather than reasoning,they just make the things go round in circle and make the post deleted or close in this forum.
    In their own forum,they just delete the post and ban the user if you disagree with them...so simple....

Personally,i think making people guess that their site was not according to TOS is total non -sense.They should give what was violated?

If i say you have some kind of disease? not any particular name then will you start curing for all diseases with wild guess.Similar case here but they don't agree.

gaven, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  15. gaven

gaven Peon

Best Answers:
    BUT REAL THING IS DID YOU FOUND ANY REAL KIND OF CONCLUSION IN ANY OF THOSE.? lol

yes and reason for that i already said,they don't tend to realize may be something they are doing is 100% right.

May be people need better explanation.

For many reasons people are bound to try to get listed in that,but the one who matters is not serious enough to solve the problem...so this will exist.

They say ,it is not their business and time pass hobby so no answers but people are confused.
    So,question like this will keep on emerging.

gaven, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  16. megathrone

megathrone Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's very hard to get there. We have tried to submit several very quality websites - no effect.

megathrone, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  17. Marser

Marser Guest

Best Answers:
    Be patience, it takes long time to be confirmed

Marser, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well if that is true then this article is a bit of a waste of time
    http://www.articlealley.com/article_1122427_15.html
    It says
    and this one talks about cutting the odds for a white Christmas when it snowed
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-18810938.html

So increasing the chances of something happening means you cut the odds.

Would you have us tell you lies. Would you have us tell you that DMOZ is a business. BUT IT ISN'T. It IS OUR HOBBY. We do it in our spare time, we do it for no financial reward, we do it for people who want to use our work to look for sites that are categorised and by humans. We do it to give away our data for free with only one string that we get the correct attribution. We place no restrictions on who uses it. If you don't like our set up, what is that to you. You might collect stamps but I don't tell you which to collect, when you should do it, how much time you should spend on it.

But if you have a problem because lots of people want to use our data and that it is used for the Google directory, then take that up with them. Nothing to do with us, sorry, we cannot nor do we wish to influence them.

Why would that interest us? It may interest site owners, but we keep telling you that we are not a listing service, we are not there, and you should know this as an ex-editor, just to seek to list the sites that are pushed under our noses. We may we may not want to use them. We tell you how to try and get a better chance at a listing, by suggesting a site, but we have always included with that the comment that there is no guarantee that the pool will be reviewed quickly. We often say that sites which fit our criteria may also not be listed. I have quoted you the guidelinbes that say we select and that selection is down to editors. How much clearer can we be? You may not like that but it is as it is and whilst DMOZ remains a volunteer, non-profit organisation it will not change. If it becomes something different it would need a massive new influx of editors because many of the present ones will leave. If it became a business then what difference is it to BOTW, and why don't Google use BOTW instead of DMOZ? So if you want to pay to get someone to see if they want to list you and you loose all the money if they don't, then go to BOTW, don't try and change us into them.

Because we do not set out to list sites for web owners we do not set out to tell people who suggest sites if the site has been listed, we also tell people suggesting sites that it is a suggestion and we do not enter into correspondence about that suggestion, its present position or its eventual fate.

Let me summarise for clarity
    No site is guaranteed a listing
    No site once listed will always continue to be listed
    Suggesting a site is just that a suggestion for our editors to look at as and when they choose to do so.
    We do not enter into correspondence about suggested sites.
    If you have a problem that Google use the data, take it up with Google, we have no say in it.
    If you want to pay for the services you request go to BOTW that is more geared to being a listing service and we are not.

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Anonymously says...
    Let me summarise for clarity
    No site is guaranteed a listing

Accept Editor sites it seems, as example after example indicates.

No site once listed will always continue to be listed
    Accept editor sites once more. Need an example? Ask Mr. Skrenta.

Suggesting a site is just that a suggestion for our editors to look at as and when they choose to do so.
    That is misleading. Editors do not even need to look at all! Meaning that suggesting the site in some cases is a complete and total waste of time.

We do not enter into correspondence about suggested sites.
    You do not, other editors have. There is nothing in the guidelines against it...and was likely one of the reasons the contacting editors is actually an option. There was a day, just a few years ago, when editors were actually NICE.

If you have a problem that Google use the data, take it up with Google, we have no say in it.
    :confused: If you have an issue with google, of course you would take it up with good. Got a problem with the ODP, and who do you take it up with? Heh... a broken contact page, or a parent company that does not seem to have anything to do with the ODP at all.

If you want to pay for the services you request go to BOTW that is more geared to being a listing service and we are not.
    Sites like Scriptlance could also likely work, as some of the editors have yet to realize that DMOZ is not a listing service and charge for such things ;) (I know that because there are COMPLETED transactions for ODP listings with POSITIVE feedback.

Qryztufre, Dec 31, 2009 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You mean like you slipped in and got your site listed and left?

You mean like you sqealed like a pig when yours did not return and was removed for a while.

I said as and when we choose to look.

You should know that we are discouraged from enetering into conversation, but perhaps you did not stay long enough to read that. Don't tell me you think they were nice when you were there for, how long, six sites listing time and one your own. LOL.

LOL

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2009 IP