1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I Display Data That Was Scraped From Another Website?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by johnhold, Dec 23, 2009.

Can a website legally display data/content that was scraped from other sites? For example:

A website that scrapes prices for a particular product from a dozen sites and then displays all 12 prices on their site. Or:

A website that scrapes interest rates for a particular auto loan from a dozen banks and then displays those rates on their site.

Are those types of uses of other sites data considered legal, or must A webmaster first obtain permission from those sites to display their prices/rates or whatever? Or, because it's in the public domain, is it considered legal.

Thanks

johnhold, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  2. Travis

Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you obtain permission, primarily because you are not taking the information from the source (the dozen banks), rather, you are taking the information from a site whose primary purpose is to make money off that information - so you are, in effect, ripping their entire website.

However, if the information is readily available - it might be already, but I would caution auto-scraping off of their site because of they see your consistent hits, they could block your "spider" and shut you down. Why not just scrape off the authoritative site in the first place? Leaves less room to get "messed with" or have unhappy customers (should your information go out of date, or your source change their HTML and your spider no longer works).

It's never good to be held hostage by someone else :).

Travis, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree..why not be a source of information, rather than a regurgitator ? People usually will go to a source first.

hmansfield, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  4. johnhold

johnhold Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input but.....

I am taking the data directly from the sources (the banks/other sites). And with that data I plan on grouping it all together and sorting it in different fashions for data content to visitors. And yes, every time one of the sites change their website my scraper would need to be modified. If they block my access... I don't know, I guess I'd drop them. There are thousands of other sites that offer the same product prices/rates.

And I will be the source of data rather than a "regurgitator" in that visitors can find that data from multiple sites all combined at mine.

johnhold, Dec 23, 2009 IP