1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think $1 review fee to eliminate spam

Discussion in 'Directories' started by linkenginepro, Dec 21, 2009.

1. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $1 is not worth the time to go through the hassle of Paypal. And your average directory has so little seo value and life spam it is not worth $1.

Most directories are not even worth the time for me to submit sites to then to add the paypal sign in and risk putting my PP info out there in some unknown directory would make me go to the next.

averyz, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  2. dnoah

dnoah Peon

Best Answers:
    What I would prefer to see is you can pay $10 for listings. Any they will review all of the websites that I manage/operate. Which is less than 10. Heck I might even pay $20 or $30 for a high PR directory. But what I will not do, is pay $9.95 for every site. I will move on and find more cost effective ways to promote my site. And they exist.

dnoah, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  3. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried the 99 cents rate, it doesn't work. It has to be free or a 'respectable amount'.

jitendraag, Dec 22, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  4. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Experimenting with a combined free/paid model, seems to hold so far.

Ibn Juferi, Dec 22, 2009 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  5. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a security hole in all of the phpld versions which lets the spammers to submit their links easily.
    I solved that problem recently. I was receiving 100+ spam submissions daily.

makeit easy, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  6. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:

What's really nice about it is that you forget it was once a problem. ;)

CReed, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  7. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I own quite few directories - both general and niche.

On directories that I've added Adsense, I charge just little ($5 or so) so that Spammers are kept away.

But who is going to succeed in this fruitless job?:mad:

Lemme give ya some examples --

1) Directory A - PR 4 - 2 years + online - script - XYZ - Min Review Fee- $5

Get 1 or 2 SPAMs per month. AdSense - Yes

2) Directory - B - PR4 - 2 years + online - Script - ABC - Min review - $6.99, get 5-10 SPAMs per day on an average. AdSense - NO

3) Directory C (shopping niche ) - PR2 (was 4, now probably 5 because I reckon its under PR penalty as it has Good SERPs and backlink profile) - 2 years + with Google sitelinks - Script ABC - Get around 10-15 SPAMs/month

4) Directory D (health niche) - PR2 (same case like Dir C regarding PR) - 2 Years +, had sitelinks - but not now - script ABC - Fee - Min $15.99. Get around 10-5 SPAMs per day.

Check the data I've provided, ot does not matter about PR, script or anything - what it matters is the niche:)

There are some Russinas ( .ru ) - so called SEOs- who are bombarding my health directory with automated submissions on topics such as Via..a, Cia..s:mad:

The mistake - I released 2 highly popular Health related WP themes and promoted them thus getting lots of links and also directory getting popular.

There is no short-cut escape route from SPAMMERs -no matter what method you use- just promote your directory carefully/discreetly enough so that you don't get listed on SPAMMERs automated softwares.
    It also involves some bit of luck to escape their RADARs.:(

jhnrang, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  8. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @jhnrang - i had the same issue,... bombarded with automated spam, ... the only solution being get rid of the inbuilt captcha, (im asumming this is phpLd ur using! whose captcha system is obviously not working good) and get something that works,... An0n seems to have a solution that ive heard is good!! or could try recaptcha, never really used it, but seen it on sites!

M.

msolution, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  9. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    naa.. didnt work for me,.... i lost a good amount of sales when i tried that,... now im back to paid model,.... only serious customers in!!

msolution, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Fortunately good for me, as for others, well, they have the option to 'acquire it' or there is always the ladder ;)

an0n, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  11. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Spam submissions are not related to your review prices. I tried almost all rates from $0.99 to $50.
    You can not get rid of spam by playing with your regular/featured prices.
    This will only make your customers stay away from your directory because of your unstable prices.

Sending invoice also can not help you.
    Because those spammers never read your invoice emails.

You may tell your visitors that "if you don't pay us, your link will be deleted. Don't waste your time".
    But it also can't prevent spams.

Because almost 99% of those spammers use some automated programs.
    Most probably your spammers don't see your directory actually.
    You can only prevent spam by editing some hosting files of phpld.

makeit easy, Dec 23, 2009 IP
    syted likes this.
  12. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Decide your directory model and stick to it. Deal with spam in the best way you can, some good advice has already been given, I use reCAPTCHA and it works for me.

syted, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  13. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wont work unless you "install" some kinda spam control addon...They will just skip payment (if u dont have submission after payment mod installed)

alistair80, Dec 23, 2009 IP