1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What makes a site/blog valuable for direct advertisers?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by fatabbot, Dec 20, 2009.

Hi,
    I'm researching some sites selling ads directly to advertisers or via buysellads.
    The thing i'm noticing is that some sites are always able to sell out their ad space, for much higher prices than other blogs in the same niche and with the same traffic. What's even more weird is that I doubt that these sites have high clickthrough on these ads.
    Take for example sixrevisions.com - 8 x 125x125 ad blocks sold out at $680 (http://buysellads.com/buy/detail/872)

Now take photoshoproadmap.com (http://buysellads.com/buy/detail/1446) - which has 500k more impressions and price three times as low... and yet, it can't get all ads sold out.

Both sites have equal professional design imo, so design is not the issue here I guess. What I also wonder is how these advertisers can break even... clicktru must be pretty low (especially with an audience like on sixrevisions)

So what is it exactly that makes a blog attractive to advertisers?
    I thought of the following explanations, although they might be totally wrong...

1) Buzz: other advertisers are buying it, so it must be good! I better reserve a spot for many months!
    2) Alexa rank: which is rather unimportant, as all that matters is the number of pageviews and clicktru's. Tech sites always get higher alexa rank because users have the alexa toolbar installed. Still, it seems advertisers have an interest in this rank.
    3) Very high clicktroughs and product sales on particular blogs. But what makes one blog audience more likely to buy than another blogs' audience, if both have the same traffic sources (google, social media, twitter, facebook, rss,...)
    4) lots of RSS readers - which I always thought as a disadvantage from an advertisers point of view... since many people don't even visit the blog and just read the posts from their RSS reader.

Insights?
    Discuss

fatabbot, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  2. hneagle1

hneagle1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that is a combination of several different things. I don't think that one attribute of a blog necessarily means that an ad being promoted on the blog will be extremely expensive. A blog that makes a lot of advertising revenue, is a blog that offers unique and useful content for their users and also has a high page rank. However, advertisers have their own way of thinking when it comes to their marketing budget, so it is very necessary to adapt to the websites that do make a lot of advertising revenue. So in general, I think a more attractive blog does not just have one powerful attribute of a successful blog, but rather consists of several powerful attributes.

hneagle1, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  3. webdire

webdire Active Member

Best Answers:
    niche
    traffic
    no. of clicks

webdire, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  4. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    It may be the price factor if this is so.
    Perhaps when something costs more it projects a higher value to us even though the low cost item is the exact same thing. So when people see the higher cost perhaps they are believing since the cost is higher it must be better.
    The human mind can be a strange thing.

HomeComputerGames, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  5. dave08

dave08 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does Google mind if sites use buysellads.com to get revenue?

dave08, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  6. boogiesbc

boogiesbc Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Google doesn't mind.

boogiesbc, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  7. plusplustutoring

plusplustutoring Active Member

Best Answers:
    1) Number of unique visitors a day.
    2) Types of visitors.
    3) Content of site or blog.

plusplustutoring, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  8. dave08

dave08 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good to know, thanks :)

dave08, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  9. fatabbot

fatabbot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you even read my post or are you just posting crap to get your post count up? I gave a specific situation where it's exactly not like the 3 points you're giving.

fatabbot, Dec 21, 2009 IP