1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have my source code through FTP how do I edit ?

Discussion in 'C#' started by coopersPick, Dec 18, 2009.

So I got my source code and FTP access to my site that is hosted through 1and1 and wanted to know how I may be able to edit miscelleanous errors throughout my site?

coopersPick, Dec 18, 2009 IP
  2. SIPHILP

SIPHILP Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this asp.net?

Problem being that most of the time the code is compiled into a DDL that's stored in the bin directory. Changing the code will need a complete rebuild.

However if it's inline code then you should be able to make any changes with any IDE :)

SIPHILP, Dec 19, 2009 IP
  3. urstop

urstop Peon

Best Answers:
    Some webhosts provide editing the files directly thru their file explorer, else you will have to download the files on to your machine, edit them and upload them back. And as Siphilp has mentioned, look if you have the actual source files or just the Dlls.

urstop, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  4. camjohnson95

camjohnson95 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can edit them locally and then upload the new file, or if your host provides an online control panel you can normally edit them from there. If you use a later version of .NET (2.0 or 3.5) there is no need to compile to a DLL.

camjohnson95, Dec 20, 2009 IP
    SIPHILP likes this.
  5. SIPHILP

SIPHILP Peon

Best Answers:
    Eh what are you talking about? If the pages have been compiled to a dll then how can you edit them with out recompiling?

SIPHILP, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  6. camjohnson95

Best Answers:
    When using asp.net 2.0-3.5, you can create your web site as a 'Web Site', rather than a 'Web Application' (in visual studio).. meaning that their is no 'bin' directory or DLL (or DDL for that matter). Therefore you can edit the pages (including code-behind) directly and they are compiled as they are requested from the server..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  7. SIPHILP

SIPHILP Peon

Best Answers:
    two different angles our posts have taken i think. Your wording on your previous post is confusing.

@coopersPick

When you say source, do you have lots of *.vb or *.cs files or do you have just a lot of *.aspx files with a bin and dll's ?

SIPHILP, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  8. camjohnson95

Best Answers:
    Yeh, the two sentences should have probably been the other way around.

9. coopersPick

coopersPick Active Member

Best Answers:
    everything is .asp so I really do not know, as I am not too programmer savvy but there are some minor text changes that i want to do to the site and have been told that I need dreamweaver or similar program from the hosting company.

coopersPick, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  10. camjohnson95

Best Answers:
    You can edit .asp with notepad.... Download the source (using FTP not your web browser).. Modify it using any text-editor or IDE (notepad will do), then upload the modified code.

camjohnson95, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  11. cyberpope

cyberpope Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I woudl try Microsoft free(express) version of their IDE. It will give you allot more help than notepad. It can handle ftp or front page. It will let you run it locally. here is a link to download for free. I would suggest getting a book on it.

Notepad if you make a mistake it may be hard for someone new to resolve the issue. With this tool the ide will change the color text and give you errors when you make a mistake. There are numerous free videos showing you how too.

Scope out thsi site it is a blog dedicated for coding for fun. It is easier to learn if you take the time. View a couple of videos and in about 2 hours you will be rockin and be able to make text changes and simple code changes
    sorry I could not post the third link :-(
    I had to remove all the links, send me an email askign me for the visual studio links and I will send them, or you can google.

cyberpope, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  12. hireaspnetdeveloper

hireaspnetdeveloper Guest

Best Answers:
    Download the problem page on your machine and make necessary changes then again upload that edited file...
    this is something you wanna know I guess..

hireaspnetdeveloper, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  13. chengary

chengary Banned

Best Answers:
    Your wording on your previous post is confusing.

chengary, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  14. robertokuykendall

robertokuykendall Guest

Best Answers:
    for editing aspx page is no need to IDE just open it in notepad do changes and upload it.

robertokuykendall, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  15. cyberpope

cyberpope Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You do nto need an IDE, but if you make a mistake then you are going to spend allot time figuring out what went wrong. In the IDE it will all change color. I am also assuming the person may not be uber experienced with coding, so the IDE will have code complete functions. Notepad dosn't LOL

cyberpope, Feb 21, 2010 IP