1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many content pages do your sites average?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by LongHaul, Aug 24, 2006.

?

How many content pages do your sites each have?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2-10

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 11-30

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. 31-100

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. 101-300

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. 301-600

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. 601-1000

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  8. 1000+

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    (Orig. posted in HTML and Web Design but largely went unnoticed.)

Most tips tutorials say you should have 100-300 content pages on your site, or at least be building to that. Seems like good advice to me, but it seems that many? most? fall far short of that.

So please vote with your site's number of pages (or average of your siteS). I'd also like to hear how you get new content: freelance articles, free articles, stealing from Wikipedia (a pox on you!), writing yourself, etc.

For those who write their own content: how long does an average page take, start to finish?

I'm building my first site now, it isn't published yet, but it seems to take me about 1.5-2 hours average to make a new page, start to finish. But that's concentrated, focused work so it actually averages out to slower than that, as I like to relax and eat dinner occasionally. :p

LongHaul, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  2. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    See site in sig

I have about 347 pages of content. Its a quote site, with proverbs, jokes, and some religious stuff. So I get my material from various books, tv shows, movies, websites, all kinds of places.

billabong7329, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  3. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can put up one solid piece of content on your main site daily, you'll do fine. Depending on your skills, that could take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to hours.

marketjunction, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  4. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, as many or as few it takes to cover a niche as comprehensively as you can.

qwestcommunications, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  5. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends, i am currently writing about management. Hitting 2 birds with 1 stone because i am also studying it.

So basically reading a couple of books and writing down the important points. Notes as most people usually do when studying.

infonote, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  6. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea. I do that myself.

Generating a solid income is not about working harder, it's about working smarter.

marketjunction, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  7. cellularnews

cellularnews Peon

Best Answers:
    As a long term news publication, we are coming close to 20,000 news articles + tons more content in other areas.

The archive drives a huge amount of regular traffic to the site from search engines.

cellularnews, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  8. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, with 11 votes so far, 1000+ is winning! I guess there is going to be a large gap between those who metuculously write their own specialized content vs. those who buy it or generate it easily through news, etc. I bet the niches/site concepts don't have a lot of overlap either...

LongHaul, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  9. windy

windy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I begin with about 100 pages.
    and now I have more than 300 pages of content.

windy, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  10. Dragonkiller

Dragonkiller Active Member

Best Answers:
    Around 200

Dragonkiller, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  11. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    well that is one way. If one is passionate about something the more sustainable way is to write a page a day every day.

After a while one will notice that written content of two or more pages actually would make a page on its own....

Suddenly 200 pages can become 1000 pages without being just clobberd together or being incoherent a bit of "glue" go a long way and a twist on how to look at something or present it prevents it from being just a duplicate it becomes unique in its own way.

God tagging and maybe a database with exerpts help as well.

Expat

expat, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  12. Alsuran

Alsuran Peon

Best Answers:
    My only real website has around 80 pages so far.

Alsuran, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  13. Trisha

Trisha Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the content is too interesting then people aren't clicking on the ads. In a recent email sent to me someone said "I spent the whole evening on your site." This is the kind of site I like to visit myself so it's a dilemma really. Do you make a site so interesting that no-one looks at the ads or do you make it so boring that they'll click anything to get away?
    I'd hate to live in a world where every site was boring because people want to make money from the ads but then again I'd like to earn the money.

Trisha, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  14. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    True. But I think different subject lend themselves to ads better. For example, a joke site might contain a lot of jokes, which is probably what people would be looking for, so why click an ad?

But if your site is music or book reviews, well, people want to read or listen for themselves so it's a little more natural to click an ad to buy it.

I guess one tactic might be to think of something your typical visitor might be interested in commercially. For the joke site example, maybe they like comedy and would want standup on DVD. So you could have a review section for DVD's or comedy albums.

I'm a newbie and hence talking out of my ass, but I have read this concept on DP and it makes sense to me. :D

LongHaul, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  15. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    im at about 50 pages, contstantly trying to think of new topics I could add to my niche site

kevinn, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  16. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm working on my bigest site hopfully in a few months will be launched an estimate 2000 pages .

w3bmaster, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  17. Submerged

Submerged Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site that I'm working on will have about 500-1000 pages of hand written content by me, and after launch will hopefully generate hundreds or thousands of user submitted articles as well. Plus a forum, product reviews, etc. It's gonna be a beast :)

Submerged, Aug 25, 2006 IP