1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory owners, you might forget the purpose of directory website

Discussion in 'Directories' started by linkenginepro, Dec 10, 2009.

My first interest with directory is about 12 years ago, when I visit a website called anipike.com. It has a collection of good websites of anime. Then I start make similar one with Perl script GT-Links 2.0.

Why people like directory? Because it offer a collection of good websites that they like. But what I see now is so different.

Many directory owners want to make money fast, forget that WHAT the visitor demand. Stop thinking of selling links. But think what you will OFFER to the visitor.

You will end up rejecting so many websites. If you go niche reviewing them is not so hard and relative fast. First see the title, then check the website whenever they have a relevant content.

If you always think how to make money with your directory by selling links, you will earn a lof of stress. Go niche, and get a good collection of websites, you will be happy with the result.

linkenginepro, Dec 10, 2009 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that focusing on money first is a common mistake, not just in directories, nothing wrong with the expectation and aim of money from it, but yeah the focus needs to be on how it can be useful, attract users etc, not easy to do but should definately be part of the plan.

My biggest mistake was copying what people did and said at first, was like being in a herd of sheep and installing mods for the sake of it because another new one had been released.

pipes, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  3. erwindegrave

erwindegrave Active Member

Best Answers:
    :) true.. directory sites is intended for listing valuable links not spam websites.. Directory web owners need to train themselve that it's not about making a business, but providing people with useful links and profits will follow next, automatically!

erwindegrave, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  4. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With as fast as the herd was moving, it was hard not to get caught up in the ensuing frenzy.

It'a nice to see that some have separated from the herd and are migrating in a different direction.

CReed, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the problem is most of the directory visitors are website owners now not actual visitors trying to find websites. They can do that fairly easily using search engines nowadays.

That said, I do agree that many directory owners are just out there for a quick buck

Nima, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  6. linkenginepro

linkenginepro Peon

Best Answers:
    In addition, directory website is like other usual websites. It should grow, don't stop with only web listing. Add some good articles. Grow the community with forum. In my view, you can see info vilesilencer, it is a very good example of directory.

Haha.. good point. Thats why I stop with only having one general directory. Go niche is better. Easier to maintain and also easier to get real visitor.

linkenginepro, Dec 18, 2009 IP
    Nima likes this.