1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How google local business destroyed jobs

Discussion in 'Google' started by patrox, Dec 17, 2009.

Many people thought that google local business was a good idea ( I did too in the first place ), today i have met with 2 companies that just laid off 50% of their work force just because customers were contacting the businesses they needed directly instead of using a 3rd party portal.
    Google local business made it so easy to find a an hotel for example that people didn't need to book through an expedia kind of site anymore. This is also true for other sectors.
    The sad part in this story is that there is no real winner in that situation, the customer pays the same price for his service in the end, and the intermediate people lost their jobs.
    Anyone of you experienced a loss of customers because of google local business ?

P.

patrox, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  2. JashLee

JashLee Peon

Best Answers:
    :)In my opinion my friend you are right but some poor people have no money that's is the best choice for start new business without money.:)

JashLee, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  3. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    so people need to come in top in google local map, local search also

newlogo, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  4. ClarkeMarketing

ClarkeMarketing Member

Best Answers:
    This just shows how important local seo is

ClarkeMarketing, Dec 17, 2009 IP
  5. S_A_W

S_A_W Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess the searcher is the one that benefits....they find their results faster and that is what Google is all about. I do agree it sucks for the business that will suffer but you can't blame Google for doing this part of their job too good.

I read an article about that over here too and it was pretty good, http://www.torontoseofirm.com/does-google-want-to-put-your-website-out-of-business/

S_A_W, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  6. Tj John

Tj John Peon

Best Answers:
    My business is not affected by any of this factors

Tj John, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  7. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well, i think businesses that are listed under google local are the real winners. world is changing and so is the way of browsing the net. if a business can take adventage of the innovation and get their site listed/found on google local, they can sky rocket their revenue.

sultanofseo, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  8. watson.yann

watson.yann Peon

Best Answers:
    Google also can not search something.In my opinoin it can't take the place of intermediary agents

watson.yann, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  9. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    middleman sites get good deal with the prices, so in most cases they can offer cheap deals. most consumers know that. I dont think local would destroy the middleman business. there could be some exceptions though.

webcosmo, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  10. ItzPaul

ItzPaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Learn how to rank on google local business. Crazy how google is taking away from other businesses. lol.

ItzPaul, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  11. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to understand that local businesses are saving commissions charged by middlemen every time someone comes to them direct. As they make more money, they will employ more people, and their businesses will grow.

For every job lost, there are others being created somewhere.

Rod, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  12. leandar

leandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google will pay for this local business listing asap, ok now its free, biding will come there like adwords, webmasters can do nothing, all web pages are going to destroy by this type RDF technology. look http://wolframalpha.com there is no web pages but you will get answer.

you can play youtube video from bing search result page so whats benefit for youtube? think fastly and start some farm to just eat something, all business is going to work out automatically .... we can sleep now.

leandar, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  13. pooja chawla

pooja chawla Peon

Best Answers:
    u r right but google serves easy ,quick and direct to the poor peple and rich both.everybody can use the goole facilities directly

pooja chawla, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  14. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very backwards thinking by thread starter. Google local business did a great thing, for everyone. It's easier than ever to find local businesses now. People like you would argue that if I threw a rock at a store's window, I would actually be helping society because now someone can be hired to clean up the mess, someone can be hired to make a new window and another person can be hired to install that window. In reality the store owner loses money that could have been spent somewhere else.

Anyway, no point in trying to teach basic capitalism here on DP. =p

Remotay, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  15. smartfinds

smartfinds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Local Listings is the wave of the future. It is not only about web searches, but also a convergence of local listings data with mobile devices. Mobile marketing is going to get a big boost from this process. When people are out and about and need to find "anything" they will be able to find it based on their current geography.

Coupons, Offers and Discounts will all be available through mobile devices and mobile applications based on local listing data.

This process will not stop here though. Consumers will be able to post their reviews from Twitter or directly onto a local listing review as they leave a local store or business. Now the local business will have be sure to monitor these local listings.

Yes, I did say "listings" plural. While Google is the 800lb gorilla "on" the web, in the mobile space will not only be Google. Mobile application developers will be the ones to decide which local listing data they will use. For this reason, local business will need to consider having their listings up to date on more than just Google...Yahoo, Bing, Ask, Local.com, Yelp and many more....oh yeah, and monitor their reviews at all these locations too.

Something we recently read at KillerStartUps are companies that are offering a low cost service to update then manage these listings for companies. You can read about this at KillerStartUps here:

http://www.killerstartups.com/Search/smartfindslocallisting-com-be-found-online

It is a changing world and the local business will benefit. There will be some adjustments required by everyone.

smartfinds, Dec 24, 2009 IP