1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need some annoying advertising tactics

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by BannanoPeel, Dec 14, 2009.

So at my site I have a weekly contest, the contest is open to both members and guests. I have a different page for guest entry's and members entry. Since I'm assuming people who go through the guest entry won't make much of a contribution to my site, I am trying to make their page have the most annoying advertisements possible. I'm thinking pop-ups, flashing ad's etc. So if anyone has any ideas please tell me.

BannanoPeel, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  2. Jay Is Only Human

Jay Is Only Human Peon

Best Answers:
    Feel free to do this if you plan on losing quite a bit of dedicated traffic from your current populace. But if you want some annoying ideas, try shoving those peel-back ads right where the button to submit is. That way, anyone with a shaky hand will peel it back to reveal, and wait a few seconds (and maybe read) for it to go away.

Pop-up's always work, but most people have it set so that these are either blocked or open behind the original browser window, making it almost pointless. Another good suggestion is to try the "are you sure you want to leave this page" message that pops up when someone tries to exit the page.

The possibilities are endless. Check out Hurr Durr (hxxp://www.hurr-durr.com) for an example of the pop-up message annoyance at work. You have been warned.

-Jay

Jay Is Only Human, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  3. SocialMancer

SocialMancer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Jay's advice is perfect. However, what goals are you wanting to get through annoyance of ads? It would be interesting to see some outcomes -- that is if you wouldn't mind sharing with us this little experiment :D

SocialMancer, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  4. MoneyHungry1

MoneyHungry1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm quite interested in how that's gonna work for you. You might make more money doing that with adsense. That's just my thought. I'd load there page up with adsense and make it so they can find what they want but you can make money off it too.

That's only if you're positive they aren't going to make a contribution to your site. If you're trying to get targeted traffic to your site, there's no reason they wouldn't.

It's up to you but if you hit them with annoying pop-ups I'd like to know what happens lol.

MoneyHungry1, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  5. BannanoPeel

BannanoPeel Member

Best Answers:
    Basically the what I have right now is a "Contests" page, I have it made so that anybody signed in will be able to simply scroll down and enter the contest. If they aren't logged in/guests I have it so they have to scroll down, seeing all the reasons they should join and then I have a "Notice" box that takes them to my "Guest Entry Page". Right now I have a horizontal and verticle advertisments right at the top, so that they are pretty much impossible to miss then I have another box telling them more reasons why they should become members and then I have the guest entry form.

BannanoPeel, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  6. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! What a strategy... annoy people into pulling out the wallet. I'm thinking.... well I'm

Anyways. Good luck with that.

internetmarketingiq, Dec 15, 2009 IP