1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Why has this scammer not been banned yet

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Peter76, Dec 14, 2009.

Why hasn't this individual been banned? He took me for 70 dollars the other day and has been reported by myself and another for attempting to sell websites that are not his? I can't understand how the moderators wont take action on him. He is still allowed on here to scam people.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/member.php?u=351492

Peter76, Dec 14, 2009 IP
    arpitagarwal82 likes this.
  2. ChopSuey

ChopSuey Peon

Best Answers:
    Moderators dont take fast action, you realize how big this forum is?

ChopSuey, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  3. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    They don't ban users for scams. Best bet would be to leave a single negative iTrader as well as a clear and concise post explaining what occurred in the original thread.

theapparatus, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    We don't get involved in private business disputes (I was scammed once here too and didn't get to go off and ban the guy for it, so it's not just you). You need to take it up with the payment processor or through legal action with the member if you choose to. You can leave negative feedback in the deal thread and can leave a negative iTrader. If someone is selling something they don't have rights you report the thread. We do have infractions for copyright infringement (2 points each for 6 months, so if they've done it repeatedly they might end up banned soon enough). Also include any proof that they can't have rights to sell the product in your report so we can determine whether or not to close the threads in question.

jhmattern, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  5. Peter76

Peter76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Understood and Im not asking for nothing from DP except that they take care of this scammer. If you know for sure that this individual is a scammer which he is then I can't see why he is not banned or maybe have him put in a specific usergroup where he can't sell anything. I think since Digital Point is seen as a proffesional webmaster forum they should atleast protect their users from known scammers. Maybe Im wrong for thinking like this but its just my 2 sense. I have all the proof needed for this thief and Im awaiting for paypal to take action.

Thanks for your response.

Peter76, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  6. amarventris

amarventris Peon

Best Answers:
    isn't it better to not let the member keep scamming people?

I was going to blog for one man and then Googled his email,

and a facebook detailing his content theft and archiving posts to hide from having to pay for them was right here.
    http://ja-jp.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=161774066367

His ad to blog on that site may be on this website now.

amarventris, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The rules are the rules. There are certain things we don't get involved with. In cases where there are obvious scams, I agree - it sucks. In fact, I was bitching quite loudly about it on the mod forum today with things like template thieves running rampant. I don't personally thing a 2pt infraction is even close to enough for those kinds of scammers -- the ones blatantly breaking the law with plenty of proof available (nothing we can do to get in the middle of he said / she said private disputes). But we can only work with the tools we have.

arpitagarwal82 likes this.
  8. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    So strictly from a legal standpoint, it sounds like what you are stating is that the forum is knowingly facilitating these scams. If you are made aware that something is being sold here illegally and choose to do nothing. I guess in these instances it's best to contact the copyrighted owner so they can go after these individual and forum. I am sure that a DCMA request will go a long way.

Sorry if this comes off a little strong worded, but I have to agree with you a 2point infraction is laughable. As is the fact that you would allow the thread to remain open, and continue to allow someone who is selling stolen products to continue to do so. Not only does it diminish the BST section, it opens your users up to the potential to be defrauded.

Imbo, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    That's not at all what I said. If someone reports that a stolen item is being sold, and they offer adequate proof, we remove the sales threads and issue infractions / warnings. So we do not "do nothing." The owners are certainly welcome to send Shawn a dmca notice. In practice though to have it removed it would be far easier for them to simply send us proof. Personally I usually make the owner send me a copy of the terms / license and I make them email me from the domain where the product is originally being sold to show they're indeed connected to it / own the site and so we can be certain there's no way the user has resale rights or anything similar. We do have to see something more than "I think so-and-so is selling this illegally" though. Otherwise we'd have people reporting each other just because they're competitors or some other nonsense. But don't mistake "no ban" as "no action" because that isn't true.

10. amarventris

amarventris Peon

Best Answers:
    What about content hiring members who don't pay? They skate?

amarventris, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  11. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you/we need to be careful and do some research with those members before going to complete work. so its best to look those mebers previous threads/posts/itraders and proceed.

chandan123, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  12. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If they are not a reputable member ask for the payment upfront.

dcristo, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  13. Peter76

Best Answers:
    Where do we show the proof? I took image shots of my private messages with this scammer and can take an image shot of my claim against him from paypal. Is that adequate enough?

Peter76, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  14. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think you are reading what you are being told by jhmattern.

Agent000, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  15. ChopSuey

ChopSuey Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the point here is DP cannot do anything about the scammers, correct?

ChopSuey, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    No. Private messages and Paypal disputes are just evidence of a private business dispute between you and another member. We don't get involved in those kinds of disputes. Proof would be a link to the license showing no resale is allowed for example. Sometimes it's obvious from the post that they're not the original owner (they'll admit it saying they got it from somewhere and are reselling it b/c they don't need it anymore for example w/o realizing they're not allowed). If we can't be sure, we'd have to hear from the owner of the content directly to verify information. Usually things are stolen from big enough sites that we don't have to dig all that deeply.

Depends on the kind of scammer. If someone simply didn't pay you for something, no. We can't get generally get involved (although Shawn will apparently try to help mediate if both people are premium members). That's a private member dispute and should be taken up with the member personally and with the payment processor used. If someone's selling warez, stolen templates, etc. we need to see proof and then we can remove the threads.

jhmattern, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  17. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jennifer, the person in question has opened more than 4 threads selling sites which are not his. This should have been more than enough points accumulated? At his thread even an one of the actual owner verified that the seller was selling his site.

wptheme, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Use the report post button on any of them that are still open and they'll go into our queue to be reviewed by the first mod that gets to it in the list. We can get hundreds of reports a day and all mods aren't active in reviewing reports every day (we aren't necessarily here very long each day and have our own businesses to run elsewhere), so sometimes it takes time to get through them all. Include proof -- a post from someone claiming to be the owner isn't necessarily enough. Make sure you link us to public terms / license for the original, or have the owner get in contact with us directly.

jhmattern, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  19. newbie191

newbie191 Notable Member

Best Answers:

Its all your fault.
    The guy has only 37 posts and zero itraders most of all he is just 16 years old.
    And you paid him 70 $ before any transfer was made.
    It is internet my friend any normal guy like you and me would be tempted to scam if you keep paying like this.
    Once again its all your fault so better stop wining.;)

newbie191, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  20. Peter76

Best Answers:
    All I asked is that they ban a known scammer. That is whining? Im not whining but Im just warning people to watch him since he is still an active member on here and allowed to sell websites that are not his. I know I got scammed and your right its my fault but Im not crying about it. Like I stated Im just trying to prevent others from getting scammed until DP does something about him. Now if that is whining then be it, but I don't think it is wiseass.;)

BTW Im not like you, I was raised with morals not to scam people and to be honest.

Peter76, Dec 15, 2009 IP