1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Video sitemaps

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by snewtonge, Dec 8, 2009.

Has anyone had any luck getting videos indexed by Google? If so, how long did it take for your videos to appear in search results?

I've submitted video sitemaps and Google shows they are indexed, but none show in search results and it has been more than a week.

snewtonge, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  2. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    I've created video sitemap generators for dozens of websites, usually Google accepted it within few hours and first search results appeared in few hours in Google video.

However this changed some time ago.
    Now even if Google accept your video sitemap as valid one, your videos may not be indexed ever.
    Hard to say why they do that. Many webmasters already posted this issue on Google groups. Never replied by Google.
    Personally I tried with many different sitemap settings. No effects. Still sitemap shows as correct one in webmaster tools- videos not indexed.

dargre, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  3. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
    Typical for Google not to respond to questions why they do or not do something. :rolleyes:

It would be nice as a webmaster just to know if what you submitted was correct or not. It kind of reminds me of the way DMOZ is. You submit and never know if it was correct until you actually get listed.

Why do some companies do this crap?

snewtonge, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  4. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    But when you submit video sitemap - webmaster tools shows you if video sitemap is correct and accepted, so I don't understand you say you cannot know it.
    Most funny is that Webmaster Tools even shows you number of indexed videos in video search, but in fact you won't find any in real Video Search Engine.
    That's what I could notice with dozens of correct sitemaps for various video sites. And many of those sites are really unique, very well codedvery custom, with many different embeded flash players.

dargre, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  5. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what I am talking about. In Webmasters Tools it shows the sitemap as good and shows the amount of videos indexed, yet if you go to video.google.com and search site:yoursite.com no results are found.

Google should have something to tell you why your videos are not in the search results. Or at least have some type of explaination of the overall process so you have an idea of the status of your submission.

How can you fix something if you don't even know there is a problem?

6. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, now we come to same observation.
    That's exactly what I meant.

I also sent multiple posts on google groups. No reply.
    Sent request from webmaster tools. Have automated, not related reply.
    Anything you do in this subject is useless.

I know how it was some time ago. Videos were well indexed before.
    Traffic from video search engine was really nice, something like 30% of total traffic, even better than from standard Google.
    Now it's all gone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    dargre, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  7. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess all I can do is sit back and relax and hope that at some point my sites videos will get listed sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later.

8. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
    That was the case with one of my sites and Google images. I used to receive massive traffic from Google images and then several months ago it was like water turning off. The traffic slowed really fast until it was gone. Now I get maybe 1 or 2 hits a day from Google images. :(

9. Vladimir3

Vladimir3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have very slow connect to you website http://www.oddvid.com/ (right?), maybe problem on this? Also go to google webmaster tools, and see whether there are any problems with yours video sitemap. A had submited my site video sitemap 3 days ago, and it was indexed few pages in a half a day.

Vladimir3, Dec 11, 2009 IP
  10. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
    The site isn't slow for me ??? In Webmasters Tools, it shows no problems and plenty of videos indexed.

snewtonge, Dec 11, 2009 IP
  11. Vladimir3

Vladimir3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the videos are indexed like text but not like video http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=site%3Awww.oddvid.com&emb=0&aq=f . Can you show link to your video sitemap.xml file?

12. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
  13. Vladimir3

Vladimir3 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's good. Very strange. Try to add in robots.txt this one:

Sitemap: http://www.oddvid.com/rssmotion.php?type=videositemap

Code (markup):

14. snewtonge

snewtonge Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I gave that a try. Hopefully it will help. Thanks for the info.