1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do newest CB cookies trump older cookies?

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by Smitten, Dec 8, 2009.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? That would make a lot more sense to me.

I think newer cookies should just get queued rather than over-riding older cookies; sales should get credited to the oldest referrer, not the newest. Each affiliate ID could remain in the top slot for 60 days before expiring (to keep things balanced), and when a sale happened, the affiliate in the top slot should get credited for the sale.

Is that such an extravagant reasoning, from a technical standpoint?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Smitten, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  2. terryd

terryd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Already posted this reply to you in another thread but here goes:

Because it would simply be a free for all with people spamming the ass out of everybody trying to get their cookie on to anybodies computer before someone else does in order to get the commission, that would be plain stupid. PPC prices would skyrocket with everybody bidding for the top spot in order to get their cookie on the surfers PC first.......can you say KAOS......

The way they have it now is the best way to do it.

terryd, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  3. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand. People are already doing those things, and even stuffing cookies and who knows what else... because the newest cookies simply erase the oldest cookies. As far as I can see, that's an invitation towards non-legitimate affiliate scheming.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly in the first round, so I'll go for an example. Let's imagine a customer who happens to be courting product X (not confuse with planet X :p) for over two months. While doing so, he happens to visit two landing pages leading to product X: The first landing page on day 1, and the second on day 15.

Time goes by, and in day 40 a smart-ass hacker happens to inject his own cookie in the customer's computer. Eventually on day 51, the customer does indeed decide to whip out his credit card and purchase Product X. Ok? Now, what happens in this scenario?

The way things are, the naughty cookie stuffer will get credited for the sale. If cookies were queued and remained valid for 60 days, the author of the first landing page would get credited for the sale - which would be fair, since he introduced the product to the customer!

If the customer only purchased in (let's say) day 70, the author of the second landing page would get credited.

If the customer was really nit-picky and only purchased on day 78, only then the cookie-stuffer eat his portion. How's that for equity?

Smitten, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  4. Fredby

Fredby Peon

Best Answers:
    Consider this:

The buyer, looking to purchase a product, happens upon an affiliate site.

The affiliate mentions a product, but doesn't do much of a pre-sell... ala "This is good, here's my link". The buyer clicks through but decides not to buy.

The buyer goes back to Google and starts searching for more information. He gets to another affiliate site that does a great pre-sell of the same product... the affiliate talks about the product's strengths and weaknesses, etc.

The buyer decides it is just what he needs and clicks through to the product again and purchases.

Should affiliate 1 really get the commission?

Fredby, Dec 8, 2009 IP
    vitalous and Smitten like this.
  5. terryd

terryd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What if I were a big time affiliate with loads of $$ then I could potentially buy every top spot on Adwords for just about every product.

Seeing as I was the first to get my cookie on the PC I would therefore get the commission no matter what great offers may come promoting that product.

Even with straight SEO the #1 spot would become the ONLY spot to go for because it wouldn't matter if there were even better offers on the first page of Google because generally the number 1 site gets the majority as well as the first clicks.

All that would happen in my opinion is that a few people would make massive amounts of money while your average affiliate wouldn't have a hope in hell............you would prefer this over the current system??

terryd, Dec 8, 2009 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  6. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I understand... no system is perfect, and we'd better learn to play with the cards one the table.
    But still, sometimes a guy cannot help but wonder why things are set the way they do, right?

Thanks for the feedback Terryd and and Fredby, you have both made good points!
    I hadn't thought of the issue from that perspective and it does make sense.

Smitten, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  7. Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to type a reply but fredby said exactly what I was going to say!!

Chimpanzee, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  8. vitalous

vitalous Guest

Best Answers:
    There are ways of linking directly to the CB shopping cart with the affiliate
    pre-loaded, which in theory should bypass any cookie.
    I don't think CB or the vendor like it much, but it is reported to still work.
    This would be great ammunition for affiliates trying to deal with 'competitive' vendors.

vitalous, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  9. NCMedia

NCMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This trumps all. First cookie served would be a nightmare, and you'd see a lot more malicious shit happening by unscrupulous adware/malware/sneaky affs/cookie stuffs/forum stuffs/email stuffs... Yes you see it all now, however reversing the effects to constantly chase PC's to be the first cookie there for 60 days or for life would be mega worse.

Last cookie served, last pixel fired, still makes the most sense imo as well. *Nobody would know who was already cookied, so you could spend good money sending traffic/campaigns/bum marketing to a page that is already spoken for, for 60 days. That aff could have a 60 day autoresponder or hire a programmer to build a sneaky malware to re-stuff the customer when it expires, or restuff it weekly to be sure. As a vendor I would need to duplicate my offer a bunch of times to enable more than one person to promote it... I have 30+ offers...

Companies like z4nga would monopolize our marketplace in a heart beat. Shit, I could cause some serious damage myself if things were 'first cookie served', as I'm sure many here probably could with the right outreach/team... even thinking about the daily new feed + picking up hoplinks + immediate/first distribution to all outreach, and I'm a small fry compared to the z4nga's of the world..

So going back to KAOS due to fighting for that first spot among the white hat + black hat pro's would be a full on blindsided sweep and there would be no tiered earners, only those making tons, and those trying/dying. At least now it's more of an even playing field where anyone can compete with the same resources available to them.

Also, the network behind the 'first cookie served' system could very easily circumvent their own system and bank large (i.e. like some CPA's do/try to do now, but adding a whole new variable, with variable change at that..).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    NCMedia, Dec 9, 2009 IP