1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HTML site to replace a blog

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sameer_reddy, Dec 7, 2009.

Hello,

I am planning to create a site which I need to be an HTML site. I will be having a lot of contents to post a week. Sometime 10 a week and sometimes 1 a week or none at all. So I definitely DO NOT want to go the blogging route. I have some questions if I choose an HTML site

1. How do I organize the articles?
    2. How can I provide easy navigation for my readers?
    3. Is breadcrumbs type navigation possible in an HTML site?
    4. Is it possible to publish RSS feed for my HTML site?

I don't ever plan to add a blog to my site because I really don't like the idea of blogging (I have been doing it for a couple of years and every time I cannot post for a few weeks the blog is dead.) so please cut teh suggestion of blogging.

sameer_reddy, Dec 7, 2009 IP
    rukn2002 likes this.
  2. rukn2002

rukn2002 Peon

Best Answers:
    Using only HTML it will not work. If you use CMS like wordpress, joomla you can do it easily. all the features and functions you can get there for managing articles. I have a blog you can check the site. www.dailyglobal.com

rukn2002, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  3. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen HTML sites like that. How can you say they cant be done? Maybe I need to have CSS alongside with it, but I am sure these are possible. Not sure about the RSS part though.

sameer_reddy, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  4. FreeWebsiteHostingReviews

FreeWebsiteHostingReviews Peon

Best Answers:
    Some ideas might be to use server side includes (PHP for example) for your site navigation and if you're not too technical to add RSS feeds through the use of Javascript snippets from the RSS source and btw CSS is used to style your web pages and nothing else.

Also, can you tell me what you mean by breadcrumbs type navigation?

Hope this helps

5. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    I found out a java script that allows breadcrumb navigation to be installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadcrumb_(navigation)

I remember seeing somewhere a script that allows rss feed to be created from HTML pages. Not sure though. Does feedburner support that?

sameer_reddy, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  6. crazeann

crazeann Peon

Best Answers:
    agree with rukn2002, the feature you want is provided by CMS like wordpress, Drupal, joomla and so on.
    i hardly see all the feature you want with only HTML.

Maybe you could try a backup plan to the database if you fear of losing your content after the site is down.

just my $.02

:shakehand:

crazeann, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  7. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    I might as well try and include a blog just in case!!! Didnt want to do that, but still.... I guess no other option... Is any javascript available?

8. Typo Tat

Typo Tat Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do everything without any CMS at all. It's tedious, unrewarding and you need a good grasp of HTML, but it can be done. Basically, you just do the whole thing manually, page by page, inserting content into a template and formatting it by yourself. Hey, it's the way most people build websites back in 1995.

What you really need to understand is that blogging is just a concept. Your site is a blog because you say so and design it accordingly. You can easily make a non-blog website using blogging software like Wordpress or Blogger, just by modifying the design. You can also use specifically non-blog CMS like Joomla or Drupal.

Typo Tat, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  9. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have asked my coder to design a wordpress site and a matching HTML page to go with it.

It takes a lot of trouble away from me

10. xenobiologist

xenobiologist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Couldn't you use a database to store all the content and then just have it called into your html page using PHP? Of course you would need an understanding of PHP and mySQL to incorporate this into your page. Another route would be to use a CMS (Content Management System) to organize all your content.

xenobiologist, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  11. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    This would be the smart thing to do, and Joomla!/Drupal would be good scripts to look into for this (free, too).

Ascendancy, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  12. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have decided to go with wordpress....

sameer_reddy, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  13. xenobiologist

xenobiologist Active Member

Best Answers:
    I only offered that suggestion as an alternative to your blog that you didn't want to design. But you can use Wordpress as a CMS too. Glad to see you found your way.

xenobiologist, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  14. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the WordPress route is the best way to go. Back in 2002 I built mine using FrontPage, but have so many images already organized, it would be a nightmare to set aside time and restructure my whole site (in sig below)....but WordPress offers a ton of plug-ins and that being said, it's also CSS format which is far better to help your site in the SERPs and getting indexed. And from the contacts I've had with different WP aficionados, it is very simple (intuitive) to use and get used to.
    I stuck with FP because it was considered a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get ON SCREEN) as you go along and build your site. But like I say, I have hundreds well, over 3000+ images and no patience to go backwards, strip it all apart and start from scratch.
    In essence, it took me over a year (initially was a technophobe) to learn FP /HTML how to add, tweak and SEO a site etc. etc. So that being said, choose your initial editor or software wisely and that will be your baby in the years to come.

dinrock, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  15. seowebsitetraffic

seowebsitetraffic Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Wordpress, Its help you a lot all the ways.

seowebsitetraffic, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  16. olavlind

olavlind Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to have a wordpress innstallation on your own hosting, and a few plugins. You need Google XML Sitemaps plugin so Google can find the pages and spider them right, All In One SEO pack plugin to take care of the SEO aspects of each post, WP OnlyWire Auto Poster plugin to automate social bookmarking, and some more is a good idea to install also.

After installing these, it's only a matter of matching the keywords in the title and body of your posts or pages to keywords that are searched in the search engines.

Hopes this helps...
    ~Olav

olavlind, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  17. kampbell411

kampbell411 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you feel more comfortable with an html site, go for it. Using a CMS like wordpress is easier if your updating constantly. On the other hand, you have a lot more flexibility with designing and adding more stuff where as in wordpress it becomes a little difficult since you are going by a strict templating system.

kampbell411, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  18. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    If you read the whole thread you would have read I decided to go with wordpress.

Thanks but how does it relate to the question?

sameer_reddy, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  19. jtaylo49

jtaylo49 Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with this. You can use thw Wordpress setup to do whatever you want. I highly recommend using it and creating your own theme to meet your needs. There is hardly any reason to do it any other way if you don't know what you are doing with PHP and MySQL and such. No offense, but you seem like you don't know what you are doing so go with Wordpress. Save yourself a lot of trouble.

jtaylo49, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  20. pkgelectricals

pkgelectricals Peon

Best Answers:
    add new pages nd provide a link to dat pages...everytime u write a new content...

pkgelectricals, Dec 26, 2009 IP