1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why BOTW is not penalized for selling links?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Jin, Dec 3, 2009.

1. checkblog

checkblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BOTW is not alone, yahoo directory also sell links but they still have good PR.

I dont know how google rate them, may be they are old and famous.

checkblog, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  2. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Business.com also has tons of dead links in its directory. Actually some of the biggest and most expensive directories are the worst maintained. Still does not stop people from submitting to them though since they are chasing the green bar!

tornado!, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will say it again ...please read an understand

It is the quality of the sites in the index that is of value.

Broken / dead links would only hurt the directories ability to rank well for organic SERP.

However broken / dead links have no relevancy to the sites in the directories index.

Sites, and nothing but the sites, are the determining factor of importance. Not how its designed, developed or how many dead links it has.....

Does this make sense???

Sem-Advance, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  4. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are several reasons why spending 300 dollars at yahoo is better than spending 150 dollars at botw. BOTW is charging half the price yahoo is charging, but when it comes to power comparison, BOTW is not even a fraction of Yahoo.

Yahoo directory has more than 3.5 million backlinks, which makes it a lot more powerful than Botw which has 301k backlinks.

When you submit in yahoo, your site gets imported into their UK and other versions of directory, however, you need to pay extra to get into UK version of BOTW!

Yahoo has a lot more free listings compared to BOTW

Make a quality site and submit in both botw and yahoo, after one year, if your site is good Yahoo might retain it in its index and not charge you, however, BOTW shall remove your listing regardless of quality of your site, they would need more money to get you back into the index.

Yahoo directory is owned by giant search engine, your listing in the yahoo could rise you in yahoo and both google.

I can keep on going!

Jin, Dec 7, 2009 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  5. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    This is probably the only thing I don't like in botw.

enQuira, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  6. DragonGuy

DragonGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what I think. BOTW is playing a negative leadership in the directory industry. It sets a high price for a link (that seems to go after Yahoo Directory and Buisiness.com) and other directories follow suit, while its link juice (whatever you call it) is really not even a fraction of Yahoo Directory and Business.com.

DragonGuy, Dec 7, 2009 IP
    Jin likes this.
  7. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is brilliant logic....:rolleyes:

What if to stop the amount of crappy sites submitted to BOTW..... they jacked the prices up.... to keep out the garbage???

Think that could be a reason???

Why do you think Yahoo charges $299.00???? there's no real work involved for them to list a site........so the only logical explanation is to keep the junk sites from submitting themselves.....

Not all what you see in life, is the reason things are done....;)

Sem-Advance, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  8. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well some months ago botw was 80$ a year and with a coupon you could have it for much less. now $150 and they say they will increase more, where's the logic...

wounded1987, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  9. DragonGuy

DragonGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One word to answer your question: Brand

DragonGuy, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  10. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't that every webmasters' intent with their websites?

Laceygirl, Dec 7, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  11. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What does BOTW mean?

Shawn Drewry, CEO of DrewryNewsNetwork

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  12. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I think Business.com would do better if they let ppl sign up for free, instead of charging

Shawn Drewry, CEO of DrewryNewsNetwork

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  13. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Plus they increase prices, since they know there are not much choices, they know people would still submit.

Jin, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  14. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK...I consider BOTW as part of Internet history and yes it is different and thats why the payment is worth it for those who can afford it. Do you understand the amount of investment that the owners have on that site? Do you not agree that it's worth getting listed in that directory than in those that charge 20 bucks with no editorial standard, no disclaimer, no stated policy, no promotion...BUT with a crap irrelevant high PR domain name that was never a directory? This is whats going on...

BOTW is not about PR. It's an established directory that's simply worth it because I really dont see it shut down in 2 years...

As far as the directory making money goes thats a return on investment. Would you not increase the value of your directory review (if you own one) if you really were confident that submitters will go for it no matter what?

alistair80, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  15. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like this directory, its probably one of the few in the market which are good enough for your website. Its part of internet history and i appreciate them for sustaining this long. I agree its powerful and your site shall get benefit from the botw listing.

The amount of investment? i am sure Alivedirectory and Avivadirectory spent pretty big bucks on the name of investment, if its your business you got to invest in! Look at http://Romow.com that guy was penalised, his directory stood still in last two years, constantly updating it with informative articles, he probably did not land any sale in last two years, now i wonder if BOTW can go through such treatment and stand still?

My reason for starting up this thread is not to argue or challenge the power of botw directory. I am upset at their pricing plan, i have sites listed with them and want to add few more, but this constant rise in price is ridiculous!

Jin, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  16. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well the question is, does BOTW is an old directory since 1993, if it does it will be highly unlikly that it will be panilized, because it's an old directory. Unlike the other directories this one was promoted over the years, Alive and other directories are few years old only and used a lot of money to promote HEAVLY and thus they got banned. This is why yahoo directory worth investment, any old trusted reputed directory of 5+ years worth investment, that's it. old directories are good because you can see that they are old and they have gathered so much reputation of the years that it will be un ethical from google to penalize them.

wounded1987, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  17. linkvoodoo

linkvoodoo Peon

Best Answers:
    It is because of the high quality site and review service it takes to get into botw. A lot of the directories that got penalized were ultra low quality and were only cluttering then web.

linkvoodoo, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  18. contactusa

contactusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Guys, let's not fool ourselves or anybody else! It's all about selling links!

• Yahoo is selling links
    • BOTW is selling links
    • Google is selling links
    • YOU are selling links

contactusa, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  19. haiwin

haiwin Peon

Best Answers:
    right ,this is key

haiwin, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  20. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of webmasters have quality sites but can't afford to pay $149 or $299 per year, and don't think it is worth that much money anyway.

What we need are some more quality directories with REASONABLE review fees, say $5 to $20, for a permanent listing. More people will submit when the fee is reasonable. And a small fee stops most spam submissions.

billybw, Dec 16, 2009 IP