1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

new Facebook in town

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by vincesil, Dec 5, 2009.

If you were to launch a new facebook, how would you call it and what should it look like?

vincesil, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  2. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I already have! Although it's not really a new Facebook, it's Facebook for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy fans, but it's still a Facebook (just a more defined niche). It doesn't have a ton of members right now but I am still building the site and it's great, the URL is http://www.destinyislands.com if you're interested.

I don't really think many people can compete with Facebook, it's absolutely huge and gets so much traffic. But you can compete with smaller niched Facebook-style sites, as there are tons of people interested in joining sites like that.

Ascendancy, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  3. jdoerr

jdoerr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I doubt that anyone can really compete with facebook with just some programming skills and a $1000 marketing budget by doing the same thing as facebook, but if someone was smart enough to come up with a whole new version of social networking it might work. I think I read that Google is coming up with a new app that will be like social networking, IM, and lots of other things combined all into one.

jdoerr, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  4. br3adman

br3adman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would think that it has been done but not successfully like face book.

br3adman, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  5. hello_welcome

hello_welcome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yea good idea to launch new facebook

hello_welcome, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  6. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're thinking of Google Wave. It's not gonna compete with Facebook, from what I know it's supposed to be more business oriented

Ascendancy, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  7. ArfanCh

ArfanCh Active Member

Best Answers:
    ahh too hard to compete against Facebook unless you are making a niche version of it

ArfanCh, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  8. Jonezyuk

Jonezyuk Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah would be very hard to compete with facebook, i was going to start one 'faceyourmates' but never got round to it.

Jonezyuk, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  9. socialpark

socialpark Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Facebook has already a large established base of users and is well entrenched and financed. It would be very difficult to come up with something new that would get you the same amount of users.

socialpark, Dec 6, 2009 IP
  10. vincesil

vincesil Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many other social network similar Facebook like Tagged, my space, beebo, Plentyoffish, and many more.

Why Do you think Facebook has so much success?

vincesil, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  11. malik mati

malik mati Peon

Best Answers:
    it would b very difficult...

malik mati, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  12. safetyforreal

safetyforreal Guest

Best Answers:
    well, i`m not sure either!

safetyforreal, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  13. n-james

n-james Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all plentyoffish is a dating site. Secondly do you think people are going to tell you how to beat Facebook if they know the answer? They'd build it themselves. Although if you want to beat Facebook create a new category - why do you think MySpace are no longer competing with Facebook and are expected to announce Facebook Connect on MySpace in the near future.

However, if you want to know why they are successful they operated what wasn't on MySpace - a friend importer - MySpace do have it on their site now but not after Facebook had acquired millions and millions of users. It also offered what MySpace didnt at the time - privacy for adults in a culter free environment where spammers didn't have fake profiles etc trying to befriend you - the importer sent emails (if you chose it to) to invite your friends to join you on Facebook / add them as a Facebook Friend. It helped them grow virally as well as a bunch of other factors such as the bad pr MySpace got over the sex offenders and cyberbullying.

Tagged.com also offer the same importer (except they do it spammily and act like a friend has said something on Tagged and by joining you can see it - you can't although I believe they are changing this).

n-james, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  14. World Class

World Class Peon

Best Answers:
    World Class, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  15. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    eewww, Thats one of the worst unsecure sites ever. What happens in two years when they decide to not come out with any more of those games. Then it'll be like the SegaCd Forums are now!

Facebook is uncompetable, but still is just a phase. In no time they will just get too annoying and people will run to the next annoying thing!:)

Laceygirl, Dec 7, 2009 IP
  16. vivideye.ca

vivideye.ca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook recently hit more than 300 million users. Instead of competing with facebook, why not create your own niche website and invest in it rather than waste your time competing with a multi-million dollar social network.

vivideye.ca, Dec 8, 2009 IP