1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

M$ is hit with a Linux Bomb by Novell & IBM

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Jun 17, 2004.

Looks like M$ could be in big trouble.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5237356.html?tag=zdnn.alert

anthonycea, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  2. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    mushroom, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Mushroom, Sun may not exist much longer, they are being forced to go open source, just like they were forced into what the article described by financial problems.

As far as their Java desktop, I downloaded it, but I removed it the same day.

Novell's Linux has a much better chance of making a dent than the Sun System. With IBM marketing Linux that puts Sun in a bad position with their proprietary closed source programs.

With IBM marketing Novell's desktop office software based on Linux that spells trouble for Sun.

Maybe they should sell off their company in pieces. These financial troubles are one reason they made peace with M$ recently, lack of money will make folks do strange things.

anthonycea, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  4. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    **** *** The end is coming for M$ !!

Sun just took M$ for 2B$ and they had to make it look good.

Sun's agressive marketing may make it the largest single Linux distibutor in the world by the end of the year.

Please do your rescearch before commenting.

mushroom, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Mushroom I think you better start reading the articles that you post and link to, below has been cut and pasted from YOUR link in this post not mine.

You better do YOUR research before commenting!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Opteron is an example of Sun pushing ahead to offer new technology, McNealy said. Getting the company's message out has been difficult, he acknowledged, referring to skepticism that has cropped up as a result of the company's financial troubles. Sun has seen two major rounds of layoffs and 10 consecutive quarters in which revenue declined compared with the year-earlier results.

"Sometimes we have to step above the noise and restate our relevance," he said.

McNealy derided a letter sent by Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Milunovich, who recently advised radical changes to Sun's business.

"I'm getting a lot of advice. Everybody's writing me letters," McNealy said. "One person suggested we unload Java. There's a good idea. Ford, why don't you unload cars?"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    M$ has 60 Billion in cash and Sun is in Debt up to their ears, so you are the one that better get real.

You are just saying the things you say in the hope that M$ falls, that ain't gona make it happen.

Sun has just started to look at linux, they have been a closed source company since they started, they are just thinking about going open source out of desperation as the market (IBM, Novell, Red Hat, even Corel) have got into Linux years ago, Sun is moving to try to save a failing business.

So I think you need to do a little more work and less wishful thinking that M$ will fall before Sun. FAT CHANCE, Gates Could buy the company if he wanted, plus Apple, plus HP, Plus Gateway.

The only thing that would prevent it is Antitrust laws.

He would have done it long ago if he could have.

anthonycea, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  6. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    If Sun makes it is not the point.

If my memory serves me correctly M$ had 80B$ in cash a couple of years ago.

Now thier cash reserves are down, they are losing market share, they are losing credibity ( they knew about a bug in Aug 2003 that was recently exploted by a virus or worm because no patch was released), they are facing law suits all over the planet, and even with all their $ and softwae dominance they are the ones making deals left and right ( bundled XP & Office for $40 in Tialand to name one ), they are facing a growing user revolt demanding better, safer, cheaper software.

The open source community is improving and expanding their software at a stagering rate, remenber M$ progamers not only have to write new code but also have to hide the source code (hiding their code may take longer than writing it).

Linux is gaining support from hardware makers & distributors, gaining server market, gaining desktop share, even making inroads in the gaming market and Linux is gaining momentum.

M$ is trying to maintain its near complete desttop dominance and is trying every leagal (?) trick in the book , But M$ is not always winnig and win or lose it's costing them $.

Even with M$'s $ I fully expect to see M$ filing for bankruptcy protection by the end of 2008.

Be skeptical if you wish but who on April 1 1912 would have belived the Titainic would sink on her maiden voyage. It happened April 15th 1912.

mushroom, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  7. al2six

al2six Active Member

Best Answers:
    sun can't go out of business! then I'll lose my $8 CPM rectangle ad!

al2six, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Mushroom, Bill Gates has given away more money then most large corportations will earn in profit every year.

If Microsoft closed yesterday, Gates would still have Billions in assests and could try to give away the rest of his money and would have a hard time doing it.

Please, you are talking about the world's richest man here.

Don't blow smoke around, all you are doing is making yourself look like the M$ haters club President. :eek:

anthonycea, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  9. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt MS will ever go bankrupt. I do see a draw between open source and closed source softwares. MS will always have a large group that will continue using their products because they are a lot better for inexperienced users and people that do not want to take the time to learn how to use a computer. I would be terrified to let a few of my friends run loose on a UNIX O/S without my constant supervision. Its so easy to change your MBR or anything else sensitive in Linux and Unix.

Feidan, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Apple did a pretty good job of making a UNIX operating system that my grandpa could use. :)

digitalpoint, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    The biggest threat to M$ is illegal software copying. China is taking Billions (maybe more than M$ total sales) of dollars from MR BILL.

That is why he wants universal AUTO ID built in to the OS, it will keep the software from working if it is a fake.

Next Corel came out years ago with a Linux based software program and guess what, Mr. Gates promptly made a big investment in Corel at that time.

Novell and IBM are going to make a Linux desktop easy to use, so you will not have the problems you mention Feidan.

anthonycea, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  12. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't get me wrong M$ has it's place. Where it dosen't belong is the Internet.

mushroom, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  13. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    True if you always run as root like M$ dose.

But if you run as a user there should be nothing you can do to hurt the OS in Linux.

mushroom, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  14. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Windows is a hybrid... You can hurt anything, but if you need to be a power user and delete a file that is in use, or kill a system process, you can't.

It's pretty lame if you ask me. :)

digitalpoint, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  15. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    Well in response to China's piracy, I can see why its wrong. Piracy in general causes lots of ethical debates; however, I do believe MS could encourage a drop in piracy by lowering there prices significantly. Last time I checked a store for Windows XP Pro (albeit it was about 6 months ago), it was 469.99$ CAN. Office also was into the hundreds. How can you blame piracy when you realise a lot of students are out there with very limited funds? They can either hope to find the funds for the software, get it in an OEM deal with a computer dealer, or buy a couple of blank cds and visit some p2p networks.

Feidan, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Like I said, Corel came out with a Linux desktop years ago, I have not looked at it recently, so I do not know if they are still pushing it.

But I do know that Mr. Gates made an investment in the company at that time, so he is involved with Linux indirectly.

As far as high prices, that will also create opportunity for the other Linux desktop (Novell/IBM/Corel/Red Hat) vendors.

High prices? M$ has a 90% profit margin on sales of software, that is the reason they sit on 60 Billion or whatever it is today in cash and have ZERO debt.

Shawn likes those types of figures I would bet.

Mr. Gates is pushing for AUTO ID/Trustbridge to counter the theft of software, it simply will not work without this so called interface back to M$

anthonycea, Jun 23, 2004 IP
    Feidan likes this.
  17. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    Well one problem I also forsee with this AUTO ID/Trustbridge is that "piracy" has different definitions across the world. The question will be, can MS directly take action against piracy on its own software or will it have to go through governments. If it has to go through governments, I forsee a problem.

So far as I know, copying of software is semi (in the case where you own it so you can use it) to fully legal. In Canada, for instance, it is legal for me to burn my office cd to disc, so long as I dont distribute it for a fee. If I am not mistaken, Canadian law also considers files burned from a p2p network legal ... (I can see a lot of people might want to move there).

As for China, I imagine their copyright laws are also extremely lax. I doubt MS will be able to convince their country to respect their AUTO ID/Trustbridge. Say MS detects a pirate. they inform the Chinese government. No legal action is taken because no Chinese law is broken.

Now if MS can directly take action against piracy, then I can see their plan working out really well.

Feidan, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, but if communication with M$ server is required for the software to work and you have no ID/Security Interface #, then the software will not function at all.

As far as the Corel Linux issue, look at this search and you will see background on this.

http://www.windseek.com/query?q=corel+microsoft+linux

I just went to the Corel Website and seen NO mention of this software at all, so it looks like the M$ investment took the product offering out of their portfolio completely.

Money talks, linux walks, when you need to make payroll to stay in business you will do what your investors want or go broke. That is the story here.

anthonycea, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  19. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats true for all businesses and companies. Thanks for the link. I will go check it out

Feidan, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  20. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sun, AMD64 and Linux is going to be huge in China. I believe they have already ordered 1,000,000 of Sun's machines. With 1,000,000,000 people, that's one huge market!

Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004 IP