1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Follow Backlinks From Un Related Niches?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by gary15, Nov 28, 2009.

1. LinkFriend

LinkFriend Member

Best Answers:
    IMO all links help in some way but don't forget the anchor text.

Ditto what has been said about links from bad neighbourhood harming you - I would not worry about this, Google recently made a point about this in their blog. If you could harm a site by pointing a dodgy link at it then all those negative SOBs would be doing it. Also no it doesn't work. Focus on what you CAN control i.e content.

LinkFriend, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  2. Ibanez | Jan

Ibanez | Jan Peon

Best Answers:

You're completely right.
    Relevant or not, it's all the same for the algo I think. I've had great success with a bunch of unrelated links.
    Of course related links will get you more real traffic by visitors. ;)

Ibanez | Jan, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  3. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think thefandango is spot on with his post. The only thing I would say about obtaining mostly non-relevant links (through link building rather than editorial votes) is that your backlink profile may look quite fishy if a Google employee were to manually review your site. Nothing screams algo manipulation more than having a page with a bunch of off-topic random links on it. If many of your backlinks are coming from non-relevant sites then a human would most likely detect this as manipulation, particularly if your link is non-contextual. However, the search engine bots are simply not programmed to determine relevancy like a human being can.

simpseo, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  4. livewithrichard

livewithrichard Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is not true. First you have to understand what a backlink is and to do that you have to understand what the WWW is and how it is not the same as the Internet. The internet is a network of global networks and the WWW is like software that locates and connects those networks. Backlinks are like pointers on a map and as the search engines send out their spiders to crawl the WWW they recognize and remember those pointers. The more pointers you have out there directing the spiders back to one location the better positioning your site with have in the SERPs. The more pointers (backlinks) coming from high PR site the better and even better if they are coming from relevant high PR sites.

If you have a niche site on "dog training" and you find and place a link on another low pr dog training site, that backlink will not have nearly as much weight as if you wrote a hub or lens and placed a link on it.

If you have a low or no PR site then you stand very little chance at getting a backlink placed on a relevant High PR site. You should be placing as many links as you can anywhere you can. Your PR will rise over time and then you can try getting links on higher PR sites.

livewithrichard, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  5. eauncarter

eauncarter Active Member

Best Answers:
    A link is a link...related or unrelated all helps :)

eauncarter, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  6. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    The only input I want to give is I agree unrelated links can still help, However I would be careful about putting to much effort into blog commenting etc.. As Google has already warned against this recently and will probably be discounting those links very soon.

Barre Tire, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  7. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They can have a good effect, but also a bad one

omarabid, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  8. Sukijus

Sukijus Peon

Best Answers:
    Unrelated links will boost number of links you have, and that's the good thing. But related links will boost number of links and get you some traffic...

Sukijus, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  9. LinkFriend

LinkFriend Member

Best Answers:
    Unrelated links (as long as they have the target keyword as anchor text) will improve your serp for that keyword. Therefore you can obtain high rankings for a specific keyword (and therefore traffic) from unrelated links. The chance to receive direct traffic from a related link seems low unless the linking page itself is receiving high traffic. But a related link will improve your serp for a specific keyword (as long as it has the target anchor text) in much the same way as an unrelated link. That said looking slightly longer term (from what I have observed) a related link will hold more weight and especially so if it is contained within some relevant text. Naturally the number of outbound links the page contains will also be a major factor i.e less = more (juice/weight).

LinkFriend, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  10. jason830

jason830 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion,whatever the link is related or not related, if it is do follow, it is useful for you.But related links is better,the quality and could get you traffics.

jason830, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  11. DamnTees

DamnTees Active Member

Best Answers:
    a link is just another pathway that leads to your website which I feel is good no matter how you dice it.

DamnTees, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  12. to_m

to_m Guest

Best Answers:
    You don`t have to worry about that, I never seen any of my sites penalized even if I spam them as a hell on unrelevant sites. I am in the business since 5 years :).

Otherways your competitors could down your website easy, any website they want :)

to_m, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  13. bizguru

bizguru Peon

Best Answers:
    It is my belief that all links help. If there is relevancy, anchor text and or high PR then each of those 3 things makes it even better.

Let's assume that you have a make money online site and someone has a dog training site. On their dog training site they say if you want to learn how to "make money online" with a dog training or any site check this out .... and if the make money online is an anchor text to your site. you are laughing. Also as you asked on this post ... you now get votes from a non related site.

Again I still think if they had a link to you for any reason it would help to some degree.

Cheers

bizguru, Dec 3, 2009 IP