1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sub Domain or Sub Directory

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by yh1988, Dec 3, 2009.

I am running a soccer site for a long time. It's all about the news and article. Recently, I am looking to expand the site by adding the soccer training info my site. I find out that they are different niche even though both are related to Soccer. Therefore, I decide to install another blog in the same domain. Now, My major conflict is whether to use sub domain or sub directory. I knew that both way have their own advantages. But, I really have no idea which one to use under my situation. I am thinking to buy another domain for the site but it seems not necessary. So, I would like to listen the opinion from user in DP.
    Your comments are really appreciated!

yh1988, Dec 3, 2009 IP
    webcosmo likes this.
  2. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    If you install a different blog, I suggest using subdomain. It makes new blog to look more individual.

Hosting24, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  3. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd do subdomains just to keep them straight but that's just me. Matt Cutts has said a number of times that for separate sites, there's no longer any difference between a subdomain and a subdirectory install although me personally still think there is to some extent.

theapparatus, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  4. aceriker

aceriker Banned

Best Answers:
    aceriker, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  5. TheLinkBuilders

TheLinkBuilders Peon

Best Answers:
    Theapparatus is right - Matt Cutts has repeated this numerous times.

TheLinkBuilders, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  6. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    subdomains are considered as separate sites as per SEO. I would prefer this option just because it organizes things better.

webcosmo, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  7. aceriker

aceriker Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think that has been true for a while now. Refer to the post above with the quote from Matt Cutts, he clearly says that it is treated no differently to a sub-folder.

aceriker, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  8. pinkretard

pinkretard Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts is not god. If he said jump from 10th floor because it will help your website to rank better, would you?

Apart from this, subdomain or another directory - there is no difference at all. I tried it myself. The best thing you could do in terms of SEO is using the same domain, the same directory, but the filenames should be different.

pinkretard, Dec 3, 2009 IP
    Frost813 likes this.
  9. Frost813

Frost813 Peon

Best Answers:
    That depends on whether or not I would rank for my top keywords. :D

I'll throw in my 2 cents on the subject. I was at the SMX East conference in October, and I heard from both Joachim Kupke (a member of the indexing team for Google) and Maile Ohye (Senior Support Engineer for Google), that it doesn't matter whether you choose sub domains, or directories. They mentioned that subdomains looked like they were making a comeback.

I'll take their word over others any day of the week. Matt offers good anti-spam insight, but there are people with even greater insight than him.

Frost813, Dec 3, 2009 IP