1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hire a copywriter or do it yourself?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Ladan Lashkari, Aug 14, 2006.

I've seen many Internet marketing gurus write their sales letters themselves and are very good at it...

On the other hand, I've seen many other gurus hire a professional copywriter to do it for them.

So which one do you think is best for your business as an Internet marketer?

Recently I've been thinking about hiring a copywriter to write a sales letter for my ebook. I did quite a deep research and found some good copywriters who do a great job, but I'm not sure about this whole idea yet.

What do YOU think? Is it better for your business to learn how to write killer sales copy yourself - even though it will take time and you might not master this skill as a top-gun copywriter has?

Or is it better to seek the help of a great copywriter and let him do all the work for you and bring you high conversion rates quickly - even though it means you have to pay him some thousands of dollars and also depend on another person's skills and don't learn it yourself?

Thanks,

Ladan

Ladan Lashkari, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  2. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think experts will write better, i,am looking to hair article writer for my client biz site

seo-mumbai, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  3. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on you, your initial level of skills, and your ability to pick up new skills quickly. There's no one right answer, it depends on the individual.

What you do need is an honest opinion about your copywriting from someone else, preferably not a friend or relation. It might help you to write out a draft of your sales letter, and show it to someone impartial for an appraisal. What you need to find out is, how much more have you got to learn? The trick will be in finding someone who is both impartial and experienced in copywriting.

Obelia, Aug 14, 2006 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  4. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    You have to take into account the amount of productivity lost if you choose to learn copywriting for yourself as well as the benefits to possibly hiring a professional to do the work for you.

If you are unsure of your abilities as a copywriter, personally I'd recommend hiring someone with years of experience in the field to create a sales letter for you. While you must be prepared to spend money to obtain quality, it might be well worth it in the long run because it gives you the freedom to concentrate on running your business rather than learning a new skill you don't personally need.

DeniseJ, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  5. Ladan Lashkari

Ladan Lashkari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I have some copywriting knowledge and experience so I decided to do it myself and then ask for critiques from some professional copywriters.

I have already written a sales letter for my ebook and it works pretty fine. I just want to rewrite it to improve the conversion rate.

Writing effective copy is a very valuable skill so I think it's better that we learn it ourselves rather than depending on other people.

Ladan Lashkari, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  6. felix77

felix77 Peon

Best Answers:
    if u have a website where u want traffic to come sooner or later u the copy ureself.. even a part of it.. even if u dint want to in the first place.. :)

felix77, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  7. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Prime example of why it's important to hire a copywriter. :D

I figured out what you meant, but your visitors won't be as patient or forgiving.

marketjunction, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  8. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    You should get everybody to do as much for you as possible. Delegation, thats what capitalism (pimping) is all about.

Hon Daddy Dad, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  9. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's from your letter. If there's a way that someone can do it sooner, don't say tomorrow, because that's a put off. Of course, if that's true, then kick me in the pants. :D

Change that. Terms like newbie shouldn't be used, IMHO, for those new to the experience. Simply use the word "new." It also comes across as elitist.

You have the basic form down fine and you know this, because the letter is working to some degree for you.

Good luck!

marketjunction, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  10. caligurl

caligurl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let the professionals do it!

caligurl, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.

When I first started out in business, I did everything myself, including writing promotional content - okay it was average, but I quickly learned, that even with the best will in the World, you can't be good at everything.

So, alot of work is now tendered out to reliable individuals who I can trust, and provide a professional service, i.e graphic design, article creation etc.

DarrenC, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  12. Ladan Lashkari

Ladan Lashkari Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've said "tomorrow" because after they read the ebook, it will take them an average of one day to use the market research and idea generating techniques to find several great product ideas.

Some of my customers have found several great ideas in just a few hours, but since not everyone is going to get this result so fast, I say "until tomorrow", so that I under-promise and OVERdeliver.

Good idea. I will do that.

Thanks! :)

Ladan Lashkari, Aug 22, 2006 IP