1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is It Only Me? Or Do All Programmers Hate "Designing" Websites

Discussion in 'Programming' started by AfroRadioHead, Nov 30, 2009.

?

How Do You Feel About Web Design

1. I Wish It Was Instant

75.0%
  2. Not A Problem For Me

25.0%
    The whole process of web design for me is terrible. I hate opening photoshop or fireworks and sit there trying to come up with a design for my website. There are times where I even hate coding html and css. I just want to get down to the nitty gritty web programming.

I know this can be my greatest downfall in the web community, but is it just me, or do other people feel this same way?

AfroRadioHead, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  2. dsignresponder

dsignresponder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Afro MAN!

I'm a PHP coder and unlike you, I actually like webdesign VERY MUCH! :p
    Sometimes - usually when I spend too much time looking at <?php :eek: - I really enjoy opening Photoshop/Corel and making some graphic elements, logos or whatever for websites.... :rolleyes:

What I REALLY dislike about 'designing' websites is HTML/CSS work.... I use <table> instead of <div> to place the containers and sometimes I loose my patience to format ALL the blocks to look as they are supposed to....

Well, that's me...

dsignresponder, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  3. JamesKPowers

JamesKPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think that's really common actually. To be honest when I've worked with Webdesigners all the really great ones refused to do the HTML, for some reason they were only good at the graphical side. I would then get someone else to do the coding and programming.

Two different jobs, two different mindsets. :)

JamesKPowers, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  4. pixmania

pixmania Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't call myself a php coder, but I can do most things. Designing is not one, I hate it, its probable down to the fact that I'm just not good at using the programs rather then my design thoughts.

pixmania, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  5. Aitch

Aitch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think many web developers/programmers hate developing sites for clients because usually they start changing their minds about this and that half way through. This sends developers and designers absolutely nuts.

On the other side, those who employ the services of developers and designers are often let down. Firstly because many of them don't do, or won't do what was agreed at the start of a project, and secondly because the deadlines, more often than not, shoot right over the promised date by days or even weeks. Some of this might also be tied into the above faffing around by clients.

It's hardly a match made in heaven is it! I spent 4 days once with a client over a bloody hue can you beleive? I almost threw myself and the computer out of the window with sheer frsutration!!! It's easy to understand how the shine can go off such thankless tasks!

Andii

Aitch, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  6. vlad11

vlad11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I like programming more although it depends on my mood. Sometimes i want to just make my site more...beautifull :D:D

vlad11, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  7. TheCheesePolice

TheCheesePolice Member

Best Answers:
    Even though I rarely make websites, I do hate the design, yes.

TheCheesePolice, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  8. n3r0x

n3r0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im 100% coder 0% Photoshop nerd.. I think that says it. :p

n3r0x, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  9. buddyportal

buddyportal Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a PHP coder, and for me I can't wait to get to the CSS and designing the images/logos. I love CSS so much, I think it is just watching a great design come together, and tweaking it here and there to make it perfect. And then the moment comes when you look at it and feel that great sense of success and say "wow, did I really design that?." But thats just me, I can understand how someone might find the task of making the PHP work into the design kind of dull and annoying.(in the case of a php coder)

buddyportal, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  10. HOD-Jardin

HOD-Jardin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think leave designers to do there thing, and let programmers make sure it works properly :)

HOD-Jardin, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  11. HOD-Jardin

HOD-Jardin Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have a portfolio I could have a look at?

HOD-Jardin, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  12. buddyportal

buddyportal Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea but of course you have the people who want to do it all :) I personally could not stand designing a website without doing some of the php, it would drive me nuts!

buddyportal, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  13. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I enjoy the development and design side of it - but what kills me is spending weeks on pushing pixels to match up the grid perfectly... its fun initially, but the weeks of tweaks later is what kills me.

ccoonen, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  14. AfroRadioHead

AfroRadioHead Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, this makes me feel better about myself. Ahh thanks people :) I'm happy now.

Now I know I'm not setting up myself for failure in this industry.

AfroRadioHead, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  15. n3r0x

n3r0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Sure my portfolio is my projects / Websites with custom sources.. If you want to see what i´ve done send me a pm and i´ll give you a list. ;)

n3r0x, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  16. NeoCambell

NeoCambell Peon

Best Answers:
    Programming can be divided in to two main parts.
    1. Application/System/Embedded
    2. Web

Web programming involves programming with scripting languages like php, jsp, etc... where scrits are passed to a web server and executes. When we refer web programming it is usually we refer php, mysql, html, xhtml, designing of web pages, etc...

However when we refer programming, we refer number 1. Otherwise we will specially refer it web programming.

So in my opinion, the answer is true, core programmers doesn't like web designing. The main reason is they enjoy writing codes which can be directly executed on GPUs, Microcontrollers or even on DSPs where mostly lots of mathematical concepts like Fourier Transformations, FIR, IIR filtering, etc.. are involved.

The other reason is web programming (including graphics of a web page, etc..) is a real talented job. Just a few people can actually make a site attractive though the php coding is perfect inside. It is a common thing that engineers have a bad eye :)

So I think we don't have to worry, we can't learn or do everything... lets do what we enjoy the most.

NeoCambell, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  17. harishsyndrome

harishsyndrome Peon

Best Answers:
    I Always prefer a template and might spend time to customize. But starting from the Scratch is very terrible

harishsyndrome, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  18. theta

theta Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is another category of programmers who also program based on mathematical techniques - graph theory, game theory, etc, who's lives revolve around algo's. They are also generally application programmers but different from the above.

theta, Dec 5, 2009 IP