1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this why Google won't index my site?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Norebbo, Nov 30, 2009.

I built a 50 page website for a client about a month ago, and I'm rather surprised to see that it hasn't been crawled by Google yet. There is a lot of unique content there - about 5000 words, proper code (alt tags, headers, etc), and thousands of images with full IPTC data. We haven't started marketing it yet, but I really expected it to get a small amount of organic hits every day on it's own.

So far: 0 traffic. And I do mean 0. I've never had that happen before with any website I've built.

It's hosted on a shared server that I use for another website (lets call it websiteA.com). I have had it for about 7 years, and it never gets updated - it's been years since I last touched it. This new website (called websiteB.com) is hosted under the same account as websiteA.com. WebsiteB.com isn't a subdomain of websiteA.com - they are simply two domain names sharing one hosting account.

Since websiteA.com is pretty much inactive according to Google, is that why websiteB.com isn't getting indexed? This is driving me crazy...

Norebbo, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  2. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Norebbo,

I understand the situation you are in right now. I have faced similar problems before as well.
    You need to understand that the G algorithm changes quite often. They experiment all the time, so for you I have got a simple solution:

Add your url here http://www.google.com/addurl/
    Submit your homepage url at http://digg.com

I do believe you have robots.txt and sitemap on the website. If not add it immediately.

Regards
    Soulz

SOULZRIPPER, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  3. zgerm

zgerm Peon

Best Answers:
    you can submit your sitemap to webmaster portal and let search engines index your url

zgerm, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  4. MoviesP.com

MoviesP.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Promote the site a little bit, ping, social bookmark, article marketing and so on.

MoviesP.com, Nov 30, 2009 IP
  5. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    try to analyze in webmasters tool for that domain. if the domain is used spam / scam etc previously it may be banned in G and its useless to put effort on such domain

chandan123, Nov 30, 2009 IP
    mdamin76 likes this.
  6. manny07

manny07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you submit your website using Google Webmaster Tools? Try to build links directly to your website this will also help in fast indexing of Google.

manny07, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  7. jonbuoy

jonbuoy Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never heard of a problem caused by another site hosted on the same server, so I can only assume that you need to make Google aware of the site, using webmaster tools, backlinks, etc as previously suggested.

One other thought though - whichever program you use to analyse hits may not be set up correctly, hence recording zero hits.

jonbuoy, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  8. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen this in the past. As of now I have a site sitting, I don't wanna hold for now. Until i had one link to that, there was no traffic at all. Now I get a few visits once in a while.

Without marketing a website is a beautiful girl in the dark. :)

webcosmo, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  9. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is spending most of its time crawling Twitter and is lagging big time when it comes to new sites.

Build some links, submit a press release, and wait for Google to take a Twitter break. Then your site will get indexed. But in most cases, Yahoo and Bing will index your site first. And it has nothing to do with the other site on your server btw. Google is just laggy like grandpa these days!

tornado!, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  10. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the more people I talk to about this, the more it seems as if my problem is becoming more common. I haven't tried manually submitting it, but I think that sounds like a logical next step. Fingers crossed...

Norebbo, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  11. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So what happens when you do a "site:example.com" search? How many pages are returned.. If no pages are returned, then its more than just a slow crawling/indexing issue.
    If the site is indexed but doesn't come up for even long tail searches that have little competition, then the domain may have been penalized in the past and you may need to request reconsideration.

But without knowing what the domain is, its all just a guessing game for us..

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Dec 1, 2009 IP
    mdamin76 likes this.
  12. progenic2009

progenic2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    This only proves that you haven't build yet a good backlinks for your site.
    I suggest to check your backlinks then try to improve and give more effort on link building.

progenic2009, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  13. elogixstudio

elogixstudio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just bookmark it with social network sites and it will probably index in 1 day or 2 at max.

elogixstudio, Dec 1, 2009 IP
  14. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try digg. I heard it works to get your site indexed faster into google.

mdamin76, Dec 1, 2009 IP
    chandan123 likes this.
  15. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should also make sure that your website does not have a noindex tag because this tells search engines to not index a page or site

affilorama, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  16. smivers.com

smivers.com Peon

Best Answers:
    It wont be a site on same server if that was the case we would all be in a mess, 30% of websites are hosted by Hostgator.

smivers.com, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  17. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing is returned. It's a brand new website, so I can't imagine it has been penalized in any way. Very confusing!

Norebbo, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  18. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It may be a new(ish) site, but its not brand new, it should well and truly be indexed by now.
    What about domain history? Even if the domain was unregistered before you registered it, does not mean its never been registered before...
    What does Domaintools say about it. Is there reference to it in archive.org.
    Are robots somehow being blocked or redirected by meta, robots.txt, .htaccess etc...

There are several reasons why Google will not have indexed a site 1 month after it was launched.. "because Google is slow" is not one of them.

Your site has issues, without knowing the URL of the site, all anyone here can do is guess.

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  19. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    WebsiteB must be indexed on its own even though WebsiteA is inactive. Try submitting a sitemap through google webmaster tools in order to get indexed, and try pinging through pingomatic pingoat pingler etc.

Traffic-Bug, Dec 2, 2009 IP
  20. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's my thinking as well. Even typing the domain name directly into google search brings back nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. Likewise for Yahoo and Bing...it's as if the website is hidden for some reason - none of the search engines can find it.

I can't find any references to old websites with this domain name (nothing shows up in archive.org). Domaintools has up to date info for the site, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary there. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for? As far as the robots.txt or htaccess files, I haven't even touched them - my other websites on this same server don't seem to have a probelm getting crawled.

The fact that even Yahoo and Bing haven't found it tells me that there is a problem. I might move it to a different server to see what happens...

Norebbo, Dec 3, 2009 IP