1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link on wikipedia

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by coldclimber, Aug 22, 2006.

How valuable do you think it is to have a link on wikipedia as they have just put an external link to my site on their page which is a pr5

coldclimber, Aug 22, 2006 IP
    sixty6 likes this.
  2. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's valuable by itself + sites that use wikipedia content like answers.com will index & list it as well, so that's multiple links eventually...

eXe, Aug 22, 2006 IP
    sixty6, Bondat and Stefan like this.
  3. zokiii

zokiii Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you get this link ?

zokiii, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  4. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Click on "Edit this page" in your article of choice & add your url under "External links":p

That's a how-to by the way, wikipedia policy states that you may not use it as a vehicle to promote commercial businesses and websites. A good tip is to actually create a page with useful content & link to the particular page from wikipedia.

eXe, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  5. coldclimber

coldclimber Peon

Best Answers:
    infact that is not the way to get a link on wikipedia at all! dont be a prat Jesus Christ man

You need to have a site that is unique and provides a source of information that no other site has or a site that is worthy of bieng listed

coldclimber, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  6. delrivo

delrivo Guest

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia is an excelent resource for some people. Luckily it is well monitored by these people to stop link spammers doing what jesus just said.

delrivo, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  7. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah - like I have been saying all my life - don't listen to Jesus Christ.

Phynder, Aug 22, 2006 IP
    delrivo likes this.
  8. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    not true. it is just that easy to get a link there, all you have to do is click edit and put it there..no matter how spammy, how many Ads or how piece of crap you site it, you can "ADD" it in Wiki

The only thing to worry is how fast it will get removed, and that's depend on if you are lucky or not

ahkip, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  9. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's right

that's wrong

that's right

And a good way to get into Wikipedia is by writing an article about something unique your website is doing. Remember the SEO Contests near the end of last year that John Scott started? Well SEOLogs.com held one a while before and look at this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=redscowl+bluesingsky&fulltext=Search

Then John Scott:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...&search=v7ndotcom+elursrebmem&fulltext=Search

But Tim Schroeder:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...tsambew+dash+klat+for+charity&fulltext=Search

*there are a few more, but I'm too lazy

Most of them are in this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEO_contest

See John was the one who announced his contest first and got A TON of people riled up about it (and was one of the biggest) and look at how many results he has.

However, I can bet that most SEO Contests after this point (unless they're HUGE with a good 100,000 or so :D) would get noticed because the whole idea is over now (maybe try again in a few 5 years) and everyone's bored with the idea..

OR

You can become a celebrity on the net like:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=matt+cutts&fulltext=Search

OR

offer something really cool and neat like DP's Co-Op:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=digitalpoint&fulltext=Search

Almost every SEO knows of DP's Co-Op (and they were the first) because it was so darn unique and smart (even though it wasn't aimed at SEO :)) and he wasn't looking to make money off of it like Link Vault.........

sixty6, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  10. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Next time, read the fucking post:)

eXe, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  11. affordableweb

affordableweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    building a co-op program like dp may be bit much for most of us to get a link in wikipedia.

I've got one site listed twice and 6 other sites listed once each on PR6 pages by finding pages that need content added to them and actually providing a quality reference that cites a page on my site. I have built four new pages of fresh content and linked them up through relevant internal pages in the site and I hope to get a PR boost from those eventually.

Trick to building your own page is properly linking it from other internal pages to get it indexed. using wikipedia takes some work but the value is there from my results.

affordableweb, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  12. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's why I included those SEO Contests, the one held by SEOLogs was for a laptop and $500 (donated by Shoemoney) and it got indexed!

sixty6, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  13. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    terryuk, Aug 23, 2006 IP
    sixty6 likes this.
  14. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not bad! When did you get indexed?

And if you wrote that article, maybe you should have added some more things to bring in some SE Love as well as WikiPedia Traffic (by searching)..

sixty6, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  15. SEOTeam

SEOTeam Peon

Best Answers:
    First step in getting your links to stay is to reference some news on your site on the wiki page. The news has to be viable and usefull or you will be taken off.

Honestly its pretty hard to do this and make it stick. I talked to a john who is an editor at wiki (do you know these editors dont get paid but they work on it all the time for free. WHY!!! lol)

What I have done is create a users page. Create my own topic and then get many links sent to it to get the pr up. Thats one of the ways you can create your own personal page on wiki without having it queed for deletion.

Yea answers and other sites do pull from wiki but you need to put viable information on that page that is truly contributing and not an EXTERNAL link.

That is the best way you can get your site taken off.

SEOTeam, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  16. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just made the page this minute, so i might touch it up later :)

terryuk, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  17. SEOTeam

SEOTeam Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope it is around in a few days. I doubt it.

SEOTeam, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  18. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Theres no harm in it being there, it'd be nice for it to stay around, it'd be a quick index solution for new websites, but it is only stating the simple facts that i'm Terry Bytheway :p

terryuk, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  19. SEOTeam

SEOTeam Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason it wont is because you have to have a certain level of fame and viral marketing to be on that site.

Trust me I have done this before and been down this path. Do yourself a favor and create yourself a user page. It will stay online and it will enable your sites to have a wiki back link and be crawled.

If your page u created is still there in a week then I will be impressed but I can 99% gaurantee you that it will be taken down soon.

SEOTeam, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  20. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It isn't there anymore :p

eXe, Aug 23, 2006 IP