1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So where DO I start??

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by confusedone, Nov 19, 2009.

Hi, i think I asked a similar question here and on another forum, regarding my site. Where do I start? I was advised that here is a good place to get all the relevant information without paying for some ebook via a convincing marketeer, and to ask away with specific questions. I was also advised on lots of occasions to learn JUST ONE THING i.e. get a good grounding in link-building, or keywords, or SEO etc then move onto the next. Common advice so i'm guessing good advice and seems sensible really.

My question is where do we start? looked at SEO and a strong component seems to be keywords, good ones that are relevant (??) and some have gave examples of good amounts to use without overloading.

Have to say i'm still pretty lost. Should i consider focusing on the keyword topic first? and ok I can read through these forums (was hoping for a intro sticky type of post) but it all seems very bitty, and just with snippets of information.

Can anyone advise me further?

Many thanks, Alan.

confusedone, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  2. dukeofism

dukeofism Peon

Best Answers:
    First thing you need to do is read up on finding a good niche. Everything you do after this depends on your niche.

dukeofism, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  3. gracecheung

gracecheung Peon

Best Answers:
    First focus on something you're interested in. Then, find a niche within that interest. After you think you have developed a good niche, then start doing some comprehensive keyword research.

gracecheung, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  4. zeekstern

zeekstern Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start what? Learn IM? Need to be a little clearer. Promote a site?

In any case, the best place to start is by learning the basics. You can't get anywhere without it. For example, if you already have a site, you are doing it backwards. Normally you want to find your product/niche first and then build a site around it if there is a market for it. This is just basic stuff.

The problem with trying to find out everything on your own without guidance is that everyone has their own ways of doing things. One person will tell you start here, and another to start there. I say red, they say blue. You can spend years going around in circles and never getting anywhere. It will just confuse the heck out of you.

The best way to start is to spend a few bucks, get some guidance that will show you what you need to learn, and when you need to learn it.

Hope this helps,

Zeek

zeekstern, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  5. Tess_T

Tess_T Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you find a niche that isn't overly competitive, yet still profitable. Test out a few; see what works. Find some good keywords, build a free blog on blogger or a squidoo lens. Use your keywords and variables of your keyword at about a 2% keyword density.

Then, write 2 or 3 articles per day for a week and submit them to a few of the top article directories. Link them to your blog or squidoo lens, and see what happens.

This is a cheap (free) way of testing the waters to determine a niche that may be profitable for you. Good luck:)

Tess_T, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  6. smile633

smile633 Peon

Best Answers:
    "The best way to start is to spend a few bucks, get some guidance that will show you what you need to learn, and when you need to learn it."

I agree completely with you, zeekstern - learn from someone who is already successful! It cuts down the time and frustration!

smile633, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  7. confusedone

confusedone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for all your replies. Ok Suppose i should have asked this a bit better for my needs. Once I have a niche idea, and seems feaseable, THEN what? Someone said I am going the wrong way about it if I already have a website, sorry yes already did that. Well, bought a few domains anyway. Still I am reasonably happy with the domains I have, and the topics!

From getting your niche (as a newbie) where should I go? start on keyword research? or find out how that is even done?? My idea was to get a site up, no matter how poor (and it isnt really that expensive to try out really, once paid for hosting and actually got the domain). From here I was going to apply things i picked up to those sites and use them as a learning process.

Where do I start this process??

Someone said that paying a bit to get guidance would be a good idea? Gladly do that too if it were gen, but quite a lot of people here say that even paid advice, well the advisors will 'hold things back' as they are making their money from you!???

Aaggghh lost here! But will keep reading around this site anyway for hope.

Many thanks for your time, alan.

confusedone, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  8. ShaukatSDGuide

ShaukatSDGuide Guest

Best Answers:
    Find a niche, based on your interest. Then, do keyword research. After you find good keywords, optimize your site accordingly.

ShaukatSDGuide, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  9. donluttrull

donluttrull Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is what I would do, research products that OTHERS are CURRENTLY successful in then research their efforts online. You can check their backlinks, see where their traffic is coming from and see how their site and landing page is setup.

THEN

Locate something that YOU are interested in and can actually talk about versus something that pays out 75% or that is a hot niche market that ALL top tier marketers are dabbling in. If you have a hobby then locate a product or build your own (ebook, guide, video, audio) and use what you have learned from researching a successful marketers efforts and then simply duplicate but in YOUR niche.

donluttrull, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  10. confusedone

confusedone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply here. Question - how do i see a sites current backlinks? and see where their traffic is coming from? ANd yes have lots of hobbies, and bought a domain around that although it is in the fitness industry so fully aware it is massively competitive, but could write about that all day!!

Thanks again, Alan.

confusedone, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  11. Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should get some general knowledge of a lot of ways to make money online and find something that you like. Then learn EVERYTHING about it.

But most important thing TAKE ACTION!!!

Mr.Anderson, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  12. paulie888

paulie888 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, don't get ahead of yourself. Just focus on one thing at a time, if you already have a site and a domain, then the next thing to do is start optimizing your SEO and rankings (This is assuming that you've already done your keyword research, which is probably one of the most important things that newbies gloss over.)

Do it step by step, don't jump around from one area to another; don't lose your focus!

Paul

paulie888, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  13. smile633

smile633 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think reading on this forum is a good start and then googling different topics. There is a lot of good and free information around. Additionally I like following someone who has success - and even if they earn through me - what's wrong with that? They teach me too, so that's a fair exchange.
    Make sure though that you checked their program before you buy in to it! A good way is to find reviews on the net or google them or ask the forum. All the best, Alan! You are on the right track - started something that can take you a long way!

smile633, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  14. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    First thing you need to do is find a good niche to promote. You can use tools like Nichebot, Market Samurai, etc. for this. They provide scores as to the keyword competition, etc. so you can decide for yourself.

Traffic-Bug, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  15. xyforever

xyforever Active Member

Best Answers:
    read more and do more...good luck

xyforever, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  16. bodzila

bodzila Peon

Best Answers:
    This should be made sticky, as these number of threads can be down a little!

bodzila, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  17. AmieMarse

AmieMarse Peon

Best Answers:
    There are so many free tools out there for you to use. Spend some time and they will fall in your lap.

Here's an easy thing to do - type in the keyword you would like to be a part of - take the top 10 or so sites and evaluate them. Type in "Site:www....." whatever the domain is. This will give you an idea of how well they are doing and what your competition really is and what they are doing.

Good luck!

I know I am not suppose to promote anything in my first few posts - but I am not affiliated with this at all - for reallies :) But you should try that 30 day challenge or something... It goes through step by step how to utilize all sorts of things and get your site properly positioned. Within it, there are promotions for traffic bug and others. Again, I just run a measly ecommerce site - but that 30 day challenge was really helpful to me.

AmieMarse, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  18. MoviesP.com

MoviesP.com Peon

Best Answers:
    pick up a niche, and start article marketing

MoviesP.com, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  19. Mely120

Mely120 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do yourself a favor and try out the Keyword Academy crash course. http://thekeywordcrashcourse.info/

There are no 2 guys with more integrity that will teach you a step by step approach for finding profitable keywords and making money with Adsense and other monetization methods. These guys are a treasure find. They let you try out the course for $1 for the first month. It's $33 thereafter and worth every penny. The price is a steal for what you get - a video series, monthly webinar, professional forum and IM tools that they have developed or purchased from other IM gurus.

Mely120, Nov 29, 2009 IP