1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who Runs DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Going Green, Nov 28, 2009.

I read all about Dmoz.Org and have heard that Dmoz.org is run by a group of people. Is it possible that i can be able to contact any one of these supreme authorities?

Going Green, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  2. pcweb

pcweb Peon

Best Answers:
    No, there is no Quote.
    that is 100% free. There is not, nor will there ever be, a cost to submit a site to the directory, and/or to use the directory's data. The Open Directory data is made available for free to anyone who agrees to comply with our free use license.

pcweb, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The "supreme authority" is AOL staff.

The editors run the community and it is overseen by senior editors and admins, but when it comes to anything, its really AOL that run the site.

NO editor can speak on behalf of AOL and they are probably the people that you wish to speak with.

snooks, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  4. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    There was some buzz last year about BOTW taking over the directory, but I don't know if it went anywhere.

The directory is run by editors (volunteers). To become an editor you go through an application process, but it's pretty much impossible to get in now as all the editors are marketers that hoard their little categories and don't want anybody else getting in.

"Women...can't live with them...can't shoot 'em." :D

Christian Little, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a load of garbage. We really want new editors and we encourage people to apply, but sadly, many applications do not get accepted for various reasons.

snooks, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  6. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre and Ivan Bajlo like this.
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And you believe everything you read is true (LOL)

I have a nice bridge for sale if you wish to buy it? Its called the Sydney Harbour Bridge and its going real cheap, payment by Western Union only :) I can do you a good deal, real cheap.

snooks, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  8. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said I believe everything I read, nice leap out of context.

I tend to believe something when I can find tons of evidence to support it.

If you search google for....

"dmoz is corrupt" - 11,000 results
    "corrupt dmoz" - 2,200 results

Several of those records appear on major sites like SERoundTable.com - which I would take seriously.

Shoemoney is one of the most successful bloggers on the planet and he was extorted.

Let's see...we have thousands of results on Google claiming it's corrupt vs your word. And you wonder why I'm not agreeing with you?

If you really are an editor as you inferred in your post above, kudos to you. Further congratulations if you aren't corrupt, you are one of the few. But frankly I don't believe you are, nor do I really give a damn.

The OP asked if there was a way to contact dmoz editors. So why don't you talk to him instead of bitching at me because you don't like the fact that I think DMOZ is just a pile of corruption.

9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL...you changed the subject, not me :)

You said
    I replied
    Then you started the usual dmoz is corrupt and posting links etc.

Anyways...enough said :)

snooks, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  10. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    That's statement it's totally false and inaccurate ! When you guys will stop with that deceptive advertising ? Or what need , how much will take just to stop that false claims ? THE EDITORIAL APPLICATIONS ARE COMPLETELY JOKES. It's not need to quote myself from other posts , just go and read them . There are proofs with time frames of the emails / headers of the emails and so on posted on this forum if they wasn't deleted yet - I can re-post if is really need . When this deceptive advertising will stop ?

Aol bough netscape ... when they wanted to jump into browser marketplace , at the package with netscape they got the dmoz too ... If you wanted to know who's the legal owner of the domain ... Unfortunately aol have no reason and most probably no resources / expertize to '' exploit '' at maximum the potential of dmoz ... and they let the directory in hand of bunch of editors , like humans they are ... you see what happens during the years ...

My honest advice , it's to not bother anyhow to get some answers , this guys defend themselves and have loads of contacts on different forums , they practically censor loads of forums ( myself got infractions and a temporary ban here before ... ) . They are keep lie and keep advertise the directory even if hundreds of peoples trying to '' ask unwanted questions '' ....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    trustnobodynever, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please dont post them again, i beg you :) LOL They are such unintelligble dribble that people reading the threads will get totally confused. They are just so hard to understand.

Of course dmoz wants new editors and just because you were not accepted, dosent mean we dont need anymore. Its just that for whatever reason you were declined, since then, many, many editors have been accepted. You just need to accept that for some reason you were unsuitable but that other applicants proved capable of learning how to edit, hence they were accepted.

Sorry, its just a fact of life :)

snooks, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  12. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    jeeeeeeeez , dude you are amazing I swear . First of all , few weeks ago Jim said on public here are just few hundreds of editors the number form footer of the directory it's just the number of total editors who was there since the directory born . WTF anyone can prove within 4 text area of '' self describing ''?

Yeah the '' honestly '' and '' integrity '' , now come the '' capable of learning how to edit '' , so HOW's come this editors , who are passing this filters , still adding spam links witch aren't follow the guidelines ?

Let's admit even a second this editorial application are taken seriously and they aren't just a pathetic joke of yours , how on the name of god after passing this filter such links come up into dmoz ? Yes .... we will come at the last excuse '' human error '' witch practically close an logic circle of questions . Everyone will be happy and no more questions / answers need to be . DO you guys still consider those peoples who post on this forum just plain-stupid ? ... other explanation can be ...

Peoples get confused from answers like two posts ago I saw pointed by Jim on other thread from RZ forums ( the pvgool post ) , peoples get confused when they are reading first time on their life about such '' perfect '' guidelines and rules public made , and they are browsing half a hour the directory they will see hundreds of deadlinks / spam links ; THAT CAN BE '' confusing '' .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No I didn't. Please stop making things up to suit your case.

I've said several times that there are a couple of hundred editors who can edit in all categories - not the same thing at all.

jimnoble, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  14. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah! ... never :) I have enough free time , and I can afford to spend few minutes stressing this friends ... :) ... they are feeling '' under attack '' , and I love this feeling I feel their fair ! ... Within the years maybe more peoples who see those lies will join the club and we will have really some fun with this liars.

15. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Shoemoney made all that up as nothing more than a link bait scheme. Many fell for it, including you. It is a really good example of how to link bait. Just lie (he has been found out) and the fools who want to believe will link to you!

Agent000, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  16. donluttrull

donluttrull Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried applying for various section over the years and never got anywhere with it. I think they need to better mod the sites that are allowed by those who actually are within the categories niche and industries.

I however dig dmoz... sweet direct.

donluttrull, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  17. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Post proof that he made it up.

Christian Little, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    You just want to believe don't you? Read it on his site!

19. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    You show me the exact page on his site where he admits it was a scam. I don't recall reading that before.

Christian Little, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  20. Agent000

Best Answers:
    He never used the word 'scam'. Just go and read all the posts. Are you so blinded by the "I want to believe"