1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I become an editor of DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by yurykas, Nov 27, 2009.

Can I become an editor of DMOZ and submit my site by myself?

yurykas, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can try

Agent000, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  3. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you may but you will have to pass a review process. However, submitting your site to the ODP should not be your reason for becoming an editor. Ever wanted to "volunteer" for a good cause? :)

alistair80, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  4. yurykas

yurykas Peon

Best Answers:
    What is a review process?

yurykas, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  5. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have a look at this :)

alistair80, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A few tips

If you get rejected, as many are first or more times, please don't give up (unless they tell you in feedback not to apply again!). The main items to give attention to:
    Be honest, about any affiliations that you have to other sites.
    We don't mind you offering your own site in the application form, but don't offer three of your own, find a competitors site and make sure the sites are unique content. Think carefully about what you are going to say for the reason you want to join. A sure fire way to fail is if you imply that you want to list your own site and then leave.
    Read the guidelines pointed to in alistair80's post, editors are no good if they can't read and follow the guidelines, so this is looked at carefully.
    The title of the site is the one on site or the name of the business, have a look at the titles in the category you are applying to edit, look too at the descriptions and usually they will show you how not to fill the description you offer with hype or key words.
    Make sure that the sample sites you offer really do fit the category that you are applying to edit.
    Apply for a category with about 30-80 sites listed, including any sub categories.
    Consider applying for a locality in regional section, say your home town, find some sites that are not listed there. When you have learnt the ropes about editing you will be able to offer for other categories including, perhaps, the one your site will then fit best.

Anonymously, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  7. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    of course anonymously didn't mention (*yet ) , you have to show them somehow you can list spam links similar like they are listing here , and you need to figure a way how to deal with automatically emails sent by them telling you nothing actually . At the editorial application they will send you first time after filling the form one link to confirm the email , then few minutes later will get a second email like an auto-responder do , telling you are rejected . Yeah I`ve try twice ;) so yeah I`m speaking here from personal experience lol .

trustnobodynever, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Then our Metas doing their routine checks on Editor Applications are obviously maintaing our high standard for the applications. The most important thing is honesty and disclosure of all sites that you are affilliated with, but unfortunately, it appears that some applicants find this very hard.

Given that you were rejected and many have been approved recently, they are obviously weeding out the "bad apples". I must send an email and congratulate them on a job well done :)

snooks, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of the important things that metas look for, and I am not one, is that a person can spell and have good grammar skills. Sorry to sat TNN but if you apply to an English category and not to one in your native tongue, and you write as you do on this forum, I am sure you will be rejected.

Why did you want to join something that you hate so much and believe is only deadlinks and spam?

Oh perhaps you hate it so much and think it is full of deadlinks and spam because you were rejected to join.

Anonymously, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  10. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    oh no no :) ... the editorial application was made just because I was curious , nothing more and nothing less ! It's true english is not my native language , but since you and others understand what I`m trying to say ... anyway ... before to submit my application second time I`ve asked one of girls (from my ymsg list) born and raised on london lol to review it for grammar ... . So I can put my hands on fire that application was perfectly written with no errors at all . Anyway ... Reason for the editorial application was just to see with my eyes if what you guys claim it's true or not ... lucky me I got exactly same email within a difference of 2 minutes between original application and second one ...

And just to note folks ! I`m not hate you or anyone else .... It's true I`m not accept your lies about the following the guidelines and other '' advertising '' texts what you have and had during the years ... But that's not mean I hate someone particularly ... Let's say it's something similar with what snooks said up about the '' bad apples '' , Idea and the principles what was at the base of the directory are good and respectfully , how they was used and what become that .... it's not acceptable at least not by me . The mess from the directory it's just because most probably one incompetent '' genie '' take wrong decisions , not at small editorial privileges , at the top of chain of command ;) and I`m pretty sure here it's some hierarchy between the editors ... I can bet there are some good peoples , decent and honest editors , but ... one or two or ten of them can't make enough good things when compare what mess can do someone with bad intentions and higher privileges ;) .....

Short-long story , WHEN I applied for editorial team I was done it just to see if it's true or not ... the editorial application it's just a pure joke , and it's nothing real , most probably never was , it's just giving out an declined answer to the peoples , when they are apply , with same damn text , withing same time frame , most probably it's just one auto/vacancy type email , hardly to think those applications are really read by anyone human .

nb. It's possible now (* actually after I`ve said what I said months ago ) , this time frames and auto emails to be changed ! I didn't found any reference about this type of proofs before when I wrote first time about them , not on this forum and not on RZ forum too . Maybe peoples didn't think before about this ... who knows .

nb2. I hate lies what peoples say ( * or said before ) , but never under any circumstances I didn't hate the peoples / persons who do this . It's a matter of principle .

nb3 . When I've said about spam and dead links and other type of links what was listed or are still listed on the directory , I didn't accused anyone , just because like an average user I can't see the '' genie '' who added this links there , nor I can't know the '' genie '' who added editorial privileges to first one . HERE it's the problem , what need to be fixed . And we ( me / you ... others ... ) can't fix that , even if we maybe wish ... nothing can be done because with sure someone have other interests to keep things like they are ...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
    trustnobodynever, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not that that was cheating or anything :mad:. The whole point of the application is so that we can determine whether or not a candidate has the skills and integrity to become an editor. It would seem that your girl hasn't either.

jimnoble, Nov 28, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  12. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    And you knew that before I`ve said it on public ?:) Let's be serious ... cheating it's what you and others do ... keep claiming things what wasn't true , keep giving to this peoples false hopes . You or anyone never had to know by any chance both of my application's was filled by me , at the time of submitting , nor they wasn't made by same computer / same network ! Second application I`ve asked that girl to double check it for grammar errors just because at one of the posts months ago my grammar skills was bring into the discussion . What was the result from both ? Well ... same type of auto emails (* not type of email identical emails .... ) send at similar time frames .

And please ... please on the name of god don't come with such thing like '' skills '' what's needed to become an editor , whois my user name and locate please last ''example of spam '' what I`ve said some posts ago , the slashdot story about one of not existent domains witch is obviously JUST SPAM . WHAT SKILLS had this editor who added it ? then what skills had the meta who added it .

More .. what you can see from that form ? you have 4 squares what need to be filled on that application , and first of it it's the joke '' What is your Internet experience? '' WHAT experience said the editor who added the slashdot story on hes application ? Oh let's remember few months back , the genie who added the parked domain here ... I`m extremely curious and I can bet other peoples from here will be also .

The editorial application , it's just a joke , you can't see nothing about my skills , about my honestly or integrity ! WE can see the spam links what others who can pass by any chance that editorial filter ...

nb. I know you or anyone else will come with the perfect excuse for this '' human error ''

trustnobodynever, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So a parked domain is listed? Dont you think its possible that the domain was active, compliant and listed and then it went parked? The editor didnt list like that, it changed and has not yet been detected.

Many of the spam sites.....dont you think that they were compliant and very good sites, but for whatever reason, they changed, but have not as yet been detected? Is that not possible?

You really need to sit back and think...why on earth would an editor list something like that? Please....just think because deep down im sure that you can see that every bad link in dmoz is not editorial fault, editorial corruption etc. We are dealing with MILLIONS of sites....thats right, MILLIONs and we are volunteers doing this in our spare time, as a hobby. We only have so much time you know!

snooks, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  14. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:

Well .. when I reported it months ago , I didn't had the inspiration to check . But ... when I got some answers on RZ forum ... I checked .
    1. the parked domain witch I`m talking about ( * was removed from the directory months ago ) reported by me ... was alive 2 months , using a free script ( * know as bogus and exploitable ) this script it's public free to use , but it's used by some guys to provide some '' seo services '' .

2. After I`ve had few hundreds of reply like yours before ... I started to check the domains witch I point out on public , for example the slashdot story couple of weeks back I think last time posted . No ... all the links what about I`m saying there - most of them I didn't said on public the names nor location on the directory - aren't changed since years , and always they was like they are . Nothing chanced since they was created , maybe on some cases the design changes , remember ... you guys can edit the directory and sometime you can clean some of traces / delete listings but you guys can't edit public whois records & webarchive :cool:

3. Answer at 3'th paragraph is : INCOMPETENCE . Plain and simple incompetence maybe corruption , not only from the editor who add such links , from the one's who add this editors . The directory was supposed to be '' for peoples '' unfortunately during the years become just '' for some peoples '' . I`ve said before and I`ll say once more now , the public principles and guidelines are good and are made like '' perfect '' , BUT they aren't followed by some of the peoples who was supposed to follow them .

15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @trustnobody

I really am trying to get you to understand the logistics of monitoring and working with millions of sites, the huge amount of volunteer time involved, but, im afraid we cant agree.

This was and never was, nor will be, the case. It is simply a directory run by volunteers, as a HOBBIE, it is and never was "for the people".

I will just leave it at that...We can agree to disagree...Cheers.

snooks, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  16. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you take the time to read enough in this very forum you will learn that getting listed in DMOZ by suggesting your site is almost impossible. That there is many people willing to pay for getting their sites listed. And another bunch of people wanting to become editor to list their sites.
    Current editors and metas have a business to protect. They won't leave you in so easily. They have to check whether you will be threatening their interests. If they find you innocuous or you have a friend already inside you have chances of becoming editor. If you don't, they will reject your application with fake excuses. Most probably they will tell you didn't disclosed all the sites you are related to. You will apply again, and again. After three or four applications you will get an email telling you stop applying for editor in the future. :)

caprichoso, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. :D:D

You are killing me with laughter, you being editor and then talking about that it needs skills and specially INTEGRITY. Do you mind telling everyone here again about how you tried to cheat this forum and it's users through opening multiple accounts? :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  18. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    It's no need of such , some of us with more than 2 cell brains know about this , INTEGRITY what's called about some of this peoples it's just a mirage ...

19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Its VERY VERY sad that you, or any editor actually believes that. It says A LOT about why the ODP has toppled, and is no longer what it used to be... then again, maybe it's not changed, Skrenta, one of the founders does have nearly 20k deep links to an affiliated site. So I guess if a hobbie is listing one's own sites multiple times then I guess ya got that dead on.

It was NOT founded as a "hobby for volunteers" though...it was founded as a DIRECTORY...but since then, the Volunteer hobbiests have changed the definition of that.

Qryztufre, Dec 1, 2009 IP