1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by abstroose, Nov 27, 2009.

Many of us spend so much of our lives wishing our time away. Wishing that time would pass, or a certain day would arrive.

It's quite frequently mentioned in philosophy and metaphysics that time is but an illusion. Obviously, this is quite a hard idea to grasp. The foundation of this third dimension that we accept as reality is in fact time and space. We don't have the level of consciousness to comprehend a time-less dimension.

I remember, throughout my childhood, several occasions which stick with me and have become of great significance. When I was younger, I would travel in the car with my parents to see family. The journey was about three/four hours and I'd get so bored on the way. One day, when we began the journey I realised something -

No matter what I do, what I think.. No matter how I occupy myself, or how bored I get - I'm going to reach my destination. Even if it feels like forever, I am powerless. I have no control over time, and before I know it I'm going to be there.

I first realised this when I was about eight. I remember it being a long, boring drive. But ultimately, and inevitably, reaching my destination. I was proud that my theory was true, and the time which felt like it passed slowly, did in fact flash by. Obviously, there was nothing significant about this - or so I thought. I think that moment of clarity cursed me.

Before I knew it, the weekend was up and I was returning home. After the journey back, I got home and realised how quick that weekend had gone. I thought to myself, "Wow.. it only seems like a second ago that I was wishing the journey would speed up. And now, I've already been there and got home".

Now, twelve years later, and I still get that same feeling. Several times in my childhood I wished that time would hurry up. Each time, I set a milestone that will remain with me. It reminds me of how fast time passes. Or maybe it reminds me that time is an illusion.

I'm beginning to comprehend the idea after all. There is no record of time. No linear recollection, no record, no manifestation of past. Nothing, nada. All there is, is quantum leaps from memories. There is no difference in remembering the time I wished my journey would hasten now, to eight years ago. There is nothing between those years that defines the time, or gap. It's just a quantum leap from one memory to the present time.

Yesterday is no different from last week, or last year.

Don't worry about the past because it's gone, and don't worry about the future because we haven't created it yet. Spend your time wisely, and enjoy the present moment - because before you know it, another ten years are going to have slipped past you.

http://www.abstroose.com/forum/world-culture-philosophy/1950-time.html

abstroose, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  2. Hasitha

Hasitha Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm..Yes...

Hasitha, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  3. smile633

smile633 Peon

Best Answers:
    Make your life count - not just go by. Carpe diem! Seize the day! There is lots you can do on a "boring 3-4 hour trip" - at least now as a grown-up. Listen to a great speaker or uplifting music or invite good company to talk with or think about a problem and how to solve it or ... Time is very precious! You will run out of it eventually! So make it count! Use it to your joy and benefit!

smile633, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  4. InterMar

InterMar Peon

Best Answers:
    Great posting, I'd like to quote a few wise people here;
    1."Procrastination is the thief of time" > Edward Young Night Thoughts 1742-1746
    2."I recommend you to take care of the minutes, for hours will take care of themselves"
    Philip Dormer Stanhope - 4th Earl of Chesterfield Letters to His Son
    3."Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once" > Anon
    4. "Potius sero quad numquam" (Better late than never)
    Titus Livius (Prologue to History, Book IV sec)

InterMar, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  5. bodzila

bodzila Peon

Best Answers:
    Nicely explained... I think you can put this as a ebook and sell it....

bodzila, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  6. COOLORANGEFREEZE

COOLORANGEFREEZE Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why put off to tomorrow when you can do it today... (or something like that)

COOLORANGEFREEZE, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  7. abstroose

abstroose Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing those quotes.

And about selling it in an eBook.. lol. I don't believe in selling philosophy.

abstroose, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  8. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are in deep space and there is no rotating planet or sun nearby, is there such a thing as time?

Going Green, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  9. zenoTom

zenoTom Peon

Best Answers:
    Just accept whatever it comes on your way. My policy is always 'Take life as it comes'.

zenoTom, Dec 3, 2009 IP