1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Webnapster.com Is Giving My Software Away Free

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by biztechz, Nov 26, 2009.

I spent over $8000 and got a software developed for me which i sell for $89 and not even 4 months after its launching i realized its being given free of charge at www.WebNapster.com .Apparently they charge people i think $9 to access so they are making money off of my product.

The problem is the company does not host the files on its servers and it uploads all files at megaupload and some file uploading website.

How can i go for this guys legally?

biztechz, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  2. Law-Dude

Law-Dude Active Member

Best Answers:
    Their Whois results seem to indicate that they have done a good job of hiding their identity. Is the software of any large companies being linked to by this site, for example, Microsoft or Apple's software? If so, report the exact details of the piracy to those companies, and let their much larger legal team take care of the pirates for free. ;)

Also, you can report copyright infringement to Megaupload. The form to do so can be found here: http://www.megaupload.com/?c=abuse

Law-Dude, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  3. biztechz

biztechz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think they have companies like microsoft .They are more about big internet marketing softwares and those money making tutorial ebooks and stuff like that.

4. GULLIVER

GULLIVER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the only thing you can/should do!

GULLIVER, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  5. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Get a lawyer. Seriously. You can write them and ask them to cease and desist, but a letterhead from a law firm (mailed direct) makes a much better impression. And if you were smart and got a patent, then recovering the money is a matter of getting another lawyer. Have fun with that.

BadBoyzStudioZ, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  6. biztechz

biztechz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes,i've tried megaupload and apparently when they get removed they get back up with new link.I wonder how they find out about dead links.

I want to make sure i can really go after this guys before wasting money getting a lawyer.I am already hurting since am yet to make my software investment back.

7. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck. Once your code is in the wild it is there forever. Somebody else will simply rename it and throw it up on any one of thousands of download pirate sites. It's the way of the world my friend.

Next time make your software server reliant. That means they have to use it on a server (yours) and they have to have a pass code that you can reject if it is pirated. That is the only way to protect a software product these days. It works well too. Most programmers are going that route.

It doesn't matter how good your "protection" is, a hacker will figure it out.

Sorry you got screwed, but you have not lost. You know what to do in the future.

Education is never cheap. Whether you go to university or the school of hard knocks, makes no difference, it always will cost you something.

GULLIVER likes this.
  8. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    welcome to the world software piracy , nothing is going to come off anything, by now it will be all over the internet.

if MS or RS do delete a link 100 others will pop up, if uploaders rename the file and pass protect it in rar then RS and MU can't even delete . microsoft can't even stop their products esp the big leak of COFEE i really don't think they can help.

next time do as BadBoyzStudioZ has suggested .

allthatjazz, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  9. biztechz

biztechz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, looks like thats my next step.Upgrading the software so license can only be checked on my server.

Cheers

10. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad that makes sense to you. Sorry about your other issues, but you will do well. Keep writing great code and keep it server-side and you should do fine.

I know about these things 'cause I'm a "Bad Boy" ;)

11. FCM

FCM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Once something is pirated it is extremely hard to stop it. Especially if it is own more than one file share program or host. It wouldn't surprise me if your software wasn't on rapidshare as well and being spread by torrents, and other ways. The best thing to do in this situation is to keep looking for your software and then pull it off by contacting the file host. If you can prove that you are the copyright holder they will remove the software for you.

FCM, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  12. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is the deal... Once it's out there, it's out there. You will never recover it or get it to stop being shared. We have developed an anti-piracy technology that is guaranteed to stop file sharing, but you probably can't afford it right now. Sony and Disney are entertaining the idea of using it, that would be phase one. After that I know I can arrange singular licensing for it, but we need that first ink to dry on the contract before we start selling licenses to smaller programming companies.

I already worked out the basics for the singular licenses, but these big contracts will speed up development so we can afford to license programmers like you. I didn't mention that earlier because I can't offer it to you right now. But it will hunt down and track shared software/media and flag pirates like pedophiles on the Internet. It's harsh, but people are losing their ass on music/movies and software. It must be done!

And this poor developer is a prime example of the problem. Works his or (her) heart out designing and developing something that could feed his family and pay his mortgage, then some idiot comes along and gives it away for free.

Pirates beware. I know you all think you're cute now, but your days are numbered!

13. psychost

psychost Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly I doubt that'll stop it.... They just need someone to crack it maybe use a hex editor..

I mean you can only activate windows with microsoft either by phone or online and they still manage to crack that. Same with steam and they only work online.

Not to mention peple will see this thread in google now and even more people know your software is out there... I think your screwed.

psychost, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  14. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Peon

Best Answers:
    File a DMCA complaint against the file hosters and not the websites linking them as the file hosting companies are most likely run by mature adults unlike said other website.

Brandon_R, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  15. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    lol this actually made me laugh:p hope you take the points am going to put up now in a all fun way:p

you have just underlined the root cause of file sharing and i refuse to call it piracy now you have developed something which is going to stop it and you want to get paid for it:D and here is the difference between you and file shares ,

1st they develop a technology or advance a exiting one they don't want to get paid the dev of bit torrent could have made millions but he made it free sourced btw all BIG companies use the technology. CNN even uses it to stream live feed what ppl do with it is up to them.

2nd you can never stop it cause they are 2 steps ahead of you all the time , bigger and better have tried and all have failed. the MAFFIAA is still trying to understand of bit torrent works and look at TPB they have taken it took to next step with DHT ,PEX and magent links , good luck trying to figure that out:p look at how DRM back slapped on all , lol MS keeps coming out with wave 4 , wave 5 for xbox all cracked within hours.

i am all for file sharing BUT without making any profit from it , and definitely not at cost inde dev's and artists like the OP. INDE dev's and artists have to be supported at all cost but not the fat stinking guy sitting in some penth house telling me how to use the internet. that is not going to happen.

let the studios , labels, and crops realize that make things cheaper , change their business module and file sharing will die on it's own otherwise it willl always be there in one form or other.

iam all in support of OP he is a dev and the site that ripped him is profiting off his work and that should be stopped. but even having server hex protected software is not going to work , as some above pointed windows gets done in every day , like norton , nod and i can name a dozen. but in OP's case it will help cause he is a small dev and 90% of general public would not be interested in his software.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    allthatjazz, Nov 27, 2009 IP