1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photoshop vs GIMP

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by teohcl, Nov 17, 2009.

Any here using GIMP and photoshop before? If yes, please let me know whether is OK to use GIMP? As you know, photoshop need money to buy where the price is expensive too. I was thinking, if GIMP got the same functions with photoshop, I want to give a try. Any comments?

teohcl, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  2. Photoshop_Designer

Photoshop_Designer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is better without a doubt but GIMP has to be the second best to photoshop, but like you said GIMP is free, if you are intending to learn photoshop i wouldnt start off with GIMP i would just simply wait until you can get Ps to save you from getting confused.

Photoshop_Designer, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  3. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    gimp comes with ubuntu and other distros. so if you are using linux gimp is already there to use

indyguidedotinfo, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  4. The_Hermit_1971

The_Hermit_1971 Member

Best Answers:
    You should also try Adobe Photoshop Elements or Jasc Pain Shop Pro, those are way cheaper than Photoshop.

The_Hermit_1971, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  5. cheesy

cheesy Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used both and i much prefer Photoshop, but like you said it can cost a bit (legit)
    Gimp is a great alternative, you can do most thigns photoshop can do in gimp, the only problem is if you are using gimp to sell your designs you cannot supply the buyer with the psd file which can be very useful. But if your using it for your own use, try it out, its the best alternative.

cheesy, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  6. 8th wonder

8th wonder Peon

Best Answers:
    I used GIMP.. But i always prefer photoshop......

8th wonder, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  7. I'mOnline

I'mOnline Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i used the both and PS is always better for me

I'mOnline, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  8. Networxnz

Networxnz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used both Adobe Photoshop and Gimp too. Both programs provide a strong set of basic photo editing commands and tools. Additionally, both are capable of using vector drawn paths and shapes; however these are used principally in layers to enhance the underlying bitmap image.

But of course Adobe Photoshop is the best!

Networxnz, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  9. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Adobe Photoshop any day because im too used to i t, and nothing feels better than working on PS, On the other side Gimp is a good alternative too if you dont want to spend money on Photoshop.

Oranges, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  10. Live4Mods

Live4Mods Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer photoshop. :)

Live4Mods, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  11. Networxnz

Networxnz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Adobe Photoshop + Creative Mind = Best Results.

I do believe that’s the basic equation.

You may add or edit the equation if you want too.

Gimp is also a great program.

Networxnz, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  12. ehstudios

ehstudios Peon

Best Answers:
    Although very similar on the surface, from my experience, I have found that these two applications seem to be made for different things. If you have the money and/or resources, I would strongly recommend Photoshop CS4 but if you don't have finances for it then Gimp could be a great alternative depending on the work you do and/or want to do. Photoshop is designed for graphic work as a whole (web AND print), whereas Gimp seems to be mainly targeted toward web work. Last time that I checked, Gimp does not natively include a CMYK color mode like Photoshop but can be hacked to accomplish something similar (although not recommended for legitimate professional production work due to possible incompatibility issues so I have been told). One thing I found to be very interesting about Gimp is the amount of files formats that it allows you to save as... Including .PSD(Photoshop)!

ehstudios, Dec 9, 2009 IP
  13. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ehh, I wouldn't say that GIMP is second best to photoshop... Adobe Illustrator runs second in my book, then Fireworks, Gimp, Paintshop, then other small programs here and there.

But for the initial question, no GIMP doesn't have nearly all the functions that Photoshop has, but it has enough functions to work well. I'm not a big fan of GIMP, but that's mainly because i've never sat down with it long enough to learn now to use it sufficiently.

I'll always be an Adobe guy, using photoshop and illustrator until they finally realize they need to combine the two, but GIMP will always be the best FREE image designing/editing software in my book.

Piggy, Dec 10, 2009 IP
  14. lunarleviathan

lunarleviathan Peon

Best Answers:
    GIMP is equal in any practical sense to Photoshop when it comes to graphics that are only for screen. Photoshop obviously wins for print.

I used Photoshop for about 5 years and switched to using GIMP this year. Why? Because I like open source software and I wanted to see if Photoshop really was worth it. My conclusion was that Photoshop is a little nicer, but I have yet to encounter any limitation in GIMP that would be easier in Photoshop. Of course, I am not doing any graphics for print, in which case I would pretty much have to use Photoshop.

I also switched from Illustrator to Inkscape, which I found to be a little buggy but ultimately a more intuitive program.

lunarleviathan, Dec 10, 2009 IP
  15. BoGFx

BoGFx Active Member

Best Answers:
    GIMP by far.

BoGFx, Dec 10, 2009 IP
  16. esspro

esspro Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop By far....its way more easier to understand and use

esspro, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  17. Akirakei

Akirakei Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop has more functions than GIMP does.If you're not planning on doing dramatic changes to pictures, just want to sketch/colour - GIMP is more than enough.I'd say GIMP - best free and PS - best 'pay to use' picture editors.Start with GIMP, learn basics and then if you're not satisfied with functions GIMP offers or need more of them - change to PS.For me PS is way better cuz it has more user friendly interface, more functions and with all those "special effects" you can create amazing things that you cannot do with GIMP.Paid for PS.It was worth it.

Akirakei, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  18. James Caan

James Caan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used, GIMP, paint.net and photoshop before. I will say photoshop is best but that is only because they have got the money to send on resources and time. I will also state that in my experience GIMP is the equivalent to photoshop CS1, maybe even CS2 edition.

GIMP combined with Paint.net will come close to photoshop CS3 in my mind.

Hope you gained your answers. GIMP is also a good program and very good as freeware.

James Caan, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  19. Networxnz

Networxnz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I definitely agree with this. Don't worry about the price for it is worth it.

Networxnz, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  20. mas yosh

mas yosh Peon

Best Answers:
    photosop is the best

its best stuff for design, .. . no doubt

mas yosh, Jan 25, 2010 IP