1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my web design business site - kayarc.com

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Kayarc, Nov 24, 2009.

Hello all,

I am looking for any and all feedback regarding http://www.kayarc.com/ - the homepage for my web design business

Usability / Look & Feel / Effectiveness / Call-to-Action / Choice in content / Verbiage - critique it all please!

Thanks in advance!

Kayarc, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  2. frenchmen77

frenchmen77 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is something about the big yellow arrows at the top that doesn't really do it for me.

That said, I like it. How long did you spend on it?

frenchmen77, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  3. Kayarc

Kayarc Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks. I spent about a day in Photoshop and then another day or two with CSS/HTML and Javascripting and adding content etc

Kayarc, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  4. frenchmen77

frenchmen77 Peon

Best Answers:
    do you use dreamweaver? or.. ¿?

frenchmen77, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  5. Kayarc

Kayarc Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to use dreamweaver a couple years ago.. now I just use Notepad++ and slice it all up manually... does anyone use anything different that might be faster?

Kayarc, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  6. Networxnz

Networxnz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the design of your homepage. It looks very powerful. Only that perhaps we have different taste when it comes to colors. More power to your business.

Networxnz, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, when I first load your page in my browser of choice (Opera) at my preferred system metric (large fonts/120dpi/125%win7) your layout is broken. The cause is the same one that breaks many layouts of this nature - you have declared fixed px height containers for damned near everything, with dynamic fonts - so when the system metric goes up, the fonts get bigger but their boxes do not... which is why the 'site and business GREAT' is overlapping the 'web' header below it, and all three of those bottom columns are overlapped by the footer.

When it does render right (firefux) I can't say I'm wild about those offset headers, Their being isographically offset gives the optical illusion they are at different angles, I would seriously look at making the left side ones go the opposite direction, not the same, or reducing their angle from 1:1 to 2:1

Apart from the broken layout issues, the biggest problem I'm seeing before looking under the hood is a complete lack of images off graceful degradation. You've got no image replacement techniques, meaning all your headings (which are missed SEO opportunites) just dissapear.

Under the hood we see the typical jquery/superfish asshattery, and for what, a quarter second goofy animation so you can use javascript to do CSS' job on the menu? A simple image rotator that shouldn't take more than 6k of javascript but thanks to the stupid libraries you are burning 91k on? /FAIL/ hard before we even get out of the HEAD. No media types on the included CSS, no keywords or description meta's, endless nested unnneccessary DIV and classes, presentational CSS inlined in the markup, presentational images inlined in the markup, redundant/pointless classes (Or as I've taken to calling it "Not every ejaculation deserves a name"), float clearing nonsense when you have MORE than enough DIV containers to handle self-wrapping, and a complete lack of semantic markup. The 'problem' is evident in the 10k of markup for a mere 1.5k of actual content and eight static images, easily DOUBLE what is needed for your current level of functionality.

Oh, and if you are going to have that type of bloated nonsense, you may want to turn gzip compression on for the server.

The images for static text and lack of heading tags is the biggest no-no in the markup, and means you are missing many not just ranking/SEO opportunities, but have little to no accessibility. You should probably go and read both WCAG 1.0 and 2.0, and learn what semantic markup and separation of presentation from content are.

I also agree with frenchmen77 on the menu images, and I know WHY I agree, they look blurry. Sharpen those up a bit and get rid of the 'muddy' shading inside the arrows.

In other words, needs a lot of work - I'm really hoping this isn't typical of what you deliver to your clients, but knowing the Internet...

deathshadow, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  8. Kayarc

Kayarc Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you for the feedback.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Kayarc, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  9. walterwachs

walterwachs Peon

Best Answers:
    Great site and it's simple to navigate. The only thing I would add is benifits for your targeted customers. What are their problems and what is your solution to that problem. Make that stand out and they will look at your content. Great job and keep going.

walterwachs, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  10. walterwachs

walterwachs Peon

Best Answers:
    I realy respect your opinion, but when you give that much advice all at once it defeats the purpose of trying to help. It's a great ego booster for ones image. Don't take it personaly but not everyone is a mechanic and can build a motor from scatch. There has to be an art for teaching that gets across to your audience. Your knowledge is not lost with myself and you are obviously good at what you do. But people need simplicity or they will not hear what you are saying.

walterwachs, Jul 12, 2010 IP