1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

June 27th revisited

Discussion in 'Google' started by MikeSwede, Jul 16, 2006.

1. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:

try living in the lake district national park my friend... hence my avatar

I didn't assume someone would take what i said so literally, oh well
    If you had bothered to look at my site you would see the site is fully whitehat seo site.
    The reason I commented is the fact it was doing well then mysteriously for no reason I can fathom it isn't , so genius take a look by all mean.

Did I ever mention I was reliant on that site, its a little extra change, so no im not following in your proverbs.
    Why would I want to spend out on somthing that should do well naturally and has no dependency for me.

mobilebay, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  2. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Mobile

Actually it is not so much you in particular any of this was meant for but it was meant in reference to "faith in google" comment.

There are many others who have the "faith in google" part built into their systems, which in the long run leads to more harm than good.

As for your site....not sure which of them you meant, again the subject was on the faith thing.

And as for going out in my car into the mountains that was in reference to Christopher trying to tell me to get a life....

Now to the real meat & potatoes

Well lets see....

1 Free results do not drive buy minded traffic

2 Online drives offline sales, so with #1 above it is logic that those offline sales were done by "buy minded paid ad clickers".

3 It has been shown repeatedly that those who want to make a direct purchase will click paid ads.

There are enough reasons for most business people.

keyword 'business people'

Hope this helps

Sem-Advance, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Ohh and mobile as for why your site is having problems

<title>Mobile-Heaven.com - Mobile Heaven - The UK's coolest mobiles and mobile accessories, hottest mobiles, all tariffs, mobile ringtones, reviews and news - showcasing T Mobile Sidekick</title>
    <meta name="keywords" content="mobile phones, free us sms, free us sms texting, free us sms texts, text sms free us, free us text messaging, us sms text free, free us texts, free us sms text messaging, free us messaging, messaging us free, samsung d600, free sms canada, canada free sms, motorola v3 mobile phones, samsung e720, sony ericsson k750i, mobile fones, uk mobile phones, free mobile phones, mobilebay, mobile bay, cheap mobile phones, free uk mobile phones, free ipod, ipod mobile free, mobile phone free ipod, t mobile mobile phones, siemens mobile phones, mobile phones, cellular accessories, 3g mobile phones, samsung mobile phones, nokia mobile phones, nokia n90, nokia n70, motorla rokr orange mobile phones, motorola mobile phones, t mobile sidekick">

<meta name="description" content="Mobile Heaven - The UK's coolest mobiles, free sms texts, mobile accessories, hottest mobiles, all tariffs, mobile ringtones, reviews and news - showcasing T Mobile Sidekick - www.mobile-heaven.com">
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

Several people in the SEO industry would call your head tags

SPAM

Want to retract that statement??? LOL

4. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Guys,
    BE NICE!! There is not reason to point fingers! We should all try to help each other if we can. If we see a problem, send a private email instead of shouting it out. Tell people what to change and be nice about it.
    There are too many messageboards out there with nasty comments and after a while people stop posting and go somewhere else where they can actually get some help from fellow web site owners. We don't want this to happen to this forum, do we?

MikeSwede, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  5. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hey Mike

I agree with you but I am being nice...

I feel I am making an effort to help..

Perhaps my tact is not the best but I don't claim to be more than a human...which makes mistakes..

Mobile stated his site is whitehat SEO'd and he may have very well thought that true to his core...

However his head tags are spammed out...

As such he and other readers may not see the head tags look spammy... and in order to help the masses, I brought his issue to light here...

as for the little jab about retraction.. it is meant in lite hearted fare and nothing more....

6. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    meta data is not spam mate, spam is kw stuffing not having relevant info, etc, how you define spam is upto you, however spam seems to be the way to go thanks to the 3 billion page issue.

It however comes to my atttention that a percentage of web designer will use meta data relevant e.g. how you can manage to sum my meta data up as spam , well...

Kindly explain to me what you would class as white hat meta please, I'm sure there is a few people who would benefit from your enlightenment.

Also no matter how much so caLLED meta spam is there , the penalty would not reflect 2500 pages dropping and 3 pages indexed and supplemental, however still appearing on all dc' s... wouldn't you agree

MySpace Codes, MySpace Editors, MySpace Layouts, MySpace Codes, MySpace Generators, MySpace Graphics, MySpace Contact Box, MySpace Online Now, MySpace Comment Box, MySpace overlapping text, MySpace Falling Objects, MySpace Navigation Bar, MySpace Whore me, MySpace Extended Network, MySpace Friends List,MySpace Image Codes, MySpace Hover Codes, MySpace Marquee Codes, MySpace Tutorials, hmmmmmm what were you saying ??? ;)

7. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hi Mobile

Actually keyword stuffing in your head tags was the original form of spamming that was done and it is in large part why the "meta "keyword" tag is no longer recognized.

Your title tag should be 9 to 12 words with no word repeated more than once. Some will say you can use up to 86 characters.

Meta description should be limited to 12 to 24 words or 155 characters. Repeat main keyword term here once max... but a better alternative is to find a similar word for example: New Cars Used Automobile Sales or such.

Meta keyword tag: not recognized by most engines but Yahoo will use it to match to page content to fight spamming.

24 to 48 words or 255 characters, here again you want to go light on repeating the term more than once.

If I were to redo yours

<title>Mobile Phones Accessories Tariffs Information Ringtones Reviews News T-Mobile Sidekick Mobile-Heaven.com</title>
    <meta name="description" content="Offers UK Mobile Phones SMS Texts Accessories Tariffs Ringtones Reviews News T-Mobile Sidekick Visit and Buy Today Mobile-Heaven.com">
    <meta name="keywords" content="mobile phones, free us sms, uk, text messaging, samsung d600, samsung e720, sony ericsson k750i, ipod, t mobile, siemens, cellular accessories, 3g, nokia, n70, rokr, razor, sidekick, motorola v3 mobile phone">

It should be noted I did not match the keyword meta tag to your home page, normally I would, and you should if you wish to do well with Yahoo.

8. northstar

northstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Mobile and sem-advance, Can you please take for fight else were. This is suppose to be a discussion on Google not attacks on individual sites.

northstar, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  9. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    this is creative criticism north star, it really motivates us to try new things, wouldn't you agree sem?

ps thanks for the tips sem

GTech and KLB like this.
  10. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hi

Not fighting here...again my way is not the smoothest...

Glad I could help Mobile....

:)

11. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    :thumbs-up:

I would agree with suggestions to revisit your title tags. They seemed a little over the top to me.

KLB, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  12. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    oki doki will do , it was when I was offering free sms in my defence should have updated , my own silly fault . I suppose it may help i seriously cant see that creating my current status, thanks for the reminders.

:)

mobilebay, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hey Mobile

Another thing I think may need to be visited which I missed yesterday is the bottom half of the site and the page having over 100 links.

Google asks for webmasters to keep links on a page to under 100. Why??
    I have no clue to that, but it may fill googlebots stomach and make it hurl its guts all over the place....:eek: and I guess if you make googlebot barf then it hates your site for a while....

Design and content guidelines
    • Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
    • Offer a site map to your users with links that point to the important parts of your site. If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map into separate pages.

Here's some more information I found about your site from Google.

Indexing summary:
    Pages from your site are included in Google's index. [?]
    Some of these pages are indexed without a title or description. [?]
    Googlebot last successfully accessed your home page on Aug 15, 2006 .

Potential indexing problems:
    We do not know about all the pages of your site. You can submit a Sitemap to tell us more about your site.

Seems you need to submit a sitemap to Google to help yourself out here as well.

Peace

Sem-Advance, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  14. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    One section of my site is a periodic table of elements and since there are 111 named elements, the main page of that section has 111 on site links just for the elements, plus all of the supporting links (e.g. menus, definitions, etc.). That page has been that way since I first created it over 10 years ago and it had never caused a problem. I can't say whether or not this helped trigger my down fall on the July 27th update or not, but if it did it is pretty short sighted on Google's part. Clearly there are plenty of instances where it is completely appropriate and user centric to have more than 100 links on a page. In my case, staying below the 100 link cap would create unnecessary complexity and navigation for users and degrade the user experience.

KLB, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  15. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I've always tried to follow this practice as well as I think it is good for visitors as well. Too many options gets confusing. But then I think about sites like Engadget which rank well (tons of incoming links) but I just counted 872 links on their homepage.

tflight, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  16. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Ken

I doubt the 100+ links per page rule had anything to do with anyones' June 27th downfall (That I am 99.99% sure is a Google bug none of us can rectify)

As you said youve run that way for 10+years and is noted below that endgadget appears to have over 800 links..

My approach to SEO is not one of links to win but more of a holistic approach to making the whole site search engine friendly, whether this be removing spammed head tags, hidden text, poor coding, tons of onpage javascript, or style coding, hidden links, etc...so I speak from this vantage point when trying to help others...
    Ya I know it goes against the Google word....however it should also be noted that sites like Endgadget do not need Google in order to survive..... so they can have more than 100 links per page as they care less about Google rankings....

However for most of the SMBs out there I have found it better to be on Googles good side than constantly in a battle with them....;
    ;)

Sem-Advance, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  17. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Ken, have your serps rebounded (yet) from the downfall?

Christopher, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  18. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    A few of my search terms have recovered, but most (including my most important) have not recovered so I've only seen a very modest increase in traffic. It seems to be primarily a Google search problem as new articles I post are doing okay in Google News.

KLB, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  19. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm looks like a full rehash needed for heaven , cheers sem

mobilebay, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  20. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, they do. Endgadget would not be this popular without Google.

maha, Aug 22, 2006 IP