1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rackspace hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by stephenmunday, Mar 24, 2005.

Hi. I am at the early stages of investigating getting an externally hosted dedicated Windows server.

The first people I thought of were Rackspace for the following not-so-good reasons:

1. I saw their ad.
    2. They have a catchy motto - "Fanatical Support (TM)" - that I like the sound of.
    3. I didn't know any other options.

These are all pretty crummy reasons, so I wondered if any of my elders and betters could throw in their wisdom :)?

Does anyone have any experience of Rackspace?

Are there any other companies out there that offer a simliar level of fanaticism at lower prices?

Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!

stephenmunday, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  2. andy

andy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I use www.igou.com They have provided great customer service for my site and several of my friends. They have competitive pricing and a very fast connection. I can't say enough positive things about their service. Their may be better providers out there, but www.iglou.com has done great by me.
    Andy

andy, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I'm a big fan of www.xiolink.com - they specialize in windows, but they'll help you out with a linux box too. Check out webhostingtalk.com to see if there are any horror stories about a company before you sign up. Rackspace is talked about a lot there IIRC, but I can't remember if it's good or bad.

nevetS, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  4. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks Andy. I had a look and it seems that www.iglou.com is for hosting individual sites. Maybe I was not clear in my original post, but I am looking for a dedicated server where my people can have full root access, run dlls or whatever. Basically a machine that is "ours", just not located in our office.

5. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks Nevets. I will check our xiolink and webhostingtalk.com. Great help!

6. andy

andy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    iglou does colocation. Here is the url
    http://www.iglou.com/colocation/
    I have shelf space for a standard box, but a couple of my friends have rack space. IMHO the best part of their service is the fast connection.
    Andy

andy, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  7. andy

andy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You have to provide your own server with iglou. They just provide rack space and an internet connection. Maybe that is not what you are looking for.
    Andy

andy, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    One of the things you should think about is server location and whether or not you want the data center to manage your server.

If they are managing your server, how do they define managed? Will they support anything you put on there? Or just a few of their canned applications? Do they install security patches? How often? Is it discussed with you beforehand? Sometimes, an upgrade will hose one of your perl or cgi apps and then you are in trouble until you can get it fixed.

If you are looking at colocation (much cheaper and a better choice if you know how to admin a machine yourself), then think about geographic location. You will need physical access to your server at some point. Alternatively, many places keep a stock of spare parts that they'll install for you in an emergency.

Think about the quality of bandwidth too. If it's too cheap, it's probably bad. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good. Find out who their bandwidth providers are, and if they have backup connections. Look up info on their bandwidth providers to see how they are rated.

nevetS, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  9. riziko

riziko Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you do a search there are some other threads on dedicated servers. I use www.servermatrix.com and I am pretty happy with them.

Oh, I see rackspace are managed hosting meaning that they help you out running your server. ServerMatrix are unmanaged meaning you have to do pretty much everything yourself. There is a big price difference I think.

Do you know how to admin a server?

Ross

riziko, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  10. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks for all the advice. It has certainly given me a lot of food for thought and I can now ask more intelligent questions when I talk to the sales people.

I looked up webhostingtalk.com (as suggested by NevetS) and came across this thread which is entirely about which dedicated server providers people there have had the best / worst experiences with. Interestingly Rackspace didn't come up hardly at all (either as a "Best" or a "Worst").

Anyway, I have now been able to draw up a list of serveral companies that I can now contact with detailed spec requirements.

Now, I am not the person who is going to be handling the technical side of things, but as the English speaker in my Japanese company, I am the one who is doing the searching. When I get a range of offers I will go back to my technical person and see what they think.

The main difference between here and the States is that it seems that you get unlimited bandwidth here - although prices are higher.

11. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    From what I know rackspace is one of the more high priced dedicated hosting companies. I have heard however that they are good and their servers very very rarely go down.

Las Vegas Homes, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  12. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Liquidweb and Peagus web are also good option and could be expored.

BTW: Are you looking at Managed or Un-Managed option, as this is a major input in your selecting the host company.

NeoGen, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  13. Rey

Rey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Unlimited Bandwidth? I am sure servermatrix.com / theplanet.com has the unmetered bandwidth plan as well ;)

Rey, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  14. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I think we are looking at unmanaged / minimally managed. I am not sure whether we really need unlimited bandwidth as such. It is just what we have gotten used to here. I wonder if there is a freeware app we could install on our existing Linux server that would tell us our current useage. Does anyone know of one? (Thanks for all the great info so far. I always appreciate the useful insights I get from you guys.)

stephenmunday, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  15. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi does your Linux server has any control panel? As thout would help you to have a look at usage. Like cPanel and WHM.

For a free one you might look at xpanel.

NeoGen, Mar 27, 2005 IP
    stephenmunday likes this.
  16. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks webhost! I'll check that out.

17. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    mrtg will give you graphs on your usage. It can pull the data from your router - if you run your own, or from your box itself (less accurate, but still pretty darn good). Your server provider should be able to give you that information - even unlimited bandwidth, they still have to manage their network and it would be surprising for them not to know how much bandwidth you use.

nevetS, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  18. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks. I will look into that.

19. riziko

riziko Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    IOG http://www.dynw.com/iog/ will monitor bandwidth usage for you.

riziko, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    There is no such thing. Make sure to read the fine print in the TOS.

Mia, Mar 28, 2005 IP