1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I bought an abused domain...can I make it work for Search/Email?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Christian Little, Nov 19, 2009.

I bought what I thought was a really good domain name for a newsletter site I'm building. I was dumb enough to think I was getting lucky with keyword combinations on godaddy.

Apparently the previous owner scammed a lot of people with this specific domain (plus dozens of others). Now I can recover the domain from something like that even if there are complaints about it floating around the web.

But what I'm not sure about is SEO and Email. Google doesn't have anything indexed or any links recorded for the site, which makes sense since it hasn't been used in over a year. So is there any way to tell if this domain is banned?

Email - I would bet this domain has been blacklisted by a lot of ISP's. Any idea how to get un-blacklisted?

Christian Little, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  2. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is this bacordered after drop or got in expiry auction ?

if u get this domain in expiry auction chances are it wont be blocklisted and people may think the scammer is using new nick because of domain reg date :D in that case u are screwed

but can try to appeal google via webmaster tools

chandan123, Nov 19, 2009 IP
    templates likes this.
  3. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    It wasn't backordered, the domain expired 12+ months ago and I found it yesterday when trying out various keyword combinations on godaddy for a domain for a new project.

This is becoming a real pain.

Christian Little, Nov 19, 2009 IP
    templates likes this.
  4. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If it has dropped for 10 months I think you will be okay. Over time, like a year, Google will even relist a domain that never dropped. That would be one I bought. :)

Colbyt, Nov 19, 2009 IP
    templates likes this.
  5. smilesquare

smilesquare Peon

Best Answers:
    If not sure you can try google webmaster tools to submit reinclusion, so your domain can get index.

smilesquare, Nov 19, 2009 IP
  6. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    if it expired that long ago it will most likely be viewed as a new domain to Google.
    As far as being a known spam site you will want to check out some of the blacklists sites:
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

Have you searched for scam reports + your domain?
    If there is too much out there it may be best to walk away depending upon the niche

HomeComputerGames, Nov 19, 2009 IP
    Christian Little and templates like this.
  7. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for that link.really useful

templates, Nov 19, 2009 IP
    chandan123 likes this.
  8. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried that tool and every blacklist gives it a green/OK status.

Regarding scam reports...that's part of the problem. The previous owner of this domain is a major fraudster apparently. He ripped off a lot of people selling crap products that didn't work.

If you search google for this specific domain name you get a single report on RipoffReport.com, all the other reports list the domain but simply that it's owned by the fraudster in question (along with 50+ other domains).

Search google for "Sebastian Foss" - that's the scammer/fraudster who use to own this specific domain. There's hundreds of reports posted about him ripping people off in various ways. I've only found about 5 so far that mention this specific domain though.

Christian Little, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  9. seongpinas316

seongpinas316 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi thanks also for sharing the scammer so that no one will be scam again by this person :(

seongpinas316, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  10. venturetothetop

venturetothetop Peon

Best Answers:
    Goes to show, a little homework before selecting a brand name can be immensely fruitful.

Honesly, jsut go for it if it's been 10 months. Odds are most people will have forgotten by now, and if you make a big deal about the site being nder new management, even people who got burnt may give you a look.

venturetothetop, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  11. candid

candid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well this is really what happens sometimes with us who buy domains but since it has expired long time ago this can be viewed as a new domain .But I would suggest mail in to google's support team hopefully you will get the answer .

candid, Jun 19, 2010 IP