1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Business Majors? Know business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mad-d702, Nov 16, 2009.

Hey, I am thinking about accounting major and I would like to ask you guys why should I choose this major? Plus how does accounting connect to other business majors?

mad-d702, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  2. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Accounting is a good major and there's a lot of work for a CPA. Marketing is all over the place with sales, marketing research, retail management, product management, advertising etc. Management can be good but it will depend on the school. Hotel management and production management are good fields.

bogart, Nov 16, 2009 IP
    Mia likes this.
  3. Trusted1

Trusted1 Peon

Best Answers:
    From a job perspective Accounting will get you steady work, from a going into business perspective Accounting gives you a business understanding on how to read how a business is performing. If you're planning on going into business yourself (unless you're going into business as a CPA) it would pay to broaden your degree as Accounting alone won't get you business success - there's Marketing, Production, HR, Management, Communication, Procurement etc,etc.

Trusted1, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  4. mad-d702

mad-d702 Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your responses. Where would be a good source to learn more about accounting?

mad-d702, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  5. InfantryVet

InfantryVet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am majoring in Marketing, but my degree requires a few accounting classes.

In my opinion, the accounting classes that I took were much harder than any other class I've ever taken. We regularly got homework, and when I say homework, I mean 3-4 hours worth of homework.

I'm glad I finished all of the accounting classes I'm required to take! I would NEVER take another accounting class again.

Then again, I hate numbers! If you like number and formulas, you may enjoy accounting.

I know a career in accounting will pay pretty well!

InfantryVet, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  6. Trusted1

Trusted1 Peon

Best Answers:
    For a degree or a career in accounting try any university. Some community colleges have diplomas. Are you wanting a job or just some general knowledge?

Trusted1, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  7. DatingGold Colin

DatingGold Colin Peon

Best Answers:
    I would agree that Accounting is a little 'harder' when compared to other business classes. I have my degree in Business Admin, and the accounting classes were tough. There is a "right answer" or a right way to do things in accounting and they have to be done that way every time...where as 'business' can be more subjective.

I would take a look at websites that discuss GAAP (general accepted accounting principals) if you are going to be doing work in the United States....these principals will give you an idea on how accounting works.

Its a great major, not as flexible as a general business degree, but if you like accounting and want to be a CPA its a must.

GOOD LUCK!

DatingGold Colin, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  8. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me start by saying I have my Bachelor of Business Admin in Marketing, and I'm just finishing up my Masters in Marketing & Communications. With that in mind...

Your options for business majors are usually...

Accounting - book keeping, managing payroll, and dealing with all financial stuff

Human Resources - hiring, employee relations, etc.

Marketing - promoting the business/products

MIS - project management, dealing with technical sides of business

Only you can say whether accounting is right for you. Some of the courses you'll have to do are very difficult (Finance courses are brutal and accounting majors have to take several of them...it's the equivalent of Calculus in business).

You should really ask yourself what you want to be doing for your career and what you enjoy.

If you enjoy crunching numbers and playing with money, then go into accounting.

If you enjoy planning advertising campaigns, doing market research, and driving the business forward, go into marketing.

If you like making people beg for a job and want something that is always in demand, go into HR.

If you like dealing with the more technical side of business (i.e. setting up production lines, putting infrastructure in place, etc), then go into MIS.

Christian Little, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  9. rukn2002

rukn2002 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like account. Coz its boring job. Usually people do the same thing every day in accounting. Rather I would prefer Finance or Economics. These subjects are for those who wants to use their brain. I personally doing MBA major in Operations Management which includes financing, planning, motivation, decision making.

rukn2002, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  10. mad-d702

mad-d702 Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for all your feedback, additionally I have found an interesting guide that tells you more about accounting :) Thanks!

mad-d702, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  11. organicCyborg

organicCyborg Peon

Best Answers:
    I studied Information Systems, and found it to be a great combination of business and computers. There was a little bit of everything from the business major (such as accounting, management, and marketing) included in the program, but only a couple of classes for each of them. The emphasis was on information technology, and its role in solving business problems. So, I had to take basic computer classes that covered MS Office, to more intermediate classes in which we programmed with the .NET framework, and built business applications.

organicCyborg, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  12. Deus Ex

Deus Ex Peon

Best Answers:
    Connect your accounting degree with information systems or IT / tech and you're good to go. The real amount of knowledge you will accumulate is through practical knowledge and what you learn on your own. The business degrees are overrated in my opinion

Deus Ex, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  13. mad-d702

mad-d702 Member

Best Answers:
    After BSBA I am planning on going to a law school and maybe do a MBA as well.

mad-d702, Nov 21, 2009 IP