1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learn to type faster

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by in7, Nov 7, 2009.

What is the best software to learn to type faster?

I cannot touch-type (I have to look at the keys) and my speed is like 25wpm.:eek:.

How fast do you type and what can you recommend for me to improve on my typing besides more practice (I already know that that is essential and am trying to do as much as I can).

Thanks for your help.

in7, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  2. fattlumm62

fattlumm62 Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm. try typing master , ive used it 2years ago. :D

fattlumm62, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  3. MAIverson

MAIverson Peon

Best Answers:
    I have typed over 130 wpm before and now can get over 110 consistently. I'd suggest typing along to documentaries on t.v., audiobooks, and especially songs. The rhythm in songs is very helpful in getting you wired into the feel of what you are doing, just like it is to a musician trying to play an instrument.

You don't have to get every word, but merely trying to will speed you up remarkably. Trying to learn to type quickly by reading the material you want to type slows you down and diverts your energy, regardless of how quick a reader you are. Trying to learn to type quickly by listening to the material is a much smoother and more natural process that lets you keep your attention where it really should be -- on relaxing and translating what gets into your head, through no effort of your own, right down onto the page.

I used to go to court reporting school, where I practiced on stenography machines, and found the same strategy immensely helpful. I soon became the fastest student in my classes. That happened because I tried to make everything natural, rhythmic, and relaxed. You will see people doing the same thing, and speaking about the learning process in much the same way, when learning and teaching things like tai chi. They make very complex movements, but the ability to do so smoothly and with power comes from letting tension drop away and not overthinking things, so that one's inner sense of natural movement appears and starts to guide the process.

It also helps a lot to learn to blaze through the most common "chunks" of letters in English. Getting ridiculously fast on those will leave you a lot of free time to hesitate on and go more slowly through other bits. For instance, there are little bits like "tion." How often are you going to see and hear that one? Caution, expectation, situation, etc. -ility, -tion, and, for, you, your, not, don't, would, could, should ... you can get letter clusters such as those to become as much "responses" or reflexes as words to type out. Get fast enough and you'll be doing each letter so quickly that some software won't be able to recognize it for a few seconds, and some forum software may even issue you a pop up warning telling you to slow down. That's the kind of speed on chunks of text that gives you more time to be clumsy and backspace over corrections elsewhere while still keeping up a good speed.

MAIverson, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    teamnirvana likes this.
  4. organicCyborg

organicCyborg Peon

Best Answers:
    My peak is around 110 WPM, usually it's around 50-60. I don't do the "home row" or touch-typing systems, whatever they call it. I just got interstersted in computers, worked on them a lot, and a year later I could type pretty damn fast. :)

Practice makes perfect. Don't worry about looking at the keys or using the standard finger placement, just type more.

organicCyborg, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  5. iajrz

iajrz Peon

Best Answers:
    Using the computer a lot helps a lot.
    I'd recommend you to try chatting, and while at that, make an effort to keep the grammar perfect: people tend to shorten words to make responses artificially faster, which is not what you seek.
    Agreeing with organicCyborg, practice makes perfect.

I've never typed 110wpm, but I do around 60wpm, which is nice most of the time. Perhaps I could do more, but I've never really tried.

iajrz, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  6. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    It took me 5 minutes to type this out.

Bummer.

PhilipR, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  7. BannanoPeel

BannanoPeel Member

Best Answers:
    Try looking at a local community college/library class. I know that their is software out there as well.

BannanoPeel, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  8. laurencewins

laurencewins Peon

Best Answers:
    The only real way to learn is by doing.
    I do between 50-60 wpm and I only use the first 2 fingers of each hand as I find them the quickest.

I agree that the placement of certain words and letters seems to flow into memory as well.

I pick up if I have typed something wrong without even seeing it on the screen as I realise from my fingers.

laurencewins, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  9. in7

in7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess since I already know the proper finger placement, it's just a matter of doing TONS of typing until it becomes second nature. By then then I should not even have to look at the keys.

@PhilipR...I know where you're coming from:p.

By the way, for you guys who type the 50, 60+ wpm, can you do this without looking at the keys?

Thanks for your help and inspiration with your blazing typing speeds.

in7, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  10. akerkki

akerkki Peon

Best Answers:
    Learn the finger places on the keyboard well. After that just write and write. You can't learn fast typer if you dont practise a lot!

akerkki, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  11. MAIverson

MAIverson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, just practice. Practice at home, practice while watching TV, practice while waiting in line at the bank. You know the motions involved in typing out a line or two from your favorite song just as well anywhere else as you do when you're sitting at a desk. Send a little flicker of movement to your fingers at odd points throughout the day. Type without a typewriter, wherever you're at. That sort of constant frequent repetition will increase the proper neuromuscular coordination and trained response in you better than long sessions in which you start losing concentration and falling into bad habits. Frequency is your best friend when it comes to learning new fine motor skills.

MAIverson, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  12. ksw

ksw Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    At us the program - a training apparatus on the keyboard - Solo is widely used. She allows to master completely for 1-2 months a blind method of a set.

ksw, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  13. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Practice really does help. There are online typing tests you can use if you think that you need to see scores / accuracy ratings to stay motivated.

I learned using the old Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing program, and the game The Typing of The Dead.

etali, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  14. Liza New

Liza New Peon

Best Answers:
    although there are many typing tutor software but I found best than all to have an english newspaper before you read and type even your fingers will learn key directions. it need a regular practice not only one day

Liza New, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  15. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your looking for a way of learning typing without practicing. Sorry, but I dont think that actually exists. Of course what you could do is sit here on DP and read and post all day long. I use forum posting as my practice. Just remember to use proper grammar and spelling. This will get you along way when it comes to content writing because your thinking and writing at the same time. Instead of copying and just re-wording something.

gvannorman, Nov 14, 2009 IP
  16. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I type around 90 wpm sometimes more if I have a deadline. I learned it the old fashion way with looking at a book and typing. In 3rd grade I started learning some about the computer, in 6th grade we had computer lab and by the time I was 14, mom had a computer and I learned.

I think that programs are great. There are some preschool programs that might help you. I know that might seem silly but you should think about that. You could learn a lot.

Good luck.
    Kari

DreamingBig, Nov 14, 2009 IP
  17. vikg

vikg Peon

Best Answers:
    My current speed is about 40-50 wpm; I love typing but I am no more practising to increase the speed.

I recommended learning typing to all but not all pay heed to it; touch typing rocks!

vikg, Nov 15, 2009 IP
  18. RewriteArticle.uni.cc

RewriteArticle.uni.cc Peon

Best Answers:
    Am still on 140WPM, i need to agree that this is a slow rate for one who working on computer for more than a year.
    am using typing master to improve my typing skills once each week. BTW: hear audio books and learn to type faster as it goes this will give you a more momentum with your keyboard.

RewriteArticle.uni.cc, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  19. in7

in7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree. I am a firm believer that practice and repetition make perfect.

I know that I will have to do a ton of typing to improve on my speed/accuracy, I was just inquiring if anyone knew of any methods, software, courses, etc. that would allow me to get the most out of my practice time.

Thanks to all who replied and who motivated me with their awesome typing speeds!

in7, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  20. kacangijo

kacangijo Peon

Best Answers:
    Another useful skill, lol

kacangijo, Nov 17, 2009 IP