1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working as a freelance writer

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by gvannorman, Nov 11, 2009.

I recently starting offering my writing services to fellow members of DP and on a few freelance sites.

The issue I have right now is keeping things organized. I was wondering if other writers can give me some pointers here.

How to setup a spreadsheet for clients? Maybe you have one that I can use the same style. I really want this to work for me, so I am eager to seek help and get advice.

I really enjoy writing, its just the organization part that I need help with right now. So if you have any advice please pass it along.

gvannorman, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  2. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Microsoft Outlook's Calendar, but you could use any calendar really - I should switch to Google's, but I haven't.

I view the calendar as a month at a time and just fill in the projects where they fall. I can see instantly were my weekly/daily/monthly jobs fall and then fill in the gaps in the calendar with new projects as I have time. It allows me to schedule out weeks or even months in advance with ongoing projects and I can tell a client honestly exactly how long it will take to deliver materials. Since I only work evenings, my time is limited and I have it organized down to the half-hour usually.

Of course you'll want to remember that you need to build in time for marketing and administrative tasks as well.

I save notes about the projects by starring/flagging the emails, putting short notes with the calendar appointment I created or saving them as a text file in the folder that corresponds to the client's name on the calendar.

For example, if JohnDoe gave me instructions last week for a project I'm starting this week, I put him on the calendar for the next available day and save the information I need in a new folder (saved as Clients/2009/JohnDoe) so I can get right back to it when I'm ready to actual work on JohnDoe's materials. I also tend to save files with the date included in the name to make it easier to dig back through sequentially if I need to.

internetauthor, Nov 11, 2009 IP
    teamnirvana likes this.
  3. ksw

ksw Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I support the colleague. Microsoft Outlook's - the convenient, qualitative assistant in personal business, contacts to clients, correspondence. A good calendar with set of functions. Record of events, automatic reminders. With it it is really possible to work with set of versatile clients.

ksw, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  4. scifidesign

scifidesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I write, and would love to do it full time getting paid, but I am overwhelmed by the amount of websites out there offering to pay writers, are there any who are reccomended by forum members.

scifidesign, Nov 13, 2009 IP
  5. ubby4ever

ubby4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    I like your offer and will like to assist you implement your wish

ubby4ever, Nov 18, 2009 IP