1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is blue reputation

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ferret77, Mar 25, 2005.

I wondered into my user cp section today and noticed , people put stuff on my profile, I think I get the red and green ones , but what does blue mean?

ferret77, Mar 25, 2005 IP
    Solicitors Mortgages likes this.
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I think that is when they leave you rep but their vote doesn't count point wise (for various reasons).

But you still see some anonymous person has left you meaningless rep, which is useful to know :)

dct, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  3. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not big on this rep thing myself.

Bring up a different point of view, even if legit, and you get dinged.

What... you can only get good rep from being a 'yes man'?

Anyway, off my short rant and back on topic.... I'm glad you asked about the blue rep, I had wondered what that was too,

Chris

Christopher, Mar 25, 2005 IP
    dct and Solicitors Mortgages like this.
  4. dct

Best Answers:
    I dissagree and still leave you positive rep :)

Most members don't leave rep at all, those that do will leave rep for a good discussion regardless of who they agree with provided it's not a daft name calling exercise. Then again Rep here is a bit like PR, nice but useless

dct, Mar 25, 2005 IP
    l234244 likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the right attitude, but not everyone is as grown up as you ;)

Understood, but it is still aggravating when someone gives bad rep because you don't agree with what they are writing. But I really don't pay much attn to it... just a little :)

Christopher, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  6. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    i understand what your saying. Some people who leave nasty negative rep don't even have the gumption to leave their name. If one has an opinion, stick by it, don't hide.

that's what i find most annoying, other then that, it's kinda a neat system

wendydettmer, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well many times when you back someone up into a corner on a debate and they have no come back that is the way they get back at you and many times is the only option they have left.

Folks will give good reputation also if your posts are helpful and hit the spot.

Just post your best and don't let the reputation system become a form of censorship because you are worried about what folks might think.

If you are fair and honest folks will not hold a truthful post against you 99% of the time.

Unless you piss the entire forum off you are unlikely to go to RED :eek:

anthonycea, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And he knows whereof he speaks.... :D

minstrel, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    And join Minstrel's "Reputation padding co-op network", that way you can attack and insult members and still have points to spare :p :eek: :p

10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    We in the Coop Rep Network don't call it "attacking and insulting" -- we call it "strategic debating" :D

11. dct

Best Answers:
    I'm probably setting my self up for a fall here but I have so far received no red but have have seen my fair share of green (not off you minstrel I may add :) )

What does seem strange, is when I get a green tick with no comment or name, kind of leaves me not knowing why.

I have now got into the habit of voting when appropriate but like I said before at the end of the day its just fun like PR (apart from the Co-op PR weighting factor)

dct, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No DC, it is not meaningless or Minstrel would not be hoarding rep. points :eek:

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not hoarding, AC. It's like the myth about the nonexistant "PageRank bleed" -- you don't lose Rep by giving Rep to someone else, negative or positive. Outgoing Rep and incoming Rep are independent (except within the Coop Rep Network :D ).

I don't award Rep that often but I do give positive Rep when a post really catches my eye for some reason -- either because it's intelligent and well-expressed or because it makes me laugh -- and negative Rep when I think someone is being a jerk.

Or positive Rep in AC's case when I started the "get Anthony a green box" capmpaign (which i fear I may live to regret :eek: )

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well the reason Shawn keeps this reputation system around is that he gets about 20 blockbuster threads on it every year by default.

When you think of the content that this forum has gained because of it, there is no wonder why he keeps it around.

The biggest problem with the rep. system right now is that so many folks have learned about it and are aware of it, now it (the object) is becoming a larger factor as time goes on.

It just keeps building and is becoming a monster, sort of like a snowball rolling down hill, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and keeps on rolling. :eek:

15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Don't sweat it. It's spring... the snow is all melting :D

16. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I always use the reputation system for threads/posts which I think are interesting. The disappointing thing is when someone gives you a negative reputation and doesnt leave their username or explain why. In a recent discussion in the google forum dfsweb had posted information which was incorrect, I and a few others pointed out he was wrong so he went and give me a bad rep, wtf?

It would be good if you could ban certain members from leaving reputation to you, after all is there anything to stop a member giving out one bad rep to you, then doing another 19 positive rep's and then leaving more bad rep for the same person?

l234244, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  17. justtara

justtara Peon

Best Answers:
    The person is probably just lazy or can't think of a comment at the time.

justtara, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  18. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, I hate that, too. Sometimes I get green rep & no comment... So I click on the post they commented on & It's just me saying ''welcome to the forum'' or another equally pointless post.

MELLA, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  19. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to show how useless the reputation system is, a member has just given me bad rep for my post in this thread leaving the comments "I like being anonymous". Very funny whoever it was, glad you felt the need to waste your time in a pointless manner.

l234244, Mar 26, 2005 IP
    MELLA and wendydettmer like this.
  20. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    I got exactly the same, l234244.

So immature....

MELLA, Mar 26, 2005 IP
    wendydettmer, l234244 and dct like this.