1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YPN spells NO for UK webmaster

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by jkomp, Aug 18, 2006.

With the recent (very big) drop in pay outs to their publishers, perhaps less of us non-US (I'm in the UK) publishers can stop peeing our pants waiting for them to open their heavily bolted doors. I was once anxious to get YPN and yes I am sure it would monetize some of my sites in such as way that would make more than i currently make from adsense. But why would I want to work with a company that does not have the infrastructure to release a global product - why can't YPN be made available to people in modernised countries such as the UK and Canada?
    I just think Y! have treated us non-US publishers badly and I'm just not sure if I will ever switch to YPN should it become available :S
    I dunno maybe I am just being pissy cos I can't have it - what do you guys think? particularly interested in the views of YPN users.

jkomp, Aug 18, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe it is currently on beta testing so they probably just want to test with a smaller number of advertisers and publishers so if anything goes wrong, the issue will not be widespread. I am sure that when it gets out of the beta, you will definitely be able to use it.

eddy2099, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  3. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this whole beta excuse has been going on for ages! Why can't they beta test somewhere other than the USA for once. I have nothing against the USA, in fact I love it and have just come back from my fourth trip there, but when will companies such as Y! realise that they exist in a global market and a USAcentric bias will turn off publishers outside of the US?

jkomp, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  4. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's not even just Y!
    "Sorry, we are only able to offer Rhapsody to US customers at this time."
    Really pisses me off, makes it seem like i come from some kind of under developed country.

jkomp, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  5. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo bloggers are rude!

See how they make sacarstic remarks about Ireland laws at ypnblog.com. They said "DO NOT send them traffic from Ireland." Google and other companies has no problem with that at all. In all in, yahoo asks you to block visitors from Ireland. That's a big request indeed--it's like don't share resources with these people. Why don't they just hide ads from restricted countries?

brandnewx, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  6. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Zimbabwe and Ireland? what do they have in common?

jkomp, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  7. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    You make some valid points jkomp - maybe a movement to stop using Yahoo UK would be a good message to send?

wrmineo, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  8. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmm yeah and maybe I should stop using yahoomail so frequently :S
    It seems a little harsh to single out YPN, a lot of companies/services do it and as you can tell it makes me a little angry...you wouldn't like me when I'm angry ;)

jkomp, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  9. SkiRat44

SkiRat44 Peon

Best Answers:
    YPN publishers are getting banned in the US for low conversion. How is anybody publishing ads in other countries going to do any better?

SkiRat44, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  10. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    many niches barely have enough advertisers for the US market... what good would ypn do Internationally when they dont have the advertisers to go with it? YPN is a smart company. they will go International when they are ready... not a moment before. i seriously doubt advertisers want to pay for clicks coming from a country that cant use their services. and im sure YPN wants Int publishers to have a positive experience when it is released by having the advertising backbone to go along with it.

as always, jmo

karagold, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  11. EasyMarketer

EasyMarketer Active Member

Best Answers:
    What's kind of funny is some high up guy in Yahoo is probaly reading this thread right now laughing. I think they should just open it up to the world. "But" they maintain the strict policy of, It better be a "Damn" good site. What do yall think?

EasyMarketer, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  12. moneymakingguru

moneymakingguru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please read this and start monetising with YPN.

moneymakingguru, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Peon

Best Answers:
    No, no international. They have SO mcuh to improve on, it's crazy. Plus it takes lots of $ out of their budget to go worldwide or "uk/can" which they may not be ready to spend, or take any risks right now. We all know that the whole Yahoo! is smart. From Flickr, Search Engine to this (YPN) , so let's just let them do the job, and see what they do. But think, when YPN goes international, your rates will not be ANYWHERE as high as they are right now! (not that they are all that high last couple months anyway) Time will tell.

Red Thunder, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  14. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive been using YPN since two weeks after it opened. If your not in America just ask a friend online to use his account and setup a channel. Thats all i do and he pays me what im owed through paypal.

jabb, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  15. mika123

mika123 Peon

Best Answers:
    that's very clever of you... :)

mika123, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  16. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't work with your smart friend. Your friend will realize what is he doing when he gets knock on door from IRS. Note that Yahoo will report all payments to your friend to IRS and he is supposed to pay tax on it.

He may have ignored this fact (or didn't knew), but you as a good friend should inform him in advance.

well, discard this post if you both already have agreement on taxes

dshah, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  17. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    The fact is that you don't own Yahoo! they have the right and the freedom to do whatever they want whether that is to disallow some countries or not, you however should not be arguing over that, it's their decision, and for us legal Americans, it's a great advantage which I appreciate in my great country. :)

ArcticPro, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  18. amstrad

amstrad Active Member

Best Answers:
    when yahoo wiill be acccept others members outside usa ?

amstrad, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  19. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Haha a big factor in the American model is the power of the consumer - no I don't own Yahoo! but I am a Yahoo! user and as such I have the right to complain about an aspect of their service that I do not believe to be up to scratch, plus freedom of speech lets me say my piece without someone telling me I can't complain cos I don't own the company :S

Yup you're country is great, but so is mine (as are many others), why should we not have the same advantage?

jkomp, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  20. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    That was the reason Google beated Yahoo first place. Google thinks global. Adsense is the king of contextual advertising for years and will continue for years without the fear of diluting PPC that Yahoo has. I guess you don't know what globalization is and how it gives great advantages to your country. Read "The world is flat"

brandnewx, Aug 19, 2006 IP