1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain and Hosting with different companies

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by PPCInformer, Nov 4, 2009.

Hi

I usually get domain from a company and host it on a server from a diffrent company. Is there any guide available which outlines the steps involved in getting this done.

Basically i have a cpanel and have added the domain in there, then I created an FTP to upload the files but cant seem to connect to it.

any help appreciated

PPCInformer, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  2. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to point the nameservers first to get the domain working for that hosting account.

For Instant FTP before propagation, you'll have to put the IP of the host in your hostname field in FTP.

flamer, Nov 4, 2009 IP
    PPCInformer likes this.
  3. PPCInformer

PPCInformer Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks flamer

So now I have jumped into the domain control and changed both the name servers to the host's name servers.

If you dont mind.. could you also point me the right direction to read some thing about

CName, AName and Name Serervers... the wikipedia entries were a tad complicated for me to understand.. are they the same ?

4. PPCInformer

PPCInformer Active Member

Best Answers:

thanks mate

5. MattyAsia

MattyAsia Peon

Best Answers:
    Name Servers is what you set to what your hosting company has set up as the name servers for your domain.

A Name is IP the address of your server.
    C Name is the an address which points to the IP of your server.

If you can set the A Name, I recommend setting that to the IP address of your server, this way if you later change servers, you can just change the IP and don't need to wait for propagation again.

MattyAsia, Nov 5, 2009 IP