1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimising Google feed I'm stumped!

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by affilimate, Nov 2, 2009.

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to optimise our new website for google product feed, We have over 800 products and have changed our product landing pages to include keywords in the title tags and headers/descriptions. One other thing we noticed is that some of the websites in the top 10/first page of the product feed have reviews on sites such as dooyoo.com and ciao.co.uk however these websites aren't in the top three so although this may help it doesn't seem to be a massive factor?

From the update we receive from Google it updates once a day meaning any changes cannot be checked until the following day. I'm really stumped about how we can get further on optimising our feed as the top three merchants for one of our products websites havent got a touch on ours in terms of design quality, content etc. Is it just a matter of time?

Has anyone got any good tips for how we can get in the top 3 as very few people will click through to the actual feed its more the preview they get at the top of the serps that I'm trying to achieve. Also I'm new to this so any advice would be appreciated :)

affilimate, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  2. affilimate

affilimate Peon

Best Answers:
    Any ideas guys, few views and no replies. Made a few changes appears price isn't always the deciding factor (being the cheapest)

affilimate, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  3. olivercarding

olivercarding Member

Best Answers:
    I have experimented a little bit with it :

"Its a completley different alg. I have done a bit of research into this in the past few weeks and noticed that its about not being too spammy, whereas in your meta descrip you can use the keywords 4/5 times, Base prefers you to use your keywords only once/twice dependant on how long your title & description is.

There is a bit more to it but it is late and i cba'd
    Using google checkout is absoloute bull though.. From what i have been doing in the last few days for my products i am out ranking most of the competition for the same products and that includes people with "Ratings" & people using google base.

The traffic is good from base but the conversion rate is shocking considering i am using pretty long tail keywords. "

olivercarding, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  4. affilimate

affilimate Peon

Best Answers:
    From looking at our xml feed it updates once a day 10pm UK time so any changes wont be seen until the next day :-(

I've tried adding the product keywords in the beginning and the end of the product description, I think any more than that and it might appear spammy.

Funny thing with one of the top merchants by relevance which is default is all their reviews were negative! I can see what you mean about the long tale although our product is slightly higher value/more niche so the people looking for it may convert better hopefully!

affilimate, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  5. kt26i

kt26i Peon

Best Answers:
    I have read that they are applying a trust algorithm to your feed; I manage a few websites with hundreds of products in there mix. They all rely on Google products, I have found that a new feed takes a few weeks to settle. Also I changed my schedule from daily to weekly this also seemed to improve the rankings slightly.

kt26i, Nov 4, 2009 IP