1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you are contracted to write some code who owned it?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by hbosltsb, Nov 4, 2009.

If you are contracted to write some code who owned it?

hbosltsb, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  2. Creatino

Creatino Peon

Best Answers:
    This should be specified as part of the deal. You should state in the contracted agreement from the start who has the rights to the finished project.

Creatino, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  3. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This should be spelled out in the contract. I've worked for companies where in the contract the client only owns a compiled version of the application not the uncompiled code.

Typically for a website the design belongs to the client but as for the actual code, in most cases it is not possible to give full rights to the client. In my case, I use microsoft products for my programs, much of the code is prewriten classes by visual studio, not hand written, and as such is owned by Microsoft not me. Of the hand written code much of it is very similar from one application to the next (database entry etc) so the only truly original part is the is the concept of the site and the design

I give my clients access to the uncomplied code, but not exclusive rights to the code itself, Only the design and original concepts.

adacprogramming, Nov 4, 2009 IP
    wptheme likes this.
  4. MayaLocke

MayaLocke Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the agreement, this should be sorted out before any code is written!

MayaLocke, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  5. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats correct, though usually it would be the person paying's ownership if he paid for it to be unique.

wptheme, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  6. SmallPotatoes

SmallPotatoes Peon

Best Answers:
    If the contract doesn't say anything about it, then the person who pays you owns the code.

SmallPotatoes, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    If they pay you to provide a service, they have every right to assume complete ownership of the project. The fact that they are hiring you to write it is spelled out enough.

hmansfield, Nov 9, 2009 IP