1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Community sharing in a subdomain or subdirectory?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Divergence, Nov 3, 2009.

I was thinking about contributing to some of the open source communities like Wordpress or phpBB, etc in the form of plugins and/or templates. If I do this, is it better for your sites PR and general marketing to make it a subdomain, or as a subdirectory or does it not matter?

Divergence, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  2. imacamper

imacamper Peon

Best Answers:
    It's my understanding that if one has enough content and depth to stand on its own, subdomains are good. However if not, then subdirs are better.

I'll be curious to see what other opinions are.

Cheers,

Drew

imacamper, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  3. Divergence

Divergence Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure that the content will be good. For example, I'm a programmer as well, and I am looking to create a phpBB plugin that is currently unavailable. So I figure that there will be some interest, how will the subdomain work out PR wise, or should I not care?

Divergence, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  4. imacamper

imacamper Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not talking about how "good" your content is. I'm talking about quantity and depth. In other words, a one page web site with exceptional content still won't do well in its own subdomain and is better off in a folder. If you're going to use a subdomain, you need to have multiple pages that link to each other to create depth.

HTH,

Drew

imacamper, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  5. Divergence

Divergence Peon

Best Answers:
    Gotcha, makes sense thanks for replying!

Divergence, Nov 5, 2009 IP