1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Sitewide / Blogroll links Really Bad? Do you have acutal experience?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by missionimpossible, Jun 4, 2009.

If they are really so bad, then why are lots of the top ranking sites links are blogroll / sitewides? example www.extracreditcards.com, www.edenfantasys.com they have high rankings in google and mainly have sitewide blogrolls links?

missionimpossible, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please state if the links contain adult content!!!!!! There are a lot of people that access digitalpoint from their work computer - and a lot of employers filter internet sites by keyword. Going to sex related sites can get people into trouble. Even if its by accident, some employers do not care.

That eden fantasys is an adult toy, sex related site.

~kev~, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  3. sappcomglobal

sappcomglobal Banned

Best Answers:
    Kev, thanks for the heads up I was about to click the 2nd link. However, on the first site I did not see any outgoing site-wide links. Care to specify where you see them?

sappcomglobal, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I don't think site-wide footer links or site-wide blog roll links on other sites pointing back to your site are inherently bad... Sites have been doing it since the beginning of time and continue to do so with great success especially if the link text contains your targeted keyword phrase(s) instead of just your domainname. I'm sure Google recognizes them easily as part of the page template or boilerplate, and possibly discounts them a bit. But they generally do get counted as backlinks, even by Google who is probably the pickiest of all the engines when it comes to what gets counted and what does not.

Sure, 100 contextual links from 100 different relevent sites would be preferable to 100 footer links from a single irrelevant site. But the 100 footer links will still help assuming the link text contains your targeted keyword phrase, just maybe not as much. They certainly won't hurt. It is very rare that ANY inbound link could hurt your site (cause your rankings to drop because of penalty or get you banned) unless you are a total idiot and admitted you were buying links, for instance, on the Google help forums while you were logged into your WMT account. LOL

Canonical, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  5. missionimpossible

missionimpossible Peon

Best Answers:
    the thing i did notice was msn and yahoo do not like the blogroll links. Sites that rank high in google with blogroll links didnt rank high in yahoo or msn. But sites with regular article links and press release links that rank high in google also rank high in yahoo and msn.

6. missionimpossible

missionimpossible Peon

Best Answers:
    not out going sitewides either. I mean the site has lots of inbound sitewide links that people tend to believe is negative on the sites rankings.

7. wholenewmind

wholenewmind Peon

Best Answers:
    However, I have seen that again and again. High PR page with tons of backlinks from tons of sitewide blogrolls.

Do you have direct experience if it is going to help or hurt?

Would creating a text widget on the sidebar with a paragraph of text with a link be a better idea?

Thank you.

wholenewmind, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  8. tody8815

tody8815 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    You are absolutely correct.I too find this thing but 'm confused about the reason.Can you explain it Plz.

tody8815, Nov 2, 2009 IP