1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is Rep Still Anonymous?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by GeorgeB., Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you just want to retaliate and return the red rep.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  2. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But the safeguard for that is already in place. Sure that person could immediately retaliate. Fair enough, so now you just have 2 people with 1 red rep. To take it any further both of them would have to go find 20 people to give rep to just so they can come back and give the person a red rep - AND - because you can't give more than 10 reps in a day it could be nearly 48 hours before they can give that person rep again. Plenty of time to have discussed it or cooled down.

Plus you could leave the -1 penalty in place.

And like I said before, people won't be giving the kind of rep that would even provoke a retaliation in the first place if they had to stand by it with their name and couldn't do it anonymously.

Brian, what's done is done. What I'm trying to do is keep it from happening again... and again.....

GeorgeB., Oct 30, 2009 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually in a "best case scenario" you can't rep the same person for 10 days.

digitalpoint, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  4. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    double posting George? you should know better then that.

reputation has been anonymous and unmoderated since the forum began. why change it now? maybe if you whine enough Shawn will cave in to you.

sawz, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  5. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Moderators Can see who left their Rep for a Reason right? :)
    It'll solve the same purpose.

Helvetii, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  6. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK, if you say so.

But it was an honest mistake. I have like 4 windows open and I saw a reply and responded to it.

And you call it whining, I call it a win win for everyone.

Sorry to offend. Hope I didn't ruin your day with my double post. I just fixed it. :(

Even better!

7. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Just ignore it. Why would you care what someone posts in your rep?

I give anonymous rep, both red and green, and I will tell you why. I want the person to deal with the message in the rep and not start a tit for tat war of reps. They can simply ignore it if they want or they can think about it.

I red rep people who consistently give shitty advice in the legal section, as I do with people who insult religions and advocate killing of any group of people. Yes, I red rep Israel supporters and report their posts to the mods as well. I am an equal opportunity repper and reporter.

I certainly do not care about my own reps I receive. Feel free to red rep me anonymously.

browntwn, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  8. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    your not a moderator. so what purpose would it serve?
    what problem will that solve?

sawz, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  9. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sawz take it easy :p

Please tell me why are Mods given that privilege? I'm not challenging it. Just trying to know the reason so that I can get my point across better or take it back.

10. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i don't know, i never knew mods could see rep until i became one. its a mod perk, for mods and admins. maybe Shawn wants to horde some of the cool features for himself and the team. maybe he's a stingy one and doesn't want to share. there could be an assortment of other reasons, just speculating now.

sawz, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  11. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh well, I thought that since you guyz do work which pisses many people off (Rule Breakers of course) so you also get a lot of abuses, curses, swears etc via rep because people think its anonymous. So Shawn may have wanted you to know who did that.

That's the reason I applied to extending this privilege to members or just premium too. If you guys get to know to who's abusing you, so should others. :)

12. browntwn

Best Answers:
    I don't see what the problem is. Someone didn't like your post, so what? Why should people not be able to make comments to you about your post?

Just ignore it. It sounds like you are trying to stifle people's criticism of you. Why do you call it taunting? They simply wrote "cool" and gave you a neg rep. I see nothing wrong with it.

Now, death threats, very abusive language, and all that is another story. But then you can report that to a Mod.

By the way, have you even given and anonymous rep on DP?

13. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People who use B/S/T care.

Oh, really? You want the person to deal with the message?

Then why not post it in the thread instead anonymously AND take a -1 rep point just to make it red? What's that part for? Trying to avoid a rep tit for tat is as simple as posting it in the thread. You discuss it, it ends, you move on.

Come on dude, you're gonna have to do better than that if you're going to try to justify doing it anonymously.

Sounds good. So why not just post in the thread and have that discussion where it belongs. (hint: not in rep messages)

No thanks, I'm not afraid to tell you how I feel here in the open. ;)

14. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Best of luck with that :rolleyes:

Rep is an unmoderated area.

15. ChrisMiller

ChrisMiller Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am highly against this because the 2nd people start being able to see rep this section will fill up with.

Its alot more trouble then its worth really.

ChrisMiller, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  16. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I got a lot more of that before I became a mod. Now that I am a mod, and people know that I can see who it's from, they are much more polite.

And I think that is the point George is making. People will think twice before leaving a red rep, and IMO that is a good thing. They will still have the freedom to leave rep as they so choose, but they will do it knowing that they have to take ownership of their actions.

buffalo, Oct 30, 2009 IP
    GeorgeB. likes this.
  17. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. If rep is un-anonymous then all these abuses will stop (most of them :p)

GeorgeB. likes this.
  18. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    brwntwn thanks for responding. I responded to your other post in P&R too.

I'm sorry did I say that rep should be removed somewhere? Or did I say it shouldn't be anonymous?

You can say what you like bro, that's what the forum is for. Just be brave enough to say in the thread what you say in rep.

And please stop pretending. Saying what you want is one thing. But you take a -1 point and make it anonymous for a reason....

If you're worried about a rep tit for tat then perhaps it's a discussion you should be having in the thread where it belongs and not in rep?

You can criticize me all you want, just like you're doing now and we're all perfectly fine with that.

You seem to be doing fine so let me ask you... Why such a strong desire to do it anonymously in rep then?

We get the vulgar stuff too (see my post above). It happens so often no one reports it. If they did the mods would likely:

A) Get fed up and make up a rule that we can't report rep anymore.
    B) Get overwhelmed and agree it's a problem.
    C) Ask Shawn to remove rep all together.

Absolutely not. I can easily say that knowing that Shawn might make it possible for people to see if I were lying.

Question back at ya....... are you so against making it non-anonymous because being a person who has admitted they give plenty anonymous red rep you know people are about to find out the type of person you are when you think they can't see it's you?

19. browntwn

Best Answers:
    How about this. If someone reports an improper rep, such as a death threat, how would a Mod know who did it if it was anonymous to the Mods? They have to be able to see who gives every rep so they can MODERATE the forum.

Seems pretty self explanatory to me.

20. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If they're forced to leave their name, they'll have more inclination to just post those negative comments publicly instead. I'd say count your blessings that they have the anonymous option. I'd hate to think how much negative BS is actually keeps off the boards thanks to that.

Because mods / admins should have a broader picture of members' behavior. For example, when we nominate and vote on new mods, it's good to know who's had a habit of mod-bashing in the past.

Rep is an unmoderated area. Mods to not see your rep. They do see their own. Only you and admins can review your own rep comments, and if a member doesn't want to see them, they have the option to minimize that in their settings page.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    jhmattern, Oct 30, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.