1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A subdomain indexing issue..please advise

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by akinak, Oct 26, 2009.

search.domain.com keeps a record of popular searches on domain.com. Each keyword in search.domain.com is linked to specific product pages on domain.com. Now, if I search for those popular products on Google, Yahoo or MSN searc.domain.com shows up in rankings instead of specific product page.

What should I do to avoid that? Or is it okay to leave these pages as it is in SE's? These pages do rank well in SE's.

Please advise.

akinak, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  2. akinak

akinak Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I should disallow this subdomain via robots.txt. But I am confused since each keyword leads to a particular product page. So, in one way it is useful to the users.

Please advise..what should I do? Any DP expert???

akinak, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  3. hassan_ali

hassan_ali Peon

Best Answers:
    care to ellaborate? cuz i dun really understand what the issue is? but if i do think i know what ur saying then you could try no-index on keywords on search.domain.com however since i dont know the mechanics of ur site or what and how it works.. i dont know if it will effect ur domain.com

hassan_ali, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  4. akinak

akinak Peon

Best Answers:
    search.domain.com is a static page that lists the popular searches on the website. Each search keyword links to a list of products for that keyword. This is all on search.domain.com.

Now each product on the list links to that particular product page on domain.com.

For few of these popular search keywords, search.domain.com page shows up in search rankings. What I am trying to ask is - should a product page from domain.com be my priority or even search.domain.com is okay (since it does bring in traffic and thus potential sales)

I hope I am able to explain the situation - it seems kinda hard.

akinak, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  5. hassan_ali

hassan_ali Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont think it really matters .. to be honest.. since both would bring in traffic to you.. and i think because search.domain.com is already indexed and linking to your other product pages.. it probably is good for those product pages.. and they should start rnking soon enough..

otherwise i think you can try what i said before.. and making those product keywords on search.domain.com no-index.. but that way ull have to work for your product pages to show up in search results..

6. akinak

akinak Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mean to say that search.domain.com acts as back links for domain.com product pages?

akinak, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  7. Kristina19

Kristina19 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If that pages are ranking well then nothing bad but it is good for you.

Kristina19, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  8. hassan_ali

hassan_ali Peon

Best Answers:
    @ akinak - yup in a way they do

9. alex_cristo

alex_cristo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well nothing wrong and you need to continue the same way if your search.domain.com page ranking well in search engines but if you want to avoid then you may block this through robots.txt file but it is not recommended.

alex_cristo, Oct 28, 2009 IP