1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

web designer vs. webmaster

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by oliveri, Oct 26, 2009.

Is it a wide-spread practice if I only do the pure web-design part (HTML,CSS,Photoshop) and another person does the PHP, MySQL part from another computer?
    What are the disadvantages of this if I aim to do web design freelance?

(I remind you I am a newbie)

oliveri, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  2. forextrendalerts

forextrendalerts Guest

Best Answers:
    These terms are closely related and in many cases are interchangeable. Generally speaking Web Designers focus on visible design aspects of a Web site like graphics and HTML layout. So you could say that designers are more likely to have artistic experience or talents. It's unwise to make any generalizations here. For example a webmaster can be an expert at visible design aspects but since he/she handles so many tasks everyone just calls that person the webmaster for a specific organization.

forextrendalerts, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  3. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    webmaster should know marketing, little bit of graphics, coding but designer should know photoshop and for web coder/developer he should know php,css,html.

Jalpari, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  4. Kayarc

Kayarc Peon

Best Answers:
    it certainly saves times splitting up the programming and the design..in some cases one person may do more work for one project but in the grand scheme it usually evens out

Kayarc, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  5. bindassdelhiite

bindassdelhiite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi buddy,

A Web Master plays multiple roles. He/she can be the designer, programmer and or the content provider of his/her website.

A Web Designer in short is a person who gives a visual appeal to a web application/content.

enjoy :)

bindassdelhiite, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  6. infotech rules

infotech rules Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you compare both web designers are talented because of their specific capabilities in the respective field.

infotech rules, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  7. coffeecup

coffeecup Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Please visit the following for some great information regarding the difference:

http://malaysia.video.yahoo.com/watch/4390602/11778564

Best of luck! :)

coffeecup, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  8. Chocolate Lime

Chocolate Lime Active Member

Best Answers:
    In short, a Web Designer is responsible for the look and feel and a Webmaster looks after the infrastructure and architecture of the site.

Webmasters can be responsible, as Jalpari says, for marketing and site promotion.

Chocolate Lime, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  9. stuart.letterman

stuart.letterman Guest

Best Answers:
    It's all very wishy washy these terms but generally designers, well design.

A webmaster could even be a forum admin in some people's eyes :rolleyes:

stuart.letterman, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  10. adwebtiser

adwebtiser Peon

Best Answers:
    its up to you i guess, which part do you enjoy the most and you feel talented at, I would work on that field first and once I mastered it then i will look into the other. Because then at least you will become a pro in one of them. I guess thats why in companies they will have a person in charge of the design and the other in charge of coding

adwebtiser, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  11. forextrendalerts

forextrendalerts Guest

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, versions 5.5 SP2 and 6.0 (soon to be released) no longer support Netscape-style plug-ins, such as the plug-in installed as part of QuickTime 5.0.2 and earlier versions. Consequently, Windows customers using these versions of Explorer who visit your site may be unable to view QuickTime content in the browser. To mitigate this problem and to ensure a positive experience for your Web site visitors, you should add to your site the HTML code that makes available the new ActiveX control for QuickTime, as described below.

forextrendalerts, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  12. LeetPCUser

LeetPCUser Peon

Best Answers:
    Web designer and Webmaster are not interchangable. A web designer, in my opinion, is someone who designs the websites and can do basic HTML/CSS or slices the website in Photoshop. A webmaster is actually someone who maintains the site. Usually this is a person who setup the hosting and knows the site. In most cases the webmaster was the web developer of the website. A web developer is someone who brings in the PHP and MySQL. They tend to take a design from a web designer and implement it into a fully functioning site.

The primary difference is the fact that PHP and MySQL allows for extra features like database driven sites allowing for members systems and data collection. PHP is the language that allows your website to talk to the database. It also adds extra functionality like form processing (sending emails off of forms, putting them in the database, etc.) and allows for you to pull values from the database for member systems (username, password, email, etc.).

LeetPCUser, Oct 30, 2009 IP