1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No luck getting listed with a primo site... been told my competition is moderator

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by iknowalittlebit, Oct 25, 2009.

I have had no luck getting listed in DMOZ with our site. We are a quality site that is one of the largest in our field. I have been told that one of my competiors is the moderator for our field on DMOZ. What can I do about this? Am I sol?

iknowalittlebit, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed and Ivan Bajlo like this.
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Surprising what some want to believe when their site is not yet listed.

Ever consider that maybe it hasn't even been looked at yet? Consider also that more than just one person can edit in the category you're trying to get listed in.

What can you do about?

Have you suggested your site?

Then that is all you can do about it.

Quit worrying about it and look for other ways to promote your site. It's truly not worth the effort. :)

CReed, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ takes a very long time to get listed from what I understand for most people. So if it hasn't been very long maybe you just need to wait more time. I read somewhere around these forums that if you try and resubmit it bumps you to the bottom of the list and you have to wait longer. Not sure if that is totally true or not. I have also read here that it took one member 8 months to get listed.

gameutopia, Oct 26, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If what you say is true, then all you have to do is produce the evidence and that editor will be removed.

Agent000, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    that one is kind a hard when editing logs are kept hidden from public :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 26, 2009 IP
    Mia likes this.
  6. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    and where will be the loss or the winning from that ? to have one site more added on the directory ... right .. :) evidence ? what you say about spam links witch are already listed on the directory ? it's not enough evidence yet to see everyone what's happening here? anyway ... it's a lost cause and it's seems peoples who have actually power on dmoz prefer just to keep things like they are now .
    of course do you wanna change them ? none will can lol ... do you can even imaginary paint what will happens if the editing logs will be made public :)? this will mean for them like shooting on the foot lol ...

trustnobodynever, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So because someone said this, it must be true:confused:

Now i'm not going to try and convince anyone that it isnt true, or that it is true. But what i will say is that you cant believe everything you hear and at least show some proof, lodge an abuse report or make some form of effort to show you are serious.

Making a comment like this, without any prrof, willingness to show evidence or any intention of pursuing the matter.............well its just a waste of time and causes problems :( Hearsay from a 3rd party is nothing.

snooks, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  8. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    just like an remind ofcourse ... what proofs need more than spam links added on the directory ? I mean ... general public have nothing more than actual listings added by you guys here , since only editors can add those links ... I mean it's an normal logic way right ? ... when IF THE SPAM LINKS ARE THERE what proof you need more ? well you and anyone else .. I`ve pointed till now 2 examples and what explanation come from Jim ? ... '' link rot '' check the damn it whois records of the domains , check the wayback machine THOSE LINKS wasn't changed over the years ... so ... editors adding garbage links on the directory ! we can't ... we ... general public '' nonames like me and few others around '' ,..... so if the spam links and links witch aren't follow your so loved guidelines are there on the directory , hundreds of them WHAT PROF NEED MORE ? size of the shoes from the editors who added them ? maybe what cookies he/she love ? what color have hes panties ? WHAT PROOFS NEED MORE THAN THE SPAM LINKS FROM THE DIRECTORY ?

trustnobodynever, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  9. iknowalittlebit

iknowalittlebit Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said that it was or wasn't true.

We have one of the most professional looking sites in the category and I believe that we move more product than anybody else in the category. The category is small, maybe a couple of dozen in the directory. Not that many more in existence wither. It's a small niche market.

I submitted the site to the directory 18 months ago. On the thirteen month anniversary, I submitted it again. I have other sites that are in the directory in much larger categories. I know that it takes time, but after 18 months, I am pretty sure that I am being snubbed for some reason.

iknowalittlebit, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  10. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is small niche then explanation is very simply there are no editors familiar with topic and it is simply avoided by probably all of editall and metas, non-english categories are in even worse shape with very few metas familiar with smaller languages and these categories are literally dead.

Any new editor that might accidentally join is more frowned upon as possible criminal who wants to destroy DMOZ then helped by metas to improve his skills so they quickly get bored and never return and if for some reason they decided to stay they get removed for some BS reason only metas are allowed to know.

If you really want to get listed it might be best to apply as editor to this category list your own website and few others worth of it, remove old garbage and then quit - they'll remove you anyway sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, Oct 26, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo and joeventura like this.
  12. iknowalittlebit

iknowalittlebit Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually did apply to be an editor of the category and never received a response.

iknowalittlebit, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  13. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most people who apply do get a e-mail response. just be sure to check your e-mail. sometimes its sent to your junk mail folder.

Caesar1, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  14. music legend

music legend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes you are probably SOL unless u can get it listed in another catagory

music legend, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Simply by making the statement you are infering it is true.

Every Editor Application recieves an email response. From what i remember, its a special set of code numbers and I think you have to click on a link to confirm. Im not 100% sure....but i think so.

It certainly could not hurt to try again :) Just apply, read the guidelines for the application very closely, you can use your site as one of the application sites and disclose all affiliations. There is no problem in suggesting your site as long as you declare the affiliation. (We simply want honesty).

I do hope that should you be successfull, that you will improve the cat, maintain and expand it and hopefully you enjoy editing and may even help elsewhere.

Let us know how you get on :)

snooks, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  16. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    true or false facts are like that : The directory it's full with links witch have not any reason to be there , they are breaking most of guidelines point's .... someone added this links there and with sure was someone from inside of editorial staff , in meantime those peoples waiting even years maybe hoping for someone so kind of the editors ( SAME ONES WITCH ADD SPAM LINKS ON THE DIRECTORY ) to '' review '' hes site ... what happens on the final well , those peoples finish writing and reading such forums like this one lol ... it's normal ? '' volunteer work '' lol ..
    ALL those email's are automatically send out , all with same garbage deceptive advertising text , few months back I`ve got couple of infractions because I had to ask about those emails ... and when I`ve come with second set of SAME emails on the scene got a lovely ban from the mods from here :) ... SO .. editorial application ...let's scroll up a little ...to recheck the facts ... editors adding spam links on the directory , someone randomly '' suggest '' hes site on the directory , after months & years maybe of waiting he come here on this forum right ? ... what he see ... ah .. an recommendation to apply for an editor , what a gorgeous thing ... he will get of course automatically sent emails with some garbage's in short words '' dude you are retard have no way to be an editor '' ...

Where it's the point applying for an editor if we will know all the result ?
    Where it's the point trying to find an explanation after all ... since the result it's easy to see by everyone who wanna see it

trustnobodynever, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  17. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    What does this have to do with a editor application response???

Well when you write English like that, it should be obvious.

Caesar1, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Incorrect!

That is hearsay at it's finest and is NOT and should NOT be inferred as truth.

You can try an abuse report, but honestly, where do you think those go? That's right, to the very people you are reporting!

Then again... what proof will they accept? Why they have yet to let us know.

I suspect that the edit logs could help but alas...

Qryztufre, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  19. jamesdenoil

jamesdenoil Peon

Best Answers:
    Our site took a long time to get listed there, you can wait or just try forums to get more knowledge about this all

jamesdenoil, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  20. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    just curious what word I`ve wrote wrong ? anyway ... isn't that off topic a little ? second thing ... similar thing happened on two different application I mean ... what I`ve said up about editorial application's :) ... yes one was made on english under a english name and so on ... other one on native language ... Editorial application's are '' review '' exactly like '' suggestions '' for the listings , same garbage and same deceptive advertising stuff's on both cases :D

trustnobodynever, Oct 27, 2009 IP