1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sedo is still down

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Traditione, Oct 26, 2009.

So, there was the whole fiasco during the ending minutes of the Great Domains auction for October that sent the system crashing down October 22.

The official word from Sedo is that there was a massive DDoS attack on the systems. They have to say this to save face whether or not there was an actual malicious attack, and they have not yet released any log what-so-ever of their pings to prove receiving so many packet requests.

What seems to be FAR more likely is that during the final 5 minutes of the auctions, when the vast majority of domainers try to snipe the price to make a quick grab, Sedo's system saw such a ridiculous spike in traffic that it couldn't handle it and shut down.

The Great Domain and new .de auctions are not going to be given the extra time they lost due to the system malfunction. You can agree or disagree with this, but it is only fair to wipe clean and move forward. Yes, that would be easy to do if some of the folks that were bidding on the domains and won have already made payments through Sedo's escrow system, effectively holding buyers to whatever was the last bid.

No one has been able to access Sedo ever since it was back up around 2 hours after it initially crashed, only to crash again right after.

With so many disgruntled domainers and estimates of losses in $xx,xxx and up (no idea quite how they got this figure), Sedo's future, in my opinion, looks rather bleak. Many sellers have started calling their account reps at Sedo only to be given the standard party line that the system was invaded. If that is the case, Sedo has much more to worry about than unhappy clients, and might be pursued after under the fullest extent of the law.

This is all very shady, someone either made a huge mistake and did not plan their systems accordingly, or clearly walked away very happy from this while dragging many others down. If the latter is the case, I hope Sedo will take action as soon as possible and get their act together as it is a pretty decent marketplace.

Please share whatever info you have on Sedo's downtime and potential reactivation and experiences you've encountered with their system.

UPDATE: All sites parked at Sedo are currently down as well.

Traditione, Oct 26, 2009 IP
    Toopac likes this.
  2. vivideye.ca

vivideye.ca Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's up and running now. I just checked my parked domains and sedo.com. Are you still having issues?

vivideye.ca, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  3. oldman35

oldman35 Peon

Best Answers:
    Me work fine.......im been lock in everydays.........................

oldman35, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  4. hostingdirect24

hostingdirect24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Never had any issue with Sedo. Very strange.

hostingdirect24, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  5. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sedo is pretty much up.. what are u talking abt exactly where did it say abt the DDOS

Bohra, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  6. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sedo.com is working? I get no connectivity to it, nor the sites I have parked there.

Just tried connecting to Sedo and my sites at 4:50 pm CST, got nothing

UPDATE: here's the party line from SedoCoUk at DNForum.com

"Due to a malicious attempt to disrupt our services, Sedo suffered from two different distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks which temporarily caused the Sedo and GreatDomains.com websites to be slow or irresponsive between 17:55 and 20:15 CET on October, 22nd 2009 (11:55 and 2:15 PM EDT). Together with its protection provider, Prolexic, Sedo successfully fought both attacks and our websites are again fully operational. While the GreatDomains auction has concluded, to provide equal opportunities for all parties interested of the 1, 2 & 3-Character .de Pre-Auction, Sedo has extended the auction and attempted to contact and notify all bidders of the extended schedule."

!!!!
    Further speaking of the Devil, Sedo.co.uk seems to be connecting fine for me... but .com is not, but it also isn't going straight 404 on me

I love Sedo, I just don't like the excuses. We would have been much more understanding if they would have owned up and been honest that they got a bit overwhelmed.

Peerguardian has started to also treat Sedo with a bit of suspicion lately, I think that deserves some looking into.

Mods can probably close this thread now

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Traditione, Oct 26, 2009 IP